Re: On Unity of the Orthodox Church of Christ

  • search_all_things
    Message 1 of 47 , Jun 14, 2007
      JRS: "Sergianism" has always been understood by ROCOR, not as "paying
      respects to the
      > memory of the late Patriarch Sergius", but as a denial that there was
      a Soviet persecution
      > of the Church: denial that there were New Martyrs of the Soviet yoke.

      Father Bless! When I read the ROCOR writings I see many more points
      against Sergianism than what you mention. Is not a major feature of
      Sergianism that of capitulation with the Soviets to 'save the Church'?
      I read that one major problem is Met. Sergius' promotion of the Church
      with Communism - which I think goes hand in hand with why Met. Sergius
      would lie in denying that the Soviets killed Christians.

      For example, from the 1990 Epistle of the Synod of Bishops of the ROCOR
      I find, "As soon as more favorable external conditions arose, we began
      to receive priests and parishes who could no longer tolerate the
      uncanonical actions of their bishops and their apostasy from Orthodoxy
      in the form of an inordinate passion for ecumenism and a justification
      of the Sergianist lie. Despite the fact that Orthodox Russia is being
      rent asunder by foreign sects, the leadership of the Moscow Patriarchate
      to this day actively participates in services with the heterodox.
      Despite individual utterances concerning the historical significance of
      Sergianism, the falsehood of the necessity of union between the Church
      and the godless regime is still being actively propagated."

      Also the writings of Fr. Seraphim Rose - who called Sergianism a
      "refined apostasy" - he seems to go into much more than the point that
      you bring up. For instance, in his biography he is quoted as saying,
      "The Sergianist spirit of legalism and compromise with the spirit of
      this world is everywhere in the Orthodox Church today. But we are
      called to be soldiers of Christ in spite of this!"

      also:

      " . . . with the Soviets, the aim is much deeper: ultimately to destroy
      the Church entirely using the Church's hierarchs themselves (when
      possible) as agents of this scheme; and, on the way to this end, getting
      the Church to defend Communism abroad and to preach a 'Communistic
      Christianity' . . . Examine the the printed sermons of the Moscow
      hiearchs: again and again one finds the same theme of the coming of the
      "Kingdom of God on earth" through the spread of Communism. This is
      outright heresy, or perhaps something even worse: the turning aside of
      the Church from its very purpose - the saving of souls for eternal life
      - and giving them over to the devil's kingdom, promising them a false
      blessedness on earth and condeming them to everlasting damnation".

      and concerning the validity of Met. Sergius' dogmatics and canonicity:

      "In the testimonly of the Catacomb bishops of the late 1920's one finds
      again and again that the GPU agents asked them first of all whether they
      were for or against Metropolitan Sergius, and if they were against, then
      these agents demonstrated that Sergius had "violated neither dogmas or
      canons." Thus, either the atheistic torturers are "defending the Church"
      - or else there is something dreadfully wrong, and the Church is up
      agasint an extremely formidable enemy. As it turns out, however, there
      are several dogmatic and canonical grounds on which Metropolitan Sergius
      was wrong; but first of all the Orthodox soul sensed that he was on the
      wrong side."

      All of this leads me to ask why the MP would bestow such an honor on
      Met. Sergius if not for the idea that his capitulation with the Soviets
      actually "saved the Church". A position which - I thought - ROCOR was
      dead against.

      Stephen (ROCOR)

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. John R. Shaw" <vrevjrs@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Bushunow
      cafeconlechemom@
      > wrote:
      >
      > > This is from one of the official Patriarchal sites.
      > >
      > > Melissa
      > >
      > > http://eng.sedmitza.ru/index.html?
      > > sid=64&did=1188&p_comment=&call_action=print1(default)
      > >
      > > http://tinyurl.com/29rxsg
      >
      > JRS: "Sergianism" has always been understood by ROCOR, not as "paying
      respects to the
      > memory of the late Patriarch Sergius", but as a denial that there was
      a Soviet persecution
      > of the Church: denial that there were New Martyrs of the Soviet yoke.
      >
      > Some antireligious activists claim that having the words "In God We
      Trust" on US money
      > constitutes an "establishment of religion". But "establishment of
      religion" doesn't mean
      > "establishment of the principle or idea of God": it means establishing
      one, specific, State
      > Church.
      >
      > Celebrating a Pannikhida for Patriarch Sergius, or naming something
      after him, does not
      > constitute "Sergianism".
      >
      > In Christ
      > Fr. John R. Shaw

    • Athanasios Jayne
      Message 47 of 47 , Jun 20, 2007
        An interesting book/translation now available:

        The Quest for Reform of the Orthodox Church: The 1923 Pan-Orthodox
        Congress
        by Fr. Patrick Viscuso
        Format: Soft Bound
        ...This book is a complete translation of the discussions and decisions
        dealing with the new Church calendar, the Orthodox "diaspora", the
        marriage of deacons, priests and bishops, the role of the laity, reform
        of canon law, liturgical and spiritual life, modernization of tradition-
        -the burning issues still at large today. 208 pages. $24.95

        http://www.light-n-life.com/shopping/order_product.asp?
        ProductNum=QUES025