Re: [orthodox-synod] 40th day prayers for Fr. Roman

  • michael nikitin
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 25, 2007
      I didn't see Metr. Vitaly's picture on the wall with the other
      reposed first hierarchs. Why is that?

      Michael N

      --- DDD <dimitradd@...> wrote:

      > On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 05:09:29 EDT, matanna@... wrote:
      > Today is the fortieth day after repose for mitred archpriest
      > Roman Lukianov.
      > Please keep him and his long suffering family in your prayers.
      > There will be
      > a pannikhida tonight at Holy Epiphany Church in Roslindale, MA
      > at seven p.m.
      >
      > In Christ,
      > Matushka Ann Lardas
      >
      > It was good to see you there--and so many others who came!
      > Today (Sunday) I could not believe it when I saw Batiushka's
      > photo on the wall with all our other reposed priests and
      > hierarchs. Somehow, to me, he will always still sit invisibly
      > at his place at trapeza....
      >
      > --Dimitra Dwelley
      > ___________________

      The fish are biting.
    • DDD
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 25, 2007
        On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 12:51:10 -0700 (PDT), michael nikitin wrote:

        I didn't see Metr. Vitaly's picture on the wall with the other
        reposed first hierarchs. Why is that?

        Michael N

        Simple--You stopped attending Holy Epiphany parish long before Metr. Vitaly reposed!

        ---Dimitra Dwelley (real name)
      • michael nikitin
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 25, 2007
          Dimitra, please tell the list why there is no photo of Metr.
          Vitaly on the wall where the other first hierarchs(Metr.
          Anthony(Khrapovitsky),blessed Metr. Anastassy and Holy Metr.
          Philaret are displayed?

          There is nothing wrong with not knowing, but don't try to hide
          the fact by evading the subject.

          I am sorry if the truth offended, but could it be because he was
          against joining the MP and fell out of favor with those who are
          for union. There was a place, now empty(?), where his photo hung.

          Michael N

          --- DDD <dimitradd@...> wrote:

          > On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 12:51:10 -0700 (PDT), michael nikitin
          > wrote:
          >
          > I didn't see Metr. Vitaly's picture on the wall with the other
          > reposed first hierarchs. Why is that?
          >
          > Michael N
          >
          > Simple--You stopped attending Holy Epiphany parish long before
          > Metr. Vitaly reposed!
          >
          > ---Dimitra Dwelley (real name)

          http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/
        • (matushka) Ann Lardas
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 26, 2007
            <nikitinmike@...> wrote:

            > I didn't see Metr. Vitaly's picture on the wall with the other
            > reposed first hierarchs. Why is that?
            >
            > Michael N

            When you ask the question like that, you make it sound like you made
            the effort to attend services for Batiushka.

            Were you there?

            If not, are you using a request for prayers for a departed archpriest
            whom so many of us love to gratuitously slam his grieving parish over
            something you've already asked about here before?

            What is Christian about that?

            I do not know why the photo is missing. Maybe it hurt to much to look
            at Vladyka Vitaly's photo knowing that he was in the hands of people
            who were abusing his trust up there in Canada. Maybe something
            happened to the frame and it was being replaced. Maybe it wasn't a
            very good picture and someone wanted to replace it with a better one
            and then some things came up.

            But let me focus, instead, on Fr. Roman. Maybe it will encourage
            others.

            We became parishioners when St. Mark of Ephesus Church burned down
            for the first time, the old one on 39 Albano Avenue where there is
            still just a vacant field now. My mother had died and my father was
            going to marry my very young stepmother and we started attending
            Sunday Liturgy there. Batiushka gradually got us to attend Vigil and
            the Saturday Church School as well. With varying degrees of success
            we learned to read Russian letters and sing the eight tones. Church
            School went from 3:00 to 5:00, with one hour of Law of God (in
            English for those who spoke no Russian and in Russian for everyone
            else) and one hour of Russian followed by children's choir practice
            and a snack and Vigil. All children were required to sing Vespers,
            and Matushka Irina found ways to get us to read parts of the service.

            The younger children would be given shorter prayers, and the older
            children were drilled until they could read "Vouchsafe O Lord"
            ("Spodobi Gospodi"). There were funny mistakes, like the time a
            little girl piously said, "Gospodi pomilui tree raza," ("Lord have
            mercy three times"), because that's what was written. But the
            excitement of the younger children as they waited their turn to read,
            and the triumph of the older children, when they finished a difficult
            passage, paved the way for having a choir full of readers and singers.

