[orthodox-synod] Re: God's Anointed, St. Theodosius the Great

  • LJames6034@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31 6:53 PM
      Having recently completed an article on the Emperor Magnus Maximus, for a
      magazine called Military History, I know that St. Theodosius the Great, the
      anointed Emperor of Rome, was complicitous in the murder of Victor, the
      infant son of the Emperor Magnus Maximus.

      Having defeated Magnus in battle, Theodosius, the eastern emperor, had him
      beheaded. That was politics, in those days.

      Infanticide, however, is so morally contemptible, one wonders how God's
      anointed would not know that? He could argue that the 5 to 7 thousand
      persons he caused to be killed in the arena were in rebellion, but what had
      an innocent child done?

      Perhaps the German expression "heilsgeschicte" (holy history) covers it? The
      story is told not so much to be historical truth, as to bolster a point of
      view supportive of a particular religious perspective.

      Father Andrew