Kursk Root Icon

  • pwrbarrett@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 5, 2000
      In a message dated 7/5/2000 3:43:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      sraar@... writes:

      << does anyone have a short history of the Kursk Ikon of the Mother of
      God,
      which includes the history from its exile from Russia and protection of the
      Church Abroad ? >>

      The history of the Kursk Root Icon was printed in Orthodox Life,
      Vol. 32, No. 6 (Nov.-Dec. 1982), pp. 2-7. Offhand, I can't remember
      how much of its history "in exile" is included. The same issue
      includes an akathist before the icon, and an account of recent
      miracles connected with the icon. Unfortunately, Vol. 32 is no longer
      available -- the monastery usually keeps the last ten years or
      so in print.

      I don't have the time to type this article out today, but if you can't
      find it elsewhere, I can try to do it later this week, or you can send
      me your snail mail address and I can photocopy all three articles
      and mail them to you on Saturday.

      Patrick Barrett
    • Fr. Gregory Williams
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 7, 2000
        Such a history, together with the liturgical service and akathist
        hymn in honor of the icon, are to be found in a book published by
        SJOKP; please see web catalog at: <www.kronstadt.org>.

        --
        --Fr. Gregory Williams

        1180 Orthodox Way
        Liberty, TN 37095-4366 USA

        Phone: (615) 536-5239
        FAX: (615) 536-5945
        E-mail: frgregory@...
      • Michael Malloy
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 24, 2003
          Can anyone tell me who the figures are surrounding the Theotokos in the
          Kursk Root icon? (It would be most helpful if the identification was given
          in order - clockwise or counter clockwise, just make it clear please.)

          Thank you!

          Reader Michael Malloy
          Choir director
          Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker Orthodox Church (OCA)
          Columbus Ohio
          ReaderMichael@...
          (Work e mail remains: malloy.2@...)

          "A Psalm is the tranquility of souls, the arbitrator of peace, restraining
          the disorder and turbulence of thoughts, for it softens the passion of the
          soul and moderates its unruliness. A Psalm forms friendships, unites the
          divided, mediates between enemies. For who can still consider him an enemy
          with whom he has set forth one voice to God? So that the singing of Psalms
          brings love, the greatest of good things, contriving harmony like some bond
          of union and uniting the people in the symphony of a single choir."

          St. Basil the Great; in: Strunk, W. Oliver (William Oliver), 1901- comp.:
          Source readings in music history from classical antiquity through the
          romantic era. New York, Norton [1950]
        • ourlittlecity@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 24, 2003
            In a message dated 12/24/2003 7:16:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            malloy.2@... writes:

            > Can anyone tell me who the figures are surrounding the Theotokos in the
            > Kursk Root icon? (It would be most helpful if the identification was given
            > in order - clockwise or counter clockwise, just make it clear please.)
            >
            > Thank you!

            They are the Old Testament Prophets.

            rdr. john dunn