Our Lady of Kazan Church in Newark, NJ leaves ROCOR

  • Reader Timothy Tadros
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 7, 2007
      PRESS RELEASE

      May 31, 2007

      Re: Our Lady of Kazan Russian Orthodox Church

      It is with joy that the Holy Metropolis announces that the Parish of
      Our Lady of Kazan Russian Orthodox Church in Newark, New Jersey has
      been accepted into the Holy Metropolis under the omophorion of His
      Eminence Metropolitan Pavlos.

      The pastor of Our lady of Kazan Parish, the Very Rev Mark Burachek, and
      his entire flock have been accepted from the jurisdiction of the
      Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia.

      Last Updated ( Thursday, 31 May 2007 )
    • George
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 8, 2007
        I don't suppose they bothered getting a canonical release...

        George

        On Friday, June 08, 2007, at 12:30AM, "Reader Timothy Tadros" <pravoslavney@...> wrote:
        >PRESS RELEASE
        >
        >May 31, 2007
        >
        >Re: Our Lady of Kazan Russian Orthodox Church
        >
        >It is with joy that the Holy Metropolis announces that the Parish of
        >Our Lady of Kazan Russian Orthodox Church in Newark, New Jersey has
        >been accepted into the Holy Metropolis under the omophorion of His
        >Eminence Metropolitan Pavlos.
        >
        >The pastor of Our lady of Kazan Parish, the Very Rev Mark Burachek, and
        >his entire flock have been accepted from the jurisdiction of the
        >Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia.
        >
        >Last Updated ( Thursday, 31 May 2007 )

      • (matushka) Ann Lardas
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 8, 2007
          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Reader Timothy Tadros"
          <pravoslavney@...> wrote:

          > PRESS RELEASE
          >
          > May 31, 2007
          >
          > Re: Our Lady of Kazan Russian Orthodox Church
          [...]

          > The pastor of Our lady of Kazan Parish, the Very Rev Mark Burachek,
          and
          > his entire flock have been accepted from the jurisdiction of the
          > Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia.
          >
          > Last Updated ( Thursday, 31 May 2007 )

          .... with a release?

        • Fr. Anthony Nelson
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 8, 2007
            > >Re: Our Lady of Kazan Russian Orthodox Church
            > >
            > >It is with joy that the Holy Metropolis announces that the Parish of
            > >Our Lady of Kazan Russian Orthodox Church in Newark, New Jersey has
            > >been accepted into the Holy Metropolis under the omophorion of His
            > >Eminence Metropolitan Pavlos.

            This would be that group that calls itself, the "Church of the
            Genuine Orthodox Christians of Greece and the Diaspora." In an
            encyclical promulgated by the first hierarch of that group in
            September of 1995, their first hierarch - declared that
            new-calendarists and psuedo-old-calendarists "are not members of the
            Body of Christ, which is the Church...All of them are either heretics
            or schismatics."

            That is the pot calling the kettle black: for what greater evidence
            can there be of schism than to declare all the rest of the Church not
            to be the Church?

            Those in the ROCOR who make or have made the mistake of seeing the
            ROCOR as the Russian-tradition equivalent of the old-calendar Greeks
            and who erroneously believe that the schismatic groups calling
            themselves such things as "Genuine Orthodox Christians" can be a
            place of refuge from obedience to the Bishops (and, therefore,
            obedience to Christ's Church) are placing their souls in the greatest
            jeopardy. And giving soul-destroying scandal to the innocent.

            Fr. Anthony

            * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
            Protopriest Anthony Nelson
            St. Benedict Russian Orthodox Church
            Oklahoma City, OK USA 405-672-1441
            mailto:fr.anthony@...
            http://www.russianorthodoxoklahoma.org
          • michael nikitin
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 8, 2007
              --- "Fr. Anthony Nelson" <fr.anthony@...> wrote:

              This would be that group that calls itself, the "Church of the
              > Genuine Orthodox Christians of Greece and the Diaspora." In an
              > encyclical promulgated by the first hierarch of that group in
              > September of 1995, their first hierarch - declared that
              > new-calendarists and psuedo-old-calendarists "are not members
              > of the Body of Christ, which is the Church...All of them are
              >either heretics or schismatics."
              >
              > That is the pot calling the kettle black: for what greater
              > evidence can there be of schism than to declare all the rest
              >of the Church not to be the Church?

              http://metphilaret.homestead.com/philaret.html

              Was Holy Metr. Philaret also "the pot calling the kettle black"?

              Michael N

            • Michael Woodson
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 8, 2007
                Dear Rev. Fr. Anthony:

                The matter of names and titles in a world in which they are abused
                and treated as if they were mere entitlements to intellectual and
                real property rights, causes groups to have to find names for
                themselves when they disagree with those who have abused or
                appropriated visible, earthly, legally charged powers of title. One
                who causes a human frailty with their own passions has no place to
                label their victims as schismatics.

                With the ROCOR/MP anchluss, that is what we have, as the lawsuits
                initiated by the ROCOR over the years in service to the MP agenda
                themselves testify. Christ never filed one lawsuit, even say, against
                those who were for Him but were not individually called as were his
                disciples and apostles. And St. Paul, even though he suffered chains
                at some others' preaching, did not say they should stop preaching or
                meddle in their affairs. His mind was open that it is very possible
                that God has greater plans in mind than even he, an apostle, could
                fathom. Today's title holder may be tomorrow's prisoner. St. Paul
                knew both. Think on that as you enjoy the heady sense of victory
                numbing the minds of those receiving the wealth of nationalized
                Russia as a substitute for spiritual wealth.

