Re: On Unity of the Orthodox Church of Christ

    Message 1 of 47 , Jun 16, 2007
      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "APY" <fr_anastasy@...> wrote:

      > 10-4, Fr. John, non-Orthodox - NOT Orthodox - of any persuasion.
      > Dear Vladika Nikon wrote something like "... we cannot impose on someone (a non-
      > Orthodox) in death that which they did not desire of their own free will in life..."

      JRS: I think I do remember translating those words, so many years ago.

      But do you disagree with something I said? I don't get your point.

      > There is, of course, a generic prayer for "civil authorities." I remember decades ago the
      > Greek Archdiocese actually would mention the full name of the President. There were
      > those who said it may have been because of a "party" change in the White House, but I
      > believe some clergy and laity protested the use of a personal name since the President
      > was not Orthodox.

      JRS: When I was a boy, I definitely heard them say: "Yper tou evsevous proedrou imon,
      JOHN F. KENNEDY", which sounded incongrous, with the mix of languages.

      I don't think they say that anymore ...

      "Evsevis/evsevous" means "devout": "For our devout President..."

    • Athanasios Jayne
      Message 47 of 47 , Jun 20, 2007
        An interesting book/translation now available:

        The Quest for Reform of the Orthodox Church: The 1923 Pan-Orthodox
        Congress
        by Fr. Patrick Viscuso
        Format: Soft Bound
        ...This book is a complete translation of the discussions and decisions
        dealing with the new Church calendar, the Orthodox "diaspora", the
        marriage of deacons, priests and bishops, the role of the laity, reform
        of canon law, liturgical and spiritual life, modernization of tradition-
        -the burning issues still at large today. 208 pages. $24.95

        http://www.light-n-life.com/shopping/order_product.asp?
        ProductNum=QUES025