Re: [orthodox-synod] Innovations in the para-synagog of OCA

  • morechoff@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 5, 2007
      New Skete Monastery in New York was a Byzantine-Rite Franciscans monastery up until 1979 when they joined the OCA. This might explain the frescoes they have.

      Michael Orechoff

      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 5, 2007
        The frescos were completed in the last FIVE YEARS, please explain that. Theresa of Calcutta wasn't dead more than five years ago.It has not been a Franciscan monastery for oh, let's say almost 20 years.

        This is just a sampling of the bizarre things that are allowed in the OCA.,,,,and some people think this is normal Orthodoxy, and we should be more involved with them.

        Fr. Basil
        New Skete Monastery in New York was a Byzantine-Rite Franciscans monastery up until 1979 when they joined the OCA. This might explain the frescoes they have.

        Michael Orechoff

        One had laughed about these mural frescos in Romania depainting Gorbatchev, Bush Senior and Jean Paul II.

        Now, a skite of the OCA in the United States made the same thing : on the frescos, one can recognize : Athenagoras, the pope Paul VI and Mother Teresa of Calcutta.

        One can also admire in the column of photographs the magnificent blue clothing of the priest with mountains, an ass and a star.

        And all of that is under the eyes of Herman, big boss of the OCA. Curiously, there is not Jean-Paul II.

        Have fun: http://holytrinityorthodox.org/photos/new_skete.htm<http://holytrinityorthodox.org/photos/new_skete.htm>

        ADB

      • morechoff@aol.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 5, 2007
          I agree that the OCA is too liberal. I learned not too long ago that most of the Bishops eat meat which surprised me.

          I am used to Bishops being monks and not eating meat at all.

          But I am sure there are many OCA priests too that are not liberal and object to what goes on in the OCA.

          The OCA is going thru some tough times now with their leadership. We can only hope that things will change and will change in the true Orthodox direction....

          Mike Orechoff

[...]

        • Alexandre de Bonnefoi
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 6, 2007
            So, is it the same in Romania with the frescos of Gorbachev, Bush Senior and John-Paul II?

            A de Bonnefoi

              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 6, 2007
                Is there some aweful thing Theresa of Calcutta did that I'm not aware of?

                George

                On Tuesday, June 05, 2007, at 08:14PM, "Fr. Basil Grisel" <batushka@...> wrote:
                >The frescos were completed in the last FIVE YEARS, please explain that. Theresa of Calcutta wasn't dead more than five years ago.It has not been a Franciscan monastery for oh, let's say almost 20 years.
                >
                >This is just a sampling of the bizarre things that are allowed in the OCA.,,,,and some people think this is normal Orthodoxy, and we should be more involved with them.
                >
                >Fr. Basil

              • Fr. Basil Grisel
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 6, 2007
                  I do not know anything specific about Theresa of Calcutta, only that she doesn't belong depicted ikonographically in an Orthodox Church. I was just trying to set a time frame for the age of the artwork in contrast to the "orthodox" history of the monastery - to explain a bit "the frescos they have".

                  Fr. Basil

                • antiquariu@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 6, 2007
                    In a message dated 6/5/2007 8:15:45 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                    batushka@... writes:

                    The frescos were completed in the last FIVE YEARS, please explain that.
                    Theresa of Calcutta wasn't dead more than five years ago.It has not been a
                    Franciscan monastery for oh, let's say almost 20 years.

                    This is just a sampling of the bizarre things that are allowed in the
                    OCA.,,,,and some people think this is normal Orthodoxy, and we should be more
                    involved with them.

                    Fr. Basil

                    Dear in-Christ Father Basil, Bless!

                    Whereas I agree with your point, why pick on the OCA? There are those who
                    think "normal Orthodoxy" is defined by miraculous icon fraud and pederast
                    priests as well, and before ROCOR seeks out the specks in the OCA's eye, it
                    should perhaps get rid of the logs in its own. It's a Russian thing to use words
                    like "parasynagogue." Makes it sound intellectual and theologically correct,
                    sort of like the Russian/Soviet propensity to create new heresies by adding
                    "ism." New Skete is considered an embarrassment to many in the OCA, but
                    then again, Blanco -- which was highly and vocally supported by many in ROCOR at
                    the time -- was a lot more embarrassing than weird icons and New Age
                    priests. And we won't even talk about the slew of other lesser miraculous icons
                    which also preyed on the faithful. Let New Skete draw its own brickbats, and
                    once we're perfect, we can take up this issue again. For right now, we have
                    enough bizarre behavior to fill the books ourselves. We could, for example,
                    police protodeacons who publicly lambast their own priests and hiearchs and
                    cashier priests who flog weeping cardboard icons while having had the grace of
                    the Holy Spirit bless them multiple times with different weeping icons. We
                    could cut down on this "false flag" propensity that gives rise to clever use
                    of pen-names ranging from Russian obscenities ("Peace Duke") to Moliere ("de
                    Bonnefoi") to just plain made-up nonsense ("Mike Nikitin")characters, without
                    giving any idea just why they have axes to grind. We could even remove the
                    shadow of doubt by eliminating "paramonasticism," to use a neo-Soviet word,
                    and cut through the nonsense: you either are an Orthodox monk, or you're not.
                    Nuff said. I think we should be more involved with the OCA, and for that
                    matter, the rest of Orthodoxy as well. And just consider yourself and your
                    parish extremely lucky that you don't have any charlatans and shysters in it,
                    as some parishes did.