                The many capitalist prosperity gospel heresies in 'churches' in the
                US have nothing on the Moscow Patriarchate, whose chief difference is
                where they get their money which causes them to prosper. If you want
                to prosper, you toe the regime line. That is the same with some
                protestant missionaries -- if you want the good stuff -- the food,
                education, clothes and such, you become one of them. Otherwise, back
                to the heathen street, I'm afraid.

                Also, the Lord said that if He wished He could call an army of angels
                down to earth. This would bypass the need for human due process,
                swords, armor or really, any known weapon, strategies, lawsuits or
                ruses. The sacred scriptures say that God "laughs" at man's prideful
                plans. I suspect that this is not unlike the sound of a late
                afternoon mountain storm that envelopes climbers seeking a peak with
                pride. I wouldn't want to hear the "laughter" of God's "scorn".
                Having heard a "chuckle" or two, I want no part of a "laugh."

                What storms are there in the after-life; in the non-physical realm?
                Don't even want to think about it, or what is reserved for the
                powerful who abused power on earth when they get there.

                Granted, if a mainstream Church by name has not been abusing power,
                and there truly is schism by a protesting group rather than an honest
                case for healthy defense mechanisms at work in the group seeking
                refuge or safe distance from its leadership, you may have a
                schismatic small group.

                That said, not every schismatic group is small. At times in history,
                they have been the great mass of deceived. Quite often, actually.
                Were it not so, why would St. Ephraim the Syrian, himself a great
                ascetic, refer to himself in such lowly, broken and weak-titled
                terms. With the Lord, he took no particular place to lay his head. As
                I understand it, many a hierarch and clergyman enjoys his tax-free
                dacha.

                Surely in the invisible realm, the Lord speaks of wide and narrow
                paths. If the small group was always the schismatic one, then you'd
                better take up your case against the narrow Way along with the
                council and start heaving your "majoritarian accusations." I
                apologize: perhaps that is already underway. Otherwise, rethink your
                broad position and consider that Russia is in unChristian hands by
                the clear cut evidence in the many premature deaths piling up to this
                day.

                A regime and its national church claiming to be Orthodox Christian in
                character cannot serve God and mammon any more than one man. Its
                righteousness in terms of purity of heart cannot exceed its actions
                and inactions. The entire church militant and its leadership ought to
                sound a lot more like St. Ephraim the Syrian and a lot less like the
                Putin regime and MP.

                Now watch. The next effort will be to get all of its operatives
                to "sound" like St. Ephraim the Syrian having achieved and held onto
                ill-acquired wealth and power. But you can't be like St. Ephraim
                without giving up that abused wealth and power. That is, the Church
                should rely on donations from the people, not the government. And,
                the government ought to share and diffuse power and wealth into the
                people and their economies to build a tradition of basic stewardship
                and well being among the Russian people such that they may freely and
                voluntarily give to the Church rather than be taxed (formally or
                informally) and the Church directed by a command regime of behind the
                scenes KGB potentate. What is giving except a spiritual act that is
                good for each person? If the government takes care of it for the
                people, while neglecting the people's needs, it guarantees that it
                will keep control over the Church's voice in Russia over that of its
                people. It makes the government the church member with the veto who
                is more equal than others, and not a human soul in the first place.

                Sounds familiar to a not-so-distant USSR.

                Michael

                --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. Anthony Nelson"
                <fr.anthony@...> wrote:

                > > >Re: Our Lady of Kazan Russian Orthodox Church
                > > >
                > > >It is with joy that the Holy Metropolis announces that the
                Parish of
                > > >Our Lady of Kazan Russian Orthodox Church in Newark, New Jersey
                has
                > > >been accepted into the Holy Metropolis under the omophorion of
                His
                > > >Eminence Metropolitan Pavlos.
                >
                > This would be that group that calls itself, the "Church of the
                > Genuine Orthodox Christians of Greece and the Diaspora." In an
                > encyclical promulgated by the first hierarch of that group in
                > September of 1995, their first hierarch - declared that
                > new-calendarists and psuedo-old-calendarists "are not members of
                the
                > Body of Christ, which is the Church...All of them are either
                heretics
                > or schismatics."
                >
                > That is the pot calling the kettle black: for what greater evidence
                > can there be of schism than to declare all the rest of the Church
                not
                > to be the Church?
                >
                > Those in the ROCOR who make or have made the mistake of seeing the
                > ROCOR as the Russian-tradition equivalent of the old-calendar
                Greeks
                > and who erroneously believe that the schismatic groups calling
                > themselves such things as "Genuine Orthodox Christians" can be a
                > place of refuge from obedience to the Bishops (and, therefore,
                > obedience to Christ's Church) are placing their souls in the
                greatest
                > jeopardy. And giving soul-destroying scandal to the innocent.
                >
                > Fr. Anthony

                > Protopriest Anthony Nelson
                > St. Benedict Russian Orthodox Church
                > Oklahoma City, OK USA 405-672-1441
                > mailto:fr.anthony@...
                > http://www.russianorthodoxoklahoma.org

              • Mary Marczyk
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 8, 2007
                  Thank you MIchael, Another fabulous post on our terrible & earthly church situation. I really appreciate your commentaries.
                  Mary