[orthodox-synod] Re: Any monarchy

  • LJames6034@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2000
      It is the legal theory that the monarch is the embodiment of the law: "The
      king can do no wrong." Indeed, even in republican America, that
      "sovereign right" (of a city or state) can been seen in the "right of
      eminent domaine."

      Hence, when His Brittanic Majesty, King Charles I, was put on trial by the
      people, he was quite right to refuse to answer their charges. "Tell me by
      what right you try me," he said, "and I shall answer."

      They told him the crown was elective.

      He answered: "The crown has been granted by the grace of God, for more than
      a thousand years."

      He was right. They were wrong. They still tried him and executed him.

      I can only think of one noble family in Britain which claims "divine right."
      The family of Marr. The Countess of Marr, Joanna, is styled "Joanna, by
      the Grace of God, Countess of Marr." That is because the counts of Marr
      hold a title which preceeds the crown. It is held from God, not from the
      crown.

      And, then, too, since Ireland has been referenced, together with a reference
      to the Norman kings, let me just note that: Pope Adrian IV gave Ireland
      as a papal fief to my ancestor, King Henry, II. (Both my mother and my
      father are descendants of a bastard of Henry's son, King John.) With
      reference to the cause for this gift: Dr. Vladimir Moss and I were agreed,
      a year of so ago, on this List, that Pope Adrian made the gift of Ireland to
      Henry, because he wished to enforce papal obedience.

      Henry, and an English army, was the weapon against Irish deviation.

      It is one of the ironies of history that the Irish, having been given as a
      gift to Henry and the (damned) English, would come to cling to the pope, not
      as a slave to his/her master, but as a saviour. English racism and the
      oppressions brought on by protestantism are only partially to blame for that
      (misplaced) allegiance.

      I like to say to the Irish (forgive me, Father Ambrose!): "My family used to
      own your family. The pope gave you to us."

      A little Celtic humor, there.

      Father Andrew