                    Father Basil, you and I met about a decade ago at John the Baptist in DC
                    when you were there for some clergy otgovenie; I recall liking the way your mind
                    worked. You were still in the process of finding a home, as I recall, and I
                    purchased a lovely Gospel (Sofrino) in binding that I presented to an OCA
                    priest (Father George Johnson) from Conemaugh, PA. Father George is but one of
                    many OCA priests I know who would be at home in either jurisdiction. He's
                    hardly innovative, but he's a great priest.

                    I still hope and pray -- as do you -- for the unity of God's Church, and one
                    of these days, God willing, we'll achieve it.

                    In Christ,

                    Vova H.

                  • michael nikitin
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 6, 2007
                      Fr. Basil, we already are involved with OCA? In California,
                      Vl.Kirill sent a Ukase for everyone in his Diocese to
                      concelebrate with the OCA. If the bishop comes to your Church and
                      brings clergy from the OCA, Fr. Basil will have no choice but to
                      serve with clergy from OCA or leave. You are done, Fr. Basil.

                      Fr. Valery Luckianov also has to commemorate Patr. Alexey II if
                      Metr. Laurus serves in his parish. But what's the difference
                      whether one commemorates the Patr. or commemorates Metr. Laurus?
                      They are both one now. Fr. Valery does not want to loose the
                      church which he built with beautiful ikonostas and icons.

                      Michael N

                      --- "Fr. Basil Grisel" <batushka@...> wrote:

                      > The frescos were completed in the last FIVE YEARS, please
                      > explain that. Theresa of Calcutta wasn't dead more than five
                      > years ago.It has not been a Franciscan monastery for oh, let's
                      > say almost 20 years.
                      >
                      > This is just a sampling of the bizarre things that are allowed
                      > in the OCA.,,,,and some people think this is normal Orthodoxy,
                      > and we should be more involved with them.
                      >
                      > Fr. Basil

                      that gives answers, not web links.
                    • Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 6, 2007
                        Is it not true that "one finds wall paintings (ON MOUNT ATHOS!) of
                        ancient philosophers such as Socrates and Plato (out right Pagans!)
                        at some monasteries, such as Vatopedi,..."

                        The pictures, all be it in iconographic style, have no halo/nimbus
                        thereby qualifying them as outside of the family of glorified saints
                        and "merely" ethicize that these people had >>>ASPECTS<<< of their
                        life, character or writings that is worthy of note for the Orthodox
                        Christian.

                        ______________
                        > that gives answers, not web links.

                      • Archpriest David Moser
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 6, 2007
                          <nikitinmike@...> wrote:

                          > Fr. Basil, we already are involved with OCA? In California,
                          > Vl.Kirill sent a Ukase for everyone in his Diocese to
                          > concelebrate with the OCA.

                          This is a lie - either that or no other priest I know has seen this
                          ukase. Abp Kyrill has given blessing for certain individual
                          concelebrations in certain limited circumstances - but no such
                          "blanket Ukase" applying to everyone exists.

