My absence

  • LJames6034@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2000
      As His Britannic Majesty, King Charles, II, said, as he lay dying: "Pardon
      me this unconscionable delay."

      I received a telephone call, one evening. It was from a sales person for AOL
      "long distance." I was promised various things. Five cents a minute,
      etc., etc. And, one of the inducements was "three months free AOL."

      One supposes (and, I think is intended to suppose) that will be three
      continguous months. Not so.

      The first month came and went. I was charged for AOL services. I called.
      I was told: "You had the opportunity to ask when those months might be."

      "Young man," I answered, "this is ethically unconscionable. Your salesperson
      deliberately misled me."

      As a consequence, I canceled AOL.

      When I did that, I also canceled all of you!

      As you may perceive: I was the one who was being punished. Given the
      answer made by the young man to whom I spoke, AOL doesn't care one way or
      the other how they do business, so long as they do business.

      Which president of the USA was (Coolidge?) who said: "The busienss of
      America IS business." And, in the immortal words of Commodore Vanderbilt:
      "The people be damned! Ain't I got the power?!"

      Anyway, I am back.

      Father Andrew