The Incarnation in Popular Culture

  • pwrbarrett@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2000
      I apologize for cross-posting this. In addition, somebody
      is sure to point out that I could spend my time better.
      But I'd like to see what kind of comments y'all have on
      how the Incarnation is viewed in popular culture, and I
      have two examples. The first basically denies (or seems
      ignorant of) the Incarnation; the second implies that it
      doesn't matter. Both represent heretical views; I know
      that. But I'd like to know if anyone has any insights
      beyond pointing out the heretical nature of these views.

      Let me be clear that I'm not advocating these points of
      view. I'm just looking for some perceptive comment on them.

      * * * * * * *

      The first is the song "One of Us," by Joan Osborne. It
      says, in part:

      what if God was one of us?
      just a slob like one of us?
      just a stranger on the bus
      trying to make his way home?

      if God had a face, what would it look like?
      and would you want to see
      if seeing meant that you would have to believe
      in things like heaven and in jesus
      and the saints and all the prophets?

      * * * * * * *

      The second is "Memnoch the Devil," by Anne Rice.
      Understand that this novel denies the full humanity
      of our Savior. She has Him say:

      "I am God Incarnate. How could I have a human soul?
      What is important is that I will remain in this body as
      it is tortured and slain; and my death will be evidence
      of my Love for those whom I have created and allowed
      to suffer so much. I will share their pain and know their

      He also says that at times He even allowed Himself to
      forget He was God, but at the time He has this conversation
      with the devil, He's fully aware of His divinity:

      "You've known all along that you were God. You mentioned
      times when you thought you were mad or almost forgot,
      but those were brief! Too brief! And now as you plot your
      death, you know Who you are and you won't forget it, will you?"

      "No, I won't. I must be the Son of God Incarnate to fulfill my
      ministry, to work my miracles, of course. That's the whole

      "Then, Lord, you don't know what it means to be flesh!"

      Patrick Barrett