                          ArchPr David Moser
                        • Reader Timothy Tadros
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 6, 2007
                            I have not seen a synodal ukase or where any of our bishop have
                            come out and said you may serve with any one whom you please. I was
                            quite surprised that while the reconcilliation/unification of the two
                            parts of the Russian Orthodox Church took place in Russia. Others
                            here in America seemed to think or took advantage of the situation
                            and held similar services with other priests of other jurisdictions
                            on Ascension.
                            Will this apply to any jurisdiction especially those on the new
                            calendar?
                            Rdr Timothy Tadros

                            --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Archpriest David Moser"
                            <moserd@...> wrote:

                            > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, michael nikitin
                            > <nikitinmike@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Fr. Basil, we already are involved with OCA? In California,
                            > > Vl.Kirill sent a Ukase for everyone in his Diocese to
                            > > concelebrate with the OCA.
                            >
                            > This is a lie - either that or no other priest I know has seen this
                            > ukase. Abp Kyrill has given blessing for certain individual
                            > concelebrations in certain limited circumstances - but no such
                            > "blanket Ukase" applying to everyone exists.
                            >

                            > ArchPr David Moser

                          • George
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 6, 2007
                              the only reason i've heard against concelebrating with other orthodox Christians on feat day outside the same calendar is the fact that one should not commemorate 2 feast days on the same feast day.

                              though I agree given the circumstances folks should be consulting with their bishops frist.

                              On Wednesday, June 06, 2007, at 10:16PM, "Reader Timothy Tadros" <pravoslavney@...> wrote:
                              > I have not seen a synodal ukase or where any of our bishop have
                              >come out and said you may serve with any one whom you please. I was
                              >quite surprised that while the reconcilliation/unification of the two
                              >parts of the Russian Orthodox Church took place in Russia. Others
                              >here in America seemed to think or took advantage of the situation
                              >and held similar services with other priests of other jurisdictions
                              >on Ascension.
                              > Will this apply to any jurisdiction especially those on the new
                              >calendar?
                              >Rdr Timothy Tadros
                              >
                              >--- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Archpriest David Moser"
                              ><moserd@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >> --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, michael nikitin
                              >> <nikitinmike@> wrote:
                              >> >
                              >> > Fr. Basil, we already are involved with OCA? In California,
                              >> > Vl.Kirill sent a Ukase for everyone in his Diocese to
                              >> > concelebrate with the OCA.
                              >>
                              >> This is a lie - either that or no other priest I know has seen this
                              >> ukase. Abp Kyrill has given blessing for certain individual
                              >> concelebrations in certain limited circumstances - but no such
                              >> "blanket Ukase" applying to everyone exists.
                              >>

                              >> ArchPr David Moser

                            • Alexandre de Bonnefoi
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 7, 2007
                                Dear George,

                                There is something that you are not aware. Like Martin Luther King, Gandhi, Mahomed, Mandela, Golda Meïr, Mussolini, Bush, she was not orthodox. So there is not any reason to see her on the frescos (icons) of an orthodox church.

                                How can you not be aware of that by yourself?

                                A de Bonnefoi

                                George <kharaku@...> a écrit :
                                Is there some aweful thing Theresa of Calcutta did that I'm not aware of?

                                George

                                On Tuesday, June 05, 2007, at 08:14PM, "Fr. Basil Grisel" <batushka@...> wrote:
                                >The frescos were completed in the last FIVE YEARS, please explain that. Theresa of Calcutta wasn't dead more than five years ago.It has not been a Franciscan monastery for oh, let's say almost 20 years.
                                >
                                >This is just a sampling of the bizarre things that are allowed in the OCA.,,,,and some people think this is normal Orthodoxy, and we should be more involved with them.
                                >
                                >Fr. Basil

                              • michael nikitin
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 7, 2007
                                  Is Fr.Stefan defending the paintings or the OCA?

                                  Michael N

                                  --- Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko <StefanVPavlenko@...>

                                  Never miss an email again!
                                • Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 7, 2007
                                    Neither! I said what I said, …on Mount Athos there are iconographic
                                    images of Socrates and Plato depicted in the entry of one of the
                                    Athonite Monastery edifices. Socrates and Plato were pagans, but
                                    their images are there in honor of their pre-supposing monotheistic
                                    Theology. Non-orthodox on the walls of Orthodox Churches, there it
                                    is! And no one is the worse off by it.

                                    <nikitinmike@...> wrote:

                                    > Is Fr.Stefan defending the paintings or the OCA?
                                    >
                                    > Michael N
                                    >

                                    > --- Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko <StefanVPavlenko@...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Is it not true that "one finds wall paintings (ON MOUNT ATHOS!)
                                    > > of ancient philosophers such as Socrates and Plato (out right
                                    > > Pagans!) at some monasteries, such as Vatopedi,..."
                                    > >
                                    > > The pictures, all be it in iconographic style, have no
                                    > > halo/nimbus thereby qualifying them as outside of the family of
                                    > glorified saints and "merely" ethicize that these people had
                                    > of note for the Orthodox Christian.
                                    > >
                                    > > Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
                                    > >

                                    > > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, michael nikitin
                                    > > <nikitinmike@> wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Fr. Basil, we already