RE : Re: [orthodox-synod] Innovations in the para-synagog of OCA

  • Alexandre de Bonnefoi
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 6, 2007
      So, is it the same in Romania with the frescos of Gorbachev, Bush Senior and John-Paul II?

      A de Bonnefoi

      morechoff@... a écrit :
      New Skete Monastery in New York was a Byzantine-Rite Franciscans monastery up until 1979 when they joined the OCA. This might explain the frescoes they have.

      Michael Orechoff

      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 6, 2007
        You wrote : "We can only hope that things will change and will change in the true Orthodox direction... ."

        Indeed, and we also hope a same change for the RC and all the Protestants...

        A de bonnefoi

        morechoff@... a écrit :
        I agree that the OCA is too liberal. I learned not too long ago that most of the Bishops eat meat which surprised me.

        I am used to Bishops being monks and not eating meat at all.

        But I am sure there are many OCA priests too that are not liberal and object to what goes on in the OCA.

        The OCA is going thru some tough times now with their leadership. We can only hope that things will change and will change in the true Orthodox direction....

        Mike Orechoff

        The frescos were completed in the last FIVE YEARS, please explain that. Theresa of Calcutta wasn't dead more than five years ago.It has not been a Franciscan monastery for oh, let's say almost 20 years.

        This is just a sampling of the bizarre things that are allowed in the OCA.,,,,and some people think this is normal Orthodoxy, and we should be more involved with them.

        Fr. Basil
        New Skete Monastery in New York was a Byzantine-Rite Franciscans monastery up until 1979 when they joined the OCA. This might explain the frescoes they have.

        Michael Orechoff

        One had laughed about these mural frescos in Romania depainting Gorbatchev, Bush Senior and Jean Paul II.

        Now, a skite of the OCA in the United States made the same thing : on the frescos, one can recognize : Athenagoras, the pope Paul VI and Mother Teresa of Calcutta.

        One can also admire in the column of photographs the magnificent blue clothing of the priest with mountains, an ass and a star.

        And all of that is under the eyes of Herman, big boss of the OCA. Curiously, there is not Jean-Paul II.

        Have fun: http://holytrinityorthodox.org/photos/new_skete.htm<http://holytrinityorthodox.org/photos/new_skete.htm>

        ADB

      • George
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 6, 2007
          Is there some aweful thing Theresa of Calcutta did that I'm not aware of?

          George

          On Tuesday, June 05, 2007, at 08:14PM, "Fr. Basil Grisel" <batushka@...> wrote:
          >The frescos were completed in the last FIVE YEARS, please explain that. Theresa of Calcutta wasn't dead more than five years ago.It has not been a Franciscan monastery for oh, let's say almost 20 years.
          >
          >This is just a sampling of the bizarre things that are allowed in the OCA.,,,,and some people think this is normal Orthodoxy, and we should be more involved with them.
          >
          >Fr. Basil

        • Fr. Basil Grisel
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 6, 2007
            I do not know anything specific about Theresa of Calcutta, only that she doesn't belong depicted ikonographically in an Orthodox Church. I was just trying to set a time frame for the age of the artwork in contrast to the "orthodox" history of the monastery - to explain a bit "the frescos they have".

            Fr. Basil

          • antiquariu@aol.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 6, 2007
              In a message dated 6/5/2007 8:15:45 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              batushka@... writes:

              The frescos were completed in the last FIVE YEARS, please explain that.
              Theresa of Calcutta wasn't dead more than five years ago.It has not been a
              Franciscan monastery for oh, let's say almost 20 years.

              This is just a sampling of the bizarre things that are allowed in the
              OCA.,,,,and some people think this is normal Orthodoxy, and we should be more
              involved with them.

              Fr. Basil

              Dear in-Christ Father Basil, Bless!

