Re: [orthodox-synod] Glorification of Saint Raphael and ROCOR

  • Daniel Lieuwen
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2000
      What is the likelihood that the Patriarchate of Antioch will recognize
      the canonization of "Saint Raphael", given that they refused to endorse
      it? Until the Antiochian Patriarchate accepts the canonization, I wonder
      if anyone but the OCA will recognize the canonization.

      The quotes around "Saint Raphael" should not be taken as disparaging him.
      He was a very good man. The question is whether 1) he was a saint and
      2) whether the OCA really had the authority to canonize him and 3) even if
      1) and 2) are true, was this the proper time to canonize him given the
      minimal amount (that I have seen) of veneration of him.

      Under the mercy,

      Daniel
    • Carl Potter
      Message 2 of 4 , May 5, 2000
        Considering that Antiochian Bishops were present at the Glorification
        and the recent issue of "The Word" (the official publication of the
        Antiochian Archdiocese in America) had two separate articles on the
        topic with an Icon of Saint Raphael on the cover...your allegations
        seem pretty unfounded. Where do you get your information?

        See also
        http://www.antiochian.org/ for front page coverage along with
        http://www.antiochian.org/News/Bishop_RAPHAEL.html

        --- In orthodox-synod@egroups.com, Daniel Lieuwen <lieuwen@r...>

      • orthodixie@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , May 5, 2000
          Carl Potter responds to Daniel Lieuwen's assertion that Antioch may not be
          "behind" the glorification:

          > ...your allegations
          > seem pretty unfounded. Where do you get your information?

          Yes, the recent issue of The Word magazine, the house organ of the Antiochian
          Archdiocese, did contain two articles about Bishop Raphael Hawaweeny. Also,
          just today, I received a newsletter from an AA parish which states:

          "His Beatitude, Metropolitan THEODOSIUS, Primate of the Orthodox Church in
          America, will preside at the Rite of Canonization. Concelebrating with him
          will be His Beatitude, Metropolitan SAWA of Warsaw and all Poland, members of
          the Holy Synod of the Orthodox Church in America, His Grace, Bishop BASIL and
          His Grace, Bishop DEMETRI, Auxiliary Bishops of the Antiochian Archdiocese,
          in addition to other hierarchs and clergy from throughout the Orthodox
          Church."

          Christ is Risen!

          Fr Joseph Huneycutt
          St Nicholas Church (ROCOR) - Fletcher, NC
          http://www.stnicholasparish.org/
        • Steve Lammert
          Message 4 of 4 , May 8, 2000
            Daniel Lieuwen wrote:

            > What is the likelihood that the Patriarchate of Antioch will recognize
            > the canonization of "Saint Raphael", given that they refused to endorse
            > it? Until the Antiochian Patriarchate accepts the canonization, I wonder
            > if anyone but the OCA will recognize the canonization.
            >
            > The quotes around "Saint Raphael" should not be taken as disparaging him.
            > He was a very good man. The question is whether 1) he was a saint and
            > 2) whether the OCA really had the authority to canonize him and 3) even if
            > 1) and 2) are true, was this the proper time to canonize him given the
            > minimal amount (that I have seen) of veneration of him.

            Mmph. Well, viewing it as I do from "inside" a small parish of the
            Archdiocese, I would have to agree that one *could* get the impression of
            Bishop Raphael's glorification being something of a top-down affair. Maybe
            I just don't get out much -- or at least, not to the homes of our Arab
            parishoners -- but I don't know anyone who has icons of him about their
            person or their homes, whereas one sees quite a few icons of St. John
            (Maximovich) of Shanghai and SF.