[orthodox-synod] Re: "Well-meaning autocrats"

  • LJames6034@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1 11:24 AM
      Some years ago, CBS-TV News did some research into the opinions of the
      working class in Paris, with reference to restoring the monarchy. Oddly
      enough, more than 51 percent of the working stiffs said they would like the
      monarchy restored. They said it would give "dignity and stability."

      This being written by one of the only Orthodox priests in town who has
      actually been to St-Denis Abbey, to bless the reputed place of burial of King
      Louis XVI and Queen Marie Antoinette. (Mother Alexandra once told me she
      thought they had had quick lime poured over them.) So, there is always a
      place in my heart for the dear dead days beyond recall; I used to tell my
      children: "Some day, we will restore the monarchy in France."

      Louis XVI and his government paid for most of the American Revolution. More
      than 60 percent of the French government's debt, in July, 1789, was
      occasioned by spending to defeat the English on these shores.

      God bless King Louis. He was apparently a good soul. Incompetent as a
      ruler, but a good soul. I have defended his honor, and that of Queen Marie
      Antoinette, several times in various papers and magazines, because they are
      much (and ignorantly) maligned.

      On the 14th of July, 1789, King Louis wrote a single French word in his
      diary: "Nothing."

      Ah, but whatever he meant by that was certainly not what had happened that
      day.
      When he finally heard about what happened, King Louis asked: "C'est un
      revolte?
      (Is it a revolt?)

      "Non Sire," the answer came, "c'est un revolution."

      We can never get the genie back into the bottle. Never. Even the
      ideologues among us will have to admit the truth of that.

      Father Andrew