FWD: IBCHAT/BBC/G. SPRUKSTS: GIVE ME THE BOY OR I SHOOT

  • rus-am_info_services@prodigy.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2000
      Here are more postings regarding Elian's freedom in the United States and
      communism around the world, including Russia!

      From: "Bill Friend" <zevei@...>
      To: <rus-am_info_services@...>,
      "Robert E. Nordlander" <nord@...>
      Subject: Re: [sn-vesti 5201] 'Give me the boy or I shoot'
      Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 05:59:44 -0400

      Yeah, I completely agree with him Bob. Here's my analogy. Also true. My
      wife Barbara's mother and her family had to escape from the Nazis during
      the 30s. Because the parents were interested more in the safety of the
      children and the ability to live in freedom and not in tyranny, they placed
      her mom and two brothers on a ship bound for the United States across the
      Atlantic where they were to live with relatives (uncles and cousins) whom
      they had never met.
      As with Elian, to the parents, the safety and welfare of the child
      superceded their own. Elian's mom gave the ultimate sacrifice for
      this. Fortunately, in our case, Bobbi's grandparents both made it to the
      US eventually. Oh yes, with all of the trashing of Pope Pius XII, I'd also
      like to note that the Grandfather (Wolf) was smuggled out of Europe by the
      Vatican, disguised as a sick priest who needed an operation that could only
      be performed in the United States. All of this occurred before 12/7/41
      when we entered WWII.

      Bill

      I would urge everyone to go to two websites I have found which are rather
      informative on the subject.

      (1) Keep Elian Gonzalez free from Communist Cuba at
      http://www.capitalismmagazine.com/cuba/thankyou.htm

      (2) Liberty for Elian Organization at http://libertyforelian.org/

      (Also, you may wish to sign the petition to keep Elian in the U.S. --Alexandra)

      Date: Tuesday, April 25, 2000 5:19 AM

      From: intrprtr@...
      Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 19:04:33 -0700
      To: orthodox-forum@...
      Subject: Re: What a great day to be an American

      At 06:01 PM 4/23/2000 -0700, Jeff Nyman wrote:

      There is no reason why the boy should be made into a political
      football. He needs to be with his dad.
      Nilus a Sinner

      Except that Castro will never allow it, and a Cuban _kolkhoz_ will be
      little Elian's next destination (if he is lucky, that is). But that,
      apparently, is of little concern to the average liberal-minded
      *boobus-americanus*!! [present company excepted, of course.... >;-)]

      How well I recall the extent to which such people mocked and persecuted
      Russian refugees from communism, too! How often such people would come
      into our church-hall and exclaim, indignantly: "What kinda Russians are
      you? Why don't you have any portraits of Lenin and Stalin (or,
      alternatively, "of Lenin and Trotsky," if they happened to be of *that*
      persuasion) hanging on the walls?"

      How well, too, I recall the many employment opportunities which required
      Russian language skills that I lost out on, only because I happened to be
      "the wrong kind of Russian!" Even today, Russophobia is still rampant in
      the U.S. Even today, P.L. 86-90 has still not been repealed! Even today,
      the erstwhile U.S.S.R., in its "new" guise of "the C.I.S.," is wrongly
      referrred to by the ignorant as "Russia"!

      -- GeoS (a Russian Orthodox Christian and a first-generation
      Russian-American refugee from communism, whose own Mother literally went
      through hell to get him to freedom!)

      At 04:44 PM 4/23/2000 -0500, Robert E. Nordlander wrote:
      ISSUE 1794 Sunday 23 April 2000

      SUNDAY TELEGRAPH - LONDON

      Mr Clinton shows courage in taking on Miami
      By John Simpson

      'Give me the boy or I shoot'

      HOWEVER they did it, it took considerable political courage for President
      Clinton and his Attorney General, Janet Reno, to tear Elian Gonzalez away
      from his Miami relatives - and their backers, who wanted to prevent his
      return to Cuba.

      Past administrations have not dared challenge the Cuban-American community
      in Miami, and had he not been leaving office in a matter of months, Mr
      Clinton might have hesitated too. His Vice-President, the hapless Al Gore,
      had already caved in and said that Elian should stay. He presumably thought
      this good politics, but it doesn't bode well for a principled presidency if
      he wins the election in November.

      American politics is bedevilled by the concept of the multiple choice
      question in the same way as the American education system. Complicated
      issues are reduced to the simplest of tabloid slogans.

      For five months, the subject of US relations with Fidel Castro's Cuba has
      been allowed to shrink to a "tick one of the following boxes" exercise in
      USA Today: should Elian be reunited with his father in Cuba, or be allowed
      to stay in the United States - the country his mother died trying to reach?
      In law, there was only ever one answer: unless there is some overriding
      reason to prevent it, a six-year-old child belongs with his father or mother.

      Cuba has been nothing but trouble for America. Until Castro's revolution in
      1959, it was a breeding ground for gangsterism; since then it has been a
      political - and, briefly, a military - threat. As for the Cuban community
      in the United States, they have achieved a good deal, but have helped to
      rot the fabric of American political culture.

      You certainly don't have to accept the crime writer James Ellroy's fantasy
      in American Tabloid to suspect that Cuban exiles played some part in the
      murder of John F Kennedy. The worst scandal of the Reagan era, Iran-Contra,
      had strong Cuban links too.

      Every president for 40 years has been obliged to play up to those who can
      deliver the Cuban-American vote, numbering more than 500,000 electors. The
      man who most wanted Elian to stay in Miami, and who now has the most to
      lose, is Jorge Mas Santos, the head of the hardline Cuban American National
      Foundation. His father, Jorge Mas Canosa, was a hugely influential
      millionaire who could make Washington do whatever he wanted where Cuba was
      concerned.

      But after Mr Mas Canosa died three years ago, the foundation's influence
      waned. The Elian issue revived it and Mr Mas Santos has usually been in
      evidence at the demonstrations outside the depressing house in "Little
      Havana", the Miami suburb where Elian's relatives live. The case had suited
      Castro, too. His Havana rallies haven't seen such big turn-outs for years,
      and he has exploited the fact that Elian was in the grip of the Right.

      When Castro's days are over, people like Mr Mas Santos will return to Cuba,
      demanding back property taken from their families by the revolution. The
      threat from Cuban-Americans is strong in Cuba itself, and Castro has played
      on this too.

      When he warned Washington that armed guards had been brought in by Mr Mas
      Santos to prevent federal marshals from sending Elian back to his father,
      it was partly a message to his own people. In the meantime, at the heart of
      all this is a bemused six-year-old boy, trying hard to satisfy the
      conflicting demands of adults who want to make use of him.

      Outside the house, crowds gathered in the belief that Elian had healing
      powers. They would hold up sick children to him over the suburban link
      fence. Once, as he played, older people gathered outside shouting: "Touch
      me, Elian!"

      The idea that he has supernatural powers was fostered by the man who
      rescued him from the choppy waters off Florida on Thanksgiving Day last
      November, and who rejoices in the name of Donato Dalrymple. According to
      Dalrymple, Elian was the only one of the three survivors who had not
      suffered from being at sea for three days. The others were sunburned and
      suffering badly from jellyfish stings.

      Elian was unaffected, lending him the staus of an icon. Long after the
      adults who have been manipulating him have forgotten his very name, Elian
      Gonzalez's life will have been ruined by what they have put him through.

      * John Simpson is the BBC's World Affairs Editor