            There were bleak years when attendance was down. There were years
            when the Saturday night choir was, by the end of the service, my
            godfather Sergei Yulievich Conus, my brother Joseph, and me. Dad
            called us "the cats on the fence." But Serge taught Joseph and Joseph
            taught me, and when we needed a choir director, Joseph was able to
            fill in. He made me learn the Soprano, Alto and Tenor parts so that
            whoever was absent, I could fill in. I thought it was useless
            knowledge that I'd never need again. I was very wrong.

            Fr. Roman worked tirelessly and faithfully and patiently, encouraging
            people to attend more services, to do just one thing more than they
            had done before. "Try, Annushka," he would encourage. In confession,
            he would explain WHY a sin was bad, so that one could fight it more
            intelligently.

            When newcomers came, converts from the Boston area, he welcomed them.
            When the third wave of Russians came, he made them welcome. When the
            fourth wave of Russians came, he expanded the Sunday School. It
            helped that there were more weddings and births, ten weddings the
            year we married, 24 children born in two years after (two of them
            mine).

            When Fr. George moved to Boston to court me, Fr. Roman made him
            welcome and put him to work reading on kliros. At our wedding, he
            spoke of the need to establish a marriage before seeking to serve,
            and encouraged us to wait a year before Fr. George was ordained
            deacon. He spoke warmly about his own time as deacon, and encouraged
            all deacons to remain in that state for as long as possible, to learn
            as much as they could before becoming priests.

            When Fr. George was his deacon, Fr. Roman taught him how to serve
            precisely and with attention. When Fr. George was ordained priest and
            sent to Houston, the first time he did each service, he would call
            Boston and ask Batiushka for details -- at the begining of a wedding,
            a priest comes out vested or just in cuffs? Batiushka would laugh,
            and answer, and encourage, and call for follow-up.

            Meanwhile, from a thousand and a half miles away, Fr. Roman remained
            and example of steadfastness. When he was first diagnosed with
            cancer, he also fell, on vacation, and broke five ribs. And he
            served, with cancer and five broken ribs. And soul by soul, the
            parish grew.

            Every time I came home for a visit, I marvelled at how the parish was
            growing, was spruced up, with a table for children in the trapeza and
            then a mural behind the table. Every place where it would have been
            nice to have a lamp or a shelf in the past, there was a lamp, or a
            shelf. In the 1990's when I was visiting I was impressed that there
            were 25 people for Vigil. A few years back when I was visiting, there
            were that many in the children's choir for Vespers alone.

            When we moved to Connecticut, it was so good to be able to visit
            Boston, and to be at services with Batishka once more. He had help,
            more clergy, and was able to travel. When he was still able, he would
            visit Sea Cliff, Stratford, Methuen, where it was always so good to
            see his smile, and to see Matushka Irina, who faithfully took him
            everywhere.

            And everywhere, and in everything, he taught. He studied about bells
            and gave talks and explained to the parish the importance of having
            good Russian bells and obtained them for our parish and shared with
            other parishes what he had learned and how one could find bells. He
            sent parishioners to the Jordanville music school, so that the choir
            now is one of the best not only in America but also of all the
            parishes abroad, with many, many people on each part able to read not
            just the notes but also Slavonic texts. The Church School moved from
            being housed in nooks and crannies to taking over the house next
            door, with classes in English and Russian. And it's gone from being
            just Batiushka, with five broken ribs, to having many priests and
            deacons and subdeacons and readers. And this is because Fr. Roman
            believed, and taught, and encouraged.

            He had the rare gift of refusing to judge. Often in families there
            are conflicts. One friend reported how someone was indignant that
            Batiushka would not take sides in a family dispute. He told my
            friend, "What can I do? I am priest to the son, and I am priest to
            the father." And as priest, he would not condemn, he would only
            instruct and encourage.

            Batiushka's love was reflected and returned by the parish. His
            funeral was so packed that I could get to the choir only by putting
            one foot in one vacant space and somehow squeezing the rest of me
            into whatever space was above it, step by step till I made it
            upstairs. His pannikhida was too crowded even for that. Those who
            made it inside the church were lucky, and they weren't going
            anywhere. The Sisterhood co-ordinated a meal after to which everyone
            brought something, and even though they gave us all enormous plates,
            even at the end of the line (I was talking to people and got
            distracted), even taking only a tablespoon from each dish, one could
            not fit a little of everything on one plate.