              Whereas I agree with your point, why pick on the OCA? There are those who
              think "normal Orthodoxy" is defined by miraculous icon fraud and pederast
              priests as well, and before ROCOR seeks out the specks in the OCA's eye, it
              should perhaps get rid of the logs in its own. It's a Russian thing to use words
              like "parasynagogue." Makes it sound intellectual and theologically correct,
              sort of like the Russian/Soviet propensity to create new heresies by adding
              "ism." New Skete is considered an embarrassment to many in the OCA, but
              then again, Blanco -- which was highly and vocally supported by many in ROCOR at
              the time -- was a lot more embarrassing than weird icons and New Age
              priests. And we won't even talk about the slew of other lesser miraculous icons
              which also preyed on the faithful. Let New Skete draw its own brickbats, and
              once we're perfect, we can take up this issue again. For right now, we have
              enough bizarre behavior to fill the books ourselves. We could, for example,
              police protodeacons who publicly lambast their own priests and hiearchs and
              cashier priests who flog weeping cardboard icons while having had the grace of
              the Holy Spirit bless them multiple times with different weeping icons. We
              could cut down on this "false flag" propensity that gives rise to clever use
              of pen-names ranging from Russian obscenities ("Peace Duke") to Moliere ("de
              Bonnefoi") to just plain made-up nonsense ("Mike Nikitin")characters, without
              giving any idea just why they have axes to grind. We could even remove the
              shadow of doubt by eliminating "paramonasticism," to use a neo-Soviet word,
              and cut through the nonsense: you either are an Orthodox monk, or you're not.
              Nuff said. I think we should be more involved with the OCA, and for that
              matter, the rest of Orthodoxy as well. And just consider yourself and your
              parish extremely lucky that you don't have any charlatans and shysters in it,
              as some parishes did.

              Father Basil, you and I met about a decade ago at John the Baptist in DC
              when you were there for some clergy otgovenie; I recall liking the way your mind
              worked. You were still in the process of finding a home, as I recall, and I
              purchased a lovely Gospel (Sofrino) in binding that I presented to an OCA
              priest (Father George Johnson) from Conemaugh, PA. Father George is but one of
              many OCA priests I know who would be at home in either jurisdiction. He's
              hardly innovative, but he's a great priest.

              I still hope and pray -- as do you -- for the unity of God's Church, and one
              of these days, God willing, we'll achieve it.

              In Christ,

              Vova H.

            • michael nikitin
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 6, 2007
                Fr. Basil, we already are involved with OCA? In California,
                Vl.Kirill sent a Ukase for everyone in his Diocese to
                concelebrate with the OCA. If the bishop comes to your Church and
                brings clergy from the OCA, Fr. Basil will have no choice but to
                serve with clergy from OCA or leave. You are done, Fr. Basil.

                Fr. Valery Luckianov also has to commemorate Patr. Alexey II if
                Metr. Laurus serves in his parish. But what's the difference
                whether one commemorates the Patr. or commemorates Metr. Laurus?
                They are both one now. Fr. Valery does not want to loose the
                church which he built with beautiful ikonostas and icons.

                Michael N

                --- "Fr. Basil Grisel" <batushka@...> wrote:

                > The frescos were completed in the last FIVE YEARS, please
                > explain that. Theresa of Calcutta wasn't dead more than five
                > years ago.It has not been a Franciscan monastery for oh, let's
                > say almost 20 years.
                >
                > This is just a sampling of the bizarre things that are allowed
                > in the OCA.,,,,and some people think this is normal Orthodoxy,
                > and we should be more involved with them.
                >
                > Fr. Basil

                that gives answers, not web links.
              • Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 6, 2007
                  Is it not true that "one finds wall paintings (ON MOUNT ATHOS!) of
                  ancient philosophers such as Socrates and Plato (out right Pagans!)
                  at some monasteries, such as Vatopedi,..."

                  The pictures, all be it in iconographic style, have no halo/nimbus
                  thereby qualifying them as outside of the family of glorified saints
                  and "merely" ethicize that these people had >>>ASPECTS<<< of their
                  life, character or writings that is worthy of note for the Orthodox
                  Christian.

                  ______________
                  > that gives answers, not web links.

                • Archpriest David Moser
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 6, 2007
                    <nikitinmike@...> wrote:

                    > Fr. Basil, we already are involved with OCA? In California,
                    > Vl.Kirill sent a Ukase for everyone in his Diocese to
                    > concelebrate with the OCA.

                    This is a lie - either that or no other priest I know has seen this
                    ukase. Abp Kyrill has given blessing for certain individual
                    concelebrations in certain limited circumstances - but no such
                    "blanket Ukase" applying to everyone exists.

                    ArchPr David Moser
                  • Reader Timothy Tadros
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 6, 2007
                      I have not seen a synodal ukase or where any of our bishop have
                      come out and said you may serve with any one whom you please. I was
                      quite surprised that while the reconcilliation/unification of the two
                      parts of the Russian Orthodox Church took place in Russia. Others
                      here in America seemed to think or took advantage of the situation
                      and held similar services with other priests of other jurisdictions
                      on Ascension.
                      Will this apply to any jurisdiction especially those on the new
                      calendar?
                      Rdr Timothy Tadros

                      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Archpriest David Moser"
                      <moserd@...> wrote:

                      > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, michael nikitin
                      > <nikitinmike@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Fr. Basil, we already are involved with OCA? In California,
                      > > Vl.Kirill sent a Ukase for everyone in his Diocese to
                      > > concelebrate with the OCA.
                      >
                      > This is a lie - either that or no other priest I know has seen this
                      > ukase. Abp Kyrill has given blessing for certain individual
                      > concelebrations in certain limited circumstances - but no such
                      > "blanket Ukase" applying to everyone exists.
                      >

                      > ArchPr David Moser

                    • George
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 6, 2007
                        the only reason i've heard against concelebrating with other orthodox Christians on feat day outside the same calendar is the fact that one should not commemorate 2 feast days on the same feast day.

