[orthodox-synod] Re: In the Matter Of "God's Anointed"

  • Joseph Digrande
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2000
      I have a question, having read the original post:
      Can a Czar who had thus been anointed ever be
      excommunicated by the Church?
      Can what happenned to St. Theodosius the Great (he was
      excommunicated by St. Ambrose of Milan for killing
      7000 men, women and children) and later repented
      happen to such a Czar.
      Was the Church correct in ignoring the murder of St.
      Phillip of Moscow by Ivan the Terrible (much less the
      murders of many other innocent people). Does the fact
      that Ivan the Terrible was anointed by God, protect
      him from any consequence enacted by the Church (like
      excommunication). And if the answer is that Czars are
      a law unto themselves while on earth, was this a
      development in Russia alone?
      The decree of 1613 (at the start of the Romanov
      dynasty) seems to state that the Patriarch has no
      power to control the czar over any matter, religious
      or civil. What happens if the Czar preaches heresy?
      Can he be excommunicated or removed for such a thing?

      --- intrprtr@... wrote:

      > Several posts have been made to this List in the
      > course of the last few
      > days, or so, which disparage the sacred memory of
      > Tsar' St. Nicholas II --
      > the LAST Tsar' of Russia, to say nothing of
      > disparaging the very concept of
      > Sacred Monarchy, in general.
      >
      > While such attacks might seem to be excusable when
      > they come from those who
      > are not Orthodox -- or from those whose Orthodoxy
      > has been "compromised" or
      > "tainted" by the spirit of antichrist -- it is
      > ignominiously despicable
      > when it comes from those who claim to be Orthodox
      > members of the Russian
      > Orthodox Church Abroad!
      >
      > Has our spiritual upbringing been so shoddy that we
      > no longer have *any*
      > knowledge whatsoever of the Orthodox teaching
      > concerning "God's
      > Anointed"? Are not the basic tenets of the Orthodox
      > Faith being taught in
      > ROCOR's church schools in America anymore? Does
      > ROCOR even *have* church
      > schools in America anymore? And if it does, do the
      > teachers there now
      > subscribe to the neo-orthodox notion that we can
      > pick, choose, and ignore
      > at leisure the doctrines and canons of the Orthodox
      > Faith, including the
      > "anathemas" of Orthodoxy Sunday? In particular, the
      > one which states:
      >
      > >To such as deny the Grace [imparted to the Monarch]
      > in the Mystery of
      > >Anointing [him] to the Throne and to [his] Royal
      > service, which is an
      > >especially unique service rendered to the Church of
      > Christ, and who thus
      > >audaciously dare to rebel and to commit treason
      > against them: anathema!
      >
      > Should we not be ashamed of our ignorance regarding
      > Sacred Monarchy, when
      > even one such as Shakespeare (and he was certainly
      > far from being an
      > Orthodox Christian!) knew enough in his day to
      > write:
      >
      > >Not all the water in the rough rude sea
      > >Can wash the balm off from an anointed king;
      > >The breath of worldly men cannot depose
      > >The deputy elected by the Lord:
      >
      > Nicholas II, Emperor and Tsar' of All Russia became
      > such at His coronation,
      > when He was anointed with "the balm of Heav'n" (the
      > "Oil of Gladness," as
      > the Bible calls it). And He *remained* such, *even
      > unto the very moment of
      > His death*, which is *why* He was -- why He *had* to
      > be --
      > ritually-sacrificed to the powers of hell by
      > Christ's enemies; and why,
      > consequently, He has been glorified by God as the
      > Martyr-TSAR' -- rather
      > than merely as the martyred "citizen" Nikolai
      > Romanov.
      >
      > Had He ever been *other* than the Tsar', following
      > His Coronation -- had He
      > ever actually become, in effect, a mere "citizen"
      > (as some claim) following
> [...]
      === message truncated ===

      http://im.yahoo.com