            Fr. Roman believed in order. Living in the epicenter of open letters,
            he never defended himself when under attack. More than one bishop had
            been turned against him by envious neighboring clergy, none of whom
            are still with us. He never spoke against the hierarchs, and never
            allowed others to speak against them, either. Years after an incident
            he told me how someone had threatened to suspend him "pending
            investigation." When he asked what the charges were, specifically, as
            was his right, the man hung up and never brought the subject up
            again. I was indignant and asked why he didn't make people aware of
            this and protest. He said that would be wrong. "And, Annushka, if he
            had suspended me, my job would be to hang up my epitrahil and not
            serve until I was cleared."

            I protested, and said that it would be his duty, rather, to complain
            to everyone and make the injustice known. "No," he said, and
            explained that a priest should have faith. The truth will come out
            and the unjustly accused will be exonnerated. "If a man does not
            believe that, he has no business serving."

            He had very great dedication to Holy Trinity Monastery, and took the
            parish on several pilgrimages, including the one where I met my
            husband. He had great dedication to St. Xenia and to the Royal
            Martyrs and New Martyrs, encouraging all to be at the glorifications
            and going himself. I was blessed to stand behind him when they
            unveiled the icon of St. Xenia as shown on You Tube. The icon was
            unveiled, the bishops wept, Batiushka wept, Matushka wept, and I
            found myself crying, as well.

            He went out of his way to teach us practical things. He took a
            considerable amount of time to show me how to wash grapes and cut the
            bunches into small clusters so the priest can hand them out easily.
            He translated Matushka Znosko-Borovsky's recipe for prosphora for us
            and explained in detail the chemistry of prosphora making, the
            difference in outcome if one moistens the bottom of the top and not
            the top of the bottom in putting the layers together, the importance
            of using the right kind of flour. Before they left us, Holy
            Transfiguration Monastery used to send him deacons to train in
            serving, and I remember more than one person censing the empty church
            with an unlit censer during our Law of God classes. Each new deacon
            would have a book under his right arm as he learned to control the
            censer. After a while, the new deacon was my husband. He learned so
            much.

            Fr. Roman's dedication to the New Martyrs was great. He had the
            parish commision an icon by the late Nikolai Andreevich Papkov, with
            the Royal Martyrs in the center and, on the edge, the four elements
            of the earth (earth, air, fire and water) being used to torment the
            New Martyrs. Many of our parishioners were at their Glorification,
            and when I was sent a copy of "Russia's Catacomb Saints" to review
            for "Religion in Communist Lands," I saw several of us in the photo
            on the cover. When he told us, during the sermon at church, about the
            life of the New Martyr Lydia, whose life is in that book, a priest's
            daughter who was martyred but spared defilement because of the
            soldier Alexander who also chose to be martyred for protecting her,
            he wept. The things he said made an impression because we knew they
            came from his heart, which was dedicated to God.

            In the end, his service to the church was martyric. Not everyone
            knows that his eyes were failing. For my brother Daniel's wedding, he
            had to read the crowning prayers in 20 pt. type with an illuminated
            magnifying glass -- and yet he served. When the chemo stole his hair,
            his energy, his beard, he didn't hide, and he didn't stop. He served.
            When he had to sit down to hear confessions, he still heard them, and
            it seemed appropriate to kneel in front of both him and the Gospel to
            confess. More than one person, when asked how Batiushka was in these
            last months, replied, "luminous."

            I was sorry that my post didn't go up on the list until Sunday, even
            though I sent it Friday, because I was hoping to let more people know
            about the date and the service, but as things stand, there was no
            more room in the church, not even for one person. I hope, Mike, that
            you have kept Batiushka in your prayers, especially during his first
            forty days. But what consoles me is all the years that Batiushka kept
            us in his prayers.

            In Christ,
            Matushka Ann Lardas
          • nlukiano@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 27, 2007
              Please re-direct this discussion string to a different subject line.??Our family is not?interested in repeatedly seeing '40th day prayers for Fr. Roman' in the subject line of a discussion I am sure Father Roman would have had a simple explanation for.?

              Any subjects to do with Father Roman should continue to respectfully celebrate his life and?his contribution, his example.?

              Thank you,

              Nikolai Lukianov
              Holy Epiphany ROC?