Please pray for our parish

  • Peter Serko
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2000
      Dear Brothers and Sisters In Christ,

      It is with some reluctance that I write this for public consumption
      but, I fear that situation is so grave that I must ask each of you
      for your prayers for our parish.

      Our parish, St Nicholas Cathedral (ROCOR) in Seattle, is currently
      under attack by a small minority of parishioners who are instigating
      legal action in an attempt to take over the parish(although they are
      claiming to be saving it!). Ours is a parish with a long history of
      problems. Want to strike fear in the heart of a Synodal priest,
      threaten to send him to Seattle! Bishop Nektary, of blessed memory,
      is reputed to have called Seattle his "Golgotha".

      Fr. Serafim Gascoigne (a British convert(problem #1); five of his ten
      children are monastics) our current priest, has done a magnificent
      job transforming the parish from a ethnic social club to the
      beginnings of a genuine spiritual community. However, there a
      number of long-time parish members (some who show up a few times a
      year) who do not like these changes. They want to return to the "old
      ways".

      For instance, Fr. Serafim was recently admonished by a prominent
      church member for communing people too often. Others claim that he
      is starting a cult because there are a growing number of people who
      commune frequently.
      Prior to Fr. Serafim's tenure it was common to have no adult
      communicants on Sundays, now it is common to have 20-30 adults.

      I could go on and on. Too many converts, too much English, replacing
      old "paintings" with real traditional icons .......

      This trouble is without doubt a demonic attack. Needless to say we
      are in grave danger due to this and a number of other complicating
      factors not appropriate to share here.

      Please keep us in your prayers

      Peter Serko