It's not too late to register for the upcoming English Spring Choir Seminar, June 21-25

  • Fr. George & Deborah Johnson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2000
      There is still time to register for the upcoming St. Romanos the Melodist
      Society English Spring Choir Seminar, June 21-25: Russian Orthodox Chant in
      the English language.

      Dedicated to the needs of Orthodox parishes using English as a liturgical
      language, this seminar will build on the groundwork laid at previous
      seminars. We will continue our study of the historical, aesthetic and
      practical aspects of adapting traditional Russian chant to English texts.
      Lectures, workshops, and open discussions will offer an enriching program of
      interest to individuals from all backgrounds and levels of experience.  The
      Divine Services, which will include the music of the first Sunday after
      Pentecost, will illustrate the beauty of Church Slavonic melodies chanted in
      English.  The seminar music book will include new music in English.

      The Seminar will be held June 21-25, 2000 at St. John the Baptist Russian
      Orthodox Cathedral in Washington, D.C. It will culminate with the All-Night
      Vigil and Divine Liturgy for the Sunday of All Saints.

      The Seminar Music Book is about to go to press; each each attendee will get
      a copy of it. It contains over 200 pages of typeset music. Among the new
      music which will be included in the Seminar Music Book, and which will be
      sung by the seminar choir, will be newly available English adaptations of
      the following:
      "Blessed is the Man," by Kedrov Jr.
      "Trisagion" - Georgian chant melody
      "Cherubic Hymn" Opus 27, No. 5, "Sophronievskaya" by Pavel Chesnokov
      "A Mercy of Peace" from "Church Choirs" - Volume 2, Hymns of the Liturgy -
      No. 24, by A.V. Kastorsky
      "It is Truly Meet" - Bulgarian Chant
      "Communion Verses" for the Sunday of All Saints: Praise the Lord and Rejoice
      in the Lord, arranged by Kovalevsky to the melody "Rejoice in the Lord."

      Presenters at the seminar include Fr. George Johnson, Nicolas Schidlovsky,
      Peter Fekula, Fr. Michael Carney, Claudia Maxey, and Paula Genis.

      We hope you can come to the seminar, or send someone from your parish, or
      sponsor someone from another parish. Currently there are about 40 people
      who are coming. That includes several missionary scholarships which we have
      given, and are willing to give more, if there is a need (let us know).
      There is room for more!

      For more information:
      web site: http://saintromanos.org
      email: llew@..., or SaintRomanos@...