                        though I agree given the circumstances folks should be consulting with their bishops frist.

                        On Wednesday, June 06, 2007, at 10:16PM, "Reader Timothy Tadros" <pravoslavney@...> wrote:
                        > I have not seen a synodal ukase or where any of our bishop have
                        >come out and said you may serve with any one whom you please. I was
                        >quite surprised that while the reconcilliation/unification of the two
                        >parts of the Russian Orthodox Church took place in Russia. Others
                        >here in America seemed to think or took advantage of the situation
                        >and held similar services with other priests of other jurisdictions
                        >on Ascension.
                        > Will this apply to any jurisdiction especially those on the new
                        >calendar?
                        >Rdr Timothy Tadros
                        >
                        >--- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Archpriest David Moser"
                        ><moserd@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, michael nikitin
                        >> <nikitinmike@> wrote:
                        >> >
                        >> > Fr. Basil, we already are involved with OCA? In California,
                        >> > Vl.Kirill sent a Ukase for everyone in his Diocese to
                        >> > concelebrate with the OCA.
                        >>
                        >> This is a lie - either that or no other priest I know has seen this
                        >> ukase. Abp Kyrill has given blessing for certain individual
                        >> concelebrations in certain limited circumstances - but no such
                        >> "blanket Ukase" applying to everyone exists.
                        >>

                        >> ArchPr David Moser

                      • Alexandre de Bonnefoi
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 7, 2007
                          Dear George,

                          There is something that you are not aware. Like Martin Luther King, Gandhi, Mahomed, Mandela, Golda Meïr, Mussolini, Bush, she was not orthodox. So there is not any reason to see her on the frescos (icons) of an orthodox church.

                          How can you not be aware of that by yourself?

                          A de Bonnefoi

                          George <kharaku@...> a écrit :
                          Is there some aweful thing Theresa of Calcutta did that I'm not aware of?

                          George

                          On Tuesday, June 05, 2007, at 08:14PM, "Fr. Basil Grisel" <batushka@...> wrote:
                          >The frescos were completed in the last FIVE YEARS, please explain that. Theresa of Calcutta wasn't dead more than five years ago.It has not been a Franciscan monastery for oh, let's say almost 20 years.
                          >
                          >This is just a sampling of the bizarre things that are allowed in the OCA.,,,,and some people think this is normal Orthodoxy, and we should be more involved with them.
                          >
                          >Fr. Basil

                        • michael nikitin
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 7, 2007
                            Is Fr.Stefan defending the paintings or the OCA?

                            Michael N

                            --- Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko <StefanVPavlenko@...>

                            Never miss an email again!
                          • Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 7, 2007
                              Neither! I said what I said, …on Mount Athos there are iconographic
                              images of Socrates and Plato depicted in the entry of one of the
                              Athonite Monastery edifices. Socrates and Plato were pagans, but
                              their images are there in honor of their pre-supposing monotheistic
                              Theology. Non-orthodox on the walls of Orthodox Churches, there it
                              is! And no one is the worse off by it.

                              <nikitinmike@...> wrote:

                              > Is Fr.Stefan defending the paintings or the OCA?
                              >
                              > Michael N
                              >

                              > --- Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko <StefanVPavlenko@...>
                              > wrote:
                              >
                              > > Is it not true that "one finds wall paintings (ON MOUNT ATHOS!)
                              > > of ancient philosophers such as Socrates and Plato (out right
                              > > Pagans!) at some monasteries, such as Vatopedi,..."
                              > >
                              > > The pictures, all be it in iconographic style, have no
                              > > halo/nimbus thereby qualifying them as outside of the family of
                              > glorified saints and "merely" ethicize that these people had
                              > of note for the Orthodox Christian.
                              > >
                              > > Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
                              > >

                              > > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, michael nikitin
                              > > <nikitinmike@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Fr. Basil, we already are involved with OCA? In California,
                              > > > Vl.Kirill sent a Ukase for everyone in his Diocese to
                              > > > concelebrate with the OCA. If the bishop comes to your Church
                              > > and
                              > > > brings clergy from the OCA, Fr. Basil will have no choice but
                              > > > serve with clergy from OCA or leave. You are done, Fr. Basil.
                              > > >
                              > > > Fr. Valery Luckianov also has to commemorate Patr. Alexey II
                              > > if
                              > > > Metr. Laurus serves in his parish. But what's the difference
                              > > > whether one commemorates the Patr. or commemorates Metr.
                              > > Laurus?
                              > > > They are both one now. Fr. Valery does not want to loose the
                              > > > church which he built with beautiful ikonostas and icons.
                              > > >
                              > > > Michael N

                              > > five
                              > > let's

                              > > allowed
                              > > Orthodoxy,

                              > > ______________
                              > > > Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search
                              > > > that gives answers, not web links.
                              > > > http://mobile.yahoo.com/mobileweb/onesearch?refer=1ONXIC

                              ______________
                              > Never miss an email again!

                            • Alexandre de Bonnefoi
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 8, 2007
                                Father Stefan,

                                Plato and Socrates had an excuse and a merit to guess God without any teaching.

                                Teresa of Calcutta and others (Paul VI, Athenagoras etc) are volontary apart from this teaching because they knew the existence of the righteous and orthodox teaching.

                                A de Bonnefoi

                                <nikitinmike@...> wrote:

                                > Is Fr.Stefan defending the paintings or the OCA?
                                >
                                > Michael N
                                >

                                > --- Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko <StefanVPavlenko@...>
                                > wrote:
                                >
                                > > Is it not true that "one finds wall paintings (ON MOUNT ATHOS!)
                                > > of ancient philosophers such as Socrates and Plato (out right
                                > > Pagans!) at some monasteries, such as Vatopedi,..."
                                > >
                                > > The pictures, all be it in iconographic style, have no
                                > > halo/nimbus thereby qualifying them as outside of the family of
                                > glorified saints and "merely" ethicize that these people had
                                > of note for the Orthodox Christian.
                                > >
                                > > Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
                                > >

                                > > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, michael nikitin
                                > > <nikitinmike@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Fr. Basil, we already are involved with OCA? In California,
                                > > > Vl.Kirill sent a Ukase for everyone in his Diocese to
                                > > > concelebrate with the OCA. If the bishop comes to your Church
                                > > and
                                > > > brings clergy from the OCA, Fr. Basil will have no choice but
                                > > > serve with clergy from OCA or leave. You are done, Fr. Basil.
                                > > >
                                > > > Fr. Valery Luckianov also has to commemorate Patr. Alexey II
                                > > if
                                > > > Metr. Laurus serves in his parish. But what's the difference
                                > > > whether one commemorates the Patr. or commemorates Metr.
                                > > Laurus?
                                > > > They are both one now. Fr. Valery does not want to loose the
                                > > > church which he built with beautiful ikonostas and icons.
                                > > >
                                > > > Michael N

                                > > five
                                > > let's

                                > > allowed
                                > > Orthodoxy,

                                > > ______________
                                > > > Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search
                                > > > that gives answers, not web links.
                                > > > http://mobile.yahoo.com/mobileweb/onesearch?refer=1ONXIC

                                ______________
                                > Never miss an email again!

                              • Carol Surgant
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 8, 2007
                                  --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre de Bonnefoi
                                  <de_bonnefoi@...> wrote:

                                  > Father Stefan,
                                  >
                                  > Plato and Socrates had an excuse and a merit to guess God without
                                  any teaching.

                                  > Teresa of Calcutta and others (Paul VI, Athenagoras etc) are
                                  volontary apart from this teaching because they knew the existence of
                                  the righteous and orthodox teaching.

                                  Yes, and that is why in a few churches in Greece, Plato and Socrates
                                  might be found depicted without a halo *in the Narthex*. They gave
                                  glimpses of the truth, and perhaps prepared the Greeks to accept
                                  Christ, but are not of the church, therefore found only in the
                                  narthex. However, it is not Orthodox tradition to depict non-saints
                                  in the nave of the church where we worship surrounded by the those
                                  whom the God has revealed to the Church as saints.

                                  in Christ,
                                  Carol Surgant
                                • Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 8, 2007
                                    Alexander, DID I NOT SAY:>>>>>Socrates and Plato were pagans, but
                                    their images are there in honor of their pre-supposing monotheistic
                                    Theology<<<<<
                                    THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I SAID! Do you not read my post?

                                    Tell those who had the portraits put up, not me!