[orthodox-synod] Re: Consuming vodka

  • LJames6034@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2000
      Uncle Cyril, were he on this list, would, as I have several times, apologize
      to Father Ambrose in New Zealand, for that Irish story. And, I am sure,
      Uncle Cyril doubtless meant that all Irishmen are poets.

      Father Andrew
    • TeklaI@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2000
        The point of my post was this, which you missed:

        I am responsible for what I do to my own body, not someone else.

        This flies in the face of post-Freudian thinking, but it is in line with New
        Testament thinking. I believe that many posting here have failed to take a
        look at their cultural assumptions, being immersed in them.

        Elizabeth
      • Joseph Digrande
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2000
          That is very true- that one is responsible for one's
          thoughts and actions.
          Likewise autocratic governments are responsible for
          their policies like the support for opium trade with
          China or profit and control of the vodka trade in
          Russia.
          That is why governmental support of abortion in this
          country is seen as evil and needs to be opposed. Of
          course every woman can choose but the government and
          private groups who support abortion on demand as a
          right are opposed for being partially responsible for
          the "culture of death"
          Since autorcrats have much more power than government
          that is divided, the introduction, sale, distribution
          of vodka in Russia by the Orthodox state was immoral
          and needed to be opposed. Not opposing it weakened the
          monarchy, the Church and the Orthodox family- the
          backbone of society. Also someone born with fetal
          alcohol syndrome or FAE is a responsible victim with
          an extremely heavy cross to bear. There were many of
          them in Russia as well (and there are many today).
          The Romanovs and the Windsors were cousins- extremely
          well educated- I wonder if the opium and vodka trade
          ever came up between them on their visits with each
          other.

          http://click.egroups.com/1/2579/5/_/4386/_/954600117/

          http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=orthodox-synod&m=1

          http://im.yahoo.com