Re: [orthodox-synod] Kursk Root Icon

  • Fr. Gregory Williams
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7, 2000
      Such a history, together with the liturgical service and akathist
      hymn in honor of the icon, are to be found in a book published by
      SJOKP; please see web catalog at: <www.kronstadt.org>.

      --
      --Fr. Gregory Williams

      1180 Orthodox Way
      Liberty, TN 37095-4366 USA

      Phone: (615) 536-5239
      FAX: (615) 536-5945
      E-mail: frgregory@...
    • Michael Malloy
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 24, 2003
        Can anyone tell me who the figures are surrounding the Theotokos in the
        Kursk Root icon? (It would be most helpful if the identification was given
        in order - clockwise or counter clockwise, just make it clear please.)

        Thank you!

        Reader Michael Malloy
        Choir director
        Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker Orthodox Church (OCA)
        Columbus Ohio
        ReaderMichael@...
        (Work e mail remains: malloy.2@...)

        "A Psalm is the tranquility of souls, the arbitrator of peace, restraining
        the disorder and turbulence of thoughts, for it softens the passion of the
        soul and moderates its unruliness. A Psalm forms friendships, unites the
        divided, mediates between enemies. For who can still consider him an enemy
        with whom he has set forth one voice to God? So that the singing of Psalms
        brings love, the greatest of good things, contriving harmony like some bond
        of union and uniting the people in the symphony of a single choir."

        St. Basil the Great; in: Strunk, W. Oliver (William Oliver), 1901- comp.:
        Source readings in music history from classical antiquity through the
        romantic era. New York, Norton [1950]
      • ourlittlecity@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 24, 2003
          In a message dated 12/24/2003 7:16:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          malloy.2@... writes:

          > Can anyone tell me who the figures are surrounding the Theotokos in the
          > Kursk Root icon? (It would be most helpful if the identification was given
          > in order - clockwise or counter clockwise, just make it clear please.)
          >
          > Thank you!

          They are the Old Testament Prophets.

          rdr. john dunn