Cyberstalking on OUR Lists!

  • Dr. Elizabeth W. Riggs
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2000
      Dear Listmates,

      Christ is Risen! Indeed, He is Risen!

      This is really bad news for all of us. There has been a case of
      cyberstalking - and even unsolicited and unwanted telephone calls
      to a member of this list!

      I want to remind everyone that this is ILLEGAL, and the people who
      do so may be subject to arrest if they continue. Congress is
      debating enacting a law making these kinds of activities a felony,
      as the following recent newsbrief indicates.
      = = = =
      THE EPIDEMIC OF CYBERSTALKING
      Stalking is a very real threat on the Internet, as the medium's
      anonymous nature allows stalkers to terrorize their victims with
      a great degree of secrecy. Cyberstalking victims and advocacy
      groups frequently complain that when they turn to the police for
      help, officers do not take the threats seriously. California has
      the recognition of being the first state to put a cyberstalking
      law on the books. That law went into effect last year. Now
      Congress is debating a similar law. The Stalking Prevention and
      Victim Protection Act of 2000 has already won the approval of the
      House and is awaiting review by the Senate. "The fact that
      Congress is considering making it a federal crime and felony is
      an indication of how serious the problem is and that we need a
      national solution to it," says Nancy Savitt, chief legal officer
      for the Internet safety group Cyberangels. Cyberstalking laws
      have been implemented in fewer than half the states, most of
      which make the crime only a misdemeanor, Savitt says. Statistics
      show that the majority of cyberstalkers are men who know their
      female victims. (Wired News, 2 May 2000)
      = = = =

      I pray that the perpetrators will cease this unwholesome activity.
      There is absolutely *~*NO*~* excuse for it, no matter the
      differences you may have with others on the e-lists to which you
      belong!

      Thank you.

      Yours in Christ,
      Elizabeth Riggs, a sinner
      and Perennial Student
      http://www.mindspring.com/~ewriggs/church.htm
      Our Lady, the Joy of All Who Sorrow Church (ROCOR)
      Cumming, GA USA (Atlanta, GA area)
      http://www.churchabroad.org
      Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory Forever!