Re: [orthodox-synod] The Incarnation in Popular Culture

  • Sandra Thompson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 6, 2000
      Why?

      http://www.egroups.com/group/orthodox-synod

    • pwrbarrett@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 6, 2000
        In a message dated 7/6/2000 9:28:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        sandra@... writes:

        << Why? >>

        Because I'm curious to see if anybody else's opinion
        agrees with mine. I think these examples reveal a
        debased view of humanity.

        C.G. Jung said, "About a third of my cases are suffering
        from no clinically definable neurosis, but from the
        senselessness and emptiness of their lives. It seems
        to me, however, that this can well be described as the
        general neurosis of our time."

        These examples of popular culture seem to me to
        indicate that this "general neurosis of our time" has
        become so widespread that some people now see
        it as a given of the human condition. There can be
        no Incarnation because without this senselessness,
        without despair, one can't be fully human. I think
        it's rather shocking if our culture has become so
        debased that we now see this kind of senselessness
        and emptiness as normal.

        The lyrics, "What if God was ... just a slob like one
        of us" reveal, it seems to me, a lot about how we
        look at ourselves and the world.

        I was wondering if anyone else had the same
        impression.

        Patrick
      • LJames6034@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 9, 2000
          My maternal grandfather was a mine superintendent. In those days, the
          superintendent was Father Figure, as well as employer.

          Once, and I only know this story via word-of-mouth, via my mother, one of
          the men came running to my grandfather and said to him: "Some quickly, my
          son is bleeding to death."

          My grandfather paused for a moment and said: "Go home, the bleeding has
          stopped."

          Was it a miracle?

          I was supposed to believe it was. How else could one explain such a thing?
          Hence, it is not necessarily for one to God Incarnate to do such things. One
          has only to believe.

          As Jesus said: "Greater things than these shall you do."

          But, all the more reason to suppose that one who is flesh and blood can, in
          fact, know what it is like to do such things, and NOT be God.

          ALJJ+