Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Fanatics vs. Serbian Orthodoxy

  • rjmanz
    Message 1 of 4 , May 22, 2000
      Dear Synod List,

      Not wanting to add futher flame to the history of controversy on this
      list, I unfortunately feel compelled to support Joseph Digrande a little bit.
      Already the tone of this thread has degenerated into name calling with words
      like "fanatics" in the titles of the topic threads with this Serbian issue.
      How unfortunate.
      As much as I appreciate the fact that there are many traditionalist
      Serbian laity, clergy and bishops, and the fact that historically the Serbs
      where ROCORs biggest supporters, how are we to view any acts by their
      patriarch -- or any of their bishops when they engage in ecumenical prayers,
      and promote the "sister Church" issue?
      Since I've never witnessed such activities by the Serbs I have to say that
      this is all hearsay, but if such things are true, are not those critics of
      Joseph being a bit two-faced? we are quick to chide the new Calendarists on
      these very issues. (I guess ultimately, none of this matters except what
      our bishops say anyway.) Perhaps someone can enlighten me?
      --
      Nectarios Manzanero
      St. John Maximovitch Mission, Austin,TX
      Message 2 of 4 , May 22, 2000
        Christ is Risen! Truly He is Risen!

        Nectarios Manzanero wrote,

        > Not wanting to add futher flame to the history of controversy on this
        > list, I unfortunately feel compelled to support Joseph Digrande a little
        > bit. ...where ROCORs biggest supporters, how are we to view any acts by
        > their patriarch -- or any of their bishops when they engage in
        > ecumenical prayers, and promote the "sister Church" issue?

        I will add my voice to Joseph's, for the same reason. They had a big
        ecumenical shindig with the romans in January, I believe, that was
        reported on this list.

        Add to that, from what I've heard, their support for ROCOR has gone by the
        wayside now (n'est-ce pas, Ohio?) Not astonishing... Alexy II Drozdov
        concelebrated with the Serbian Patriarch just a while back and I would
        imagine that he let it be known at just what price the continued support
        of Russia and the MP would come.

        With Christ's love,
        Rd. Constantine

        # Reader Constantine Wright PO Box 774, Athens, GA 30603 #
        # constantinew@... constans@... #
        # Personal Page- http://members.tripod.com/~constans_wright #
        #-----------------------------------------------------------#
        # Joy of All Who Sorrow Eastern Orthodox Church (ROCOR) #
        # Church Web Site - http://www.churchabroad.org/parish/htm #
      • emrys
        Message 3 of 4 , May 22, 2000

          And Rd. Constantine wrote:

          "They had a big ecumenical shindig with the romans in January,
          ***I believe****, that was reported on this list........

          "Add to that, ****from what I've heard****......."

          Gentlemen, aren't you ashamed of yourselves and your rush to judge the
          Serbian Church, something which your own hierarchy has not done, while
          all the time hedging your bets, just in case you are mistaken, with what
          are frankly rather cowardly disqualifiers such as "this is all hearsay,"
          and "I believe" and "from what I've heard."

          My dear brothers who sign off "With Christ's love," please may we see
          the evidence of this love towards our brethren in the Serbian Church.
          Don't lead us into sin by your "hearsay" and your gossip and your
          frantic need to judge.

          Father Ambrose
        • Joseph Digrande
          Message 4 of 4 , May 23, 2000
            Dear Gregory: I am in the Synod and my spiritual
            father is Father Nektary of Jerusalem. My stance
            toward the Latins is exactly that of St. Justin
            Popovich. Therefore I am dead set against the Serbian
            Patriarchate's involement in the WCC and its common
            prayer service in Rome in January with the Latins and
            in Sarajevo. In fact reading St. Justin- he is much
            more blunt and forthright on ecumenism especially with
            (the Latins and the Papacy) then many Greek Old
            Calendrists.

            http://click.egroups.com/1/4054/7/_/4386/_/958988599/

            http://im.yahoo.com/