Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: On Unity of the Orthodox Church of Christ

  • michael nikitin
    Message 1 of 47 , Jun 16, 2007
      I believe that because ROCOR(L) is no longer in agreement with
      ROCOR under our previous hierarchs, it may appear that posting
      the writings and sermons of Holy Metr. Philaret is being taken as
      attacking ROCOR(L).

      Some may believe they are experts on what occured in ROCOR before
      they even joined ROCOR and some don't even speak Russian. One can
      see the absurdity of this. Perhaps a Golden Cross is due Fr.John
      Whiteford, Fr.John Shaw(if he hasn't one already), etc... There
      were many such honors being bestowed to clergy before the signing
      of the Unia, perhaps in anticipation that many more will leave
      after this Unia, being afraid to fall under the Anathema of 1983.

      Reading the letter B.Mark wrote to B.Gabriel below, one can see
      what kind of conspiracy lurked behind the scenes in the New ROCOR
      Synod in NY. Affixing Metr. Vitaly's signature to something he
      wasn't aware of.

      Is there any doubt that the Synod may have had Metr. Vitaly sign
      blank Synod letterheads? How many more of these kind of instances
      might have occured? One will never know.

      Michael N

      17.06.01/30.06.2001

      His Grace
      The Most Reverend
      Bishop Gabriel
      75 East 93rd St
      New York, N.Y. 10128-1390
      U.S.A.

      Your Eminence, Most-Eminent Vladyko!

      All in all, I think that this text is appropriate. Only I would
      include, at the beginning, the "s.c." (so-called) Encyclical
      Letter. In the sentence "The proof of this" -- I suggest the
      addition: "besides language and style -- is...

      In the paragraph: "From the aforementioned..." it seems to me to
      be expedient to write something on the order of: "the
      First-Hierarch signed someone else's document -- possibly under
      pressure from a group of clergy headed by banned Bp. Varnava,
      having forgotten or being unaware of the meaning of this
      'Epistle,' and likewise having forgotten that Bp. Varnava is
      under ban and subject to being deposed for disobedience to the
      Supreme Church Authority." or something to that effect.

      "And [or: but] to the authors..." instead of "[as/by] the
      author."

      I hope that these thoughts will prove to be of help to You
      [familiar form ("Thy")].

      When Your [fam.] Declaration is ready, please send it to me, as
      well as an English-language translation [of it].

      Please convey my regards [privet] to Fr. Igor, if You [fam.] are
      still there. And don't laugh at my supposition that Varnava and
      those with him can easily take [over] the Synod House!

      With love in Christ, I remain Yours [fam.]

      +Archbishop Mark

      Archbishop of Berlin and Germany

      Need a vacation? Get great deals
      to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
      http://travel.yahoo.com/
    • Athanasios Jayne
      Message 47 of 47 , Jun 20, 2007
        An interesting book/translation now available:

        The Quest for Reform of the Orthodox Church: The 1923 Pan-Orthodox
        Congress
        by Fr. Patrick Viscuso
        Format: Soft Bound
        ...This book is a complete translation of the discussions and decisions
        dealing with the new Church calendar, the Orthodox "diaspora", the
        marriage of deacons, priests and bishops, the role of the laity, reform
        of canon law, liturgical and spiritual life, modernization of tradition-
        -the burning issues still at large today. 208 pages. $24.95

        http://www.light-n-life.com/shopping/order_product.asp?
        ProductNum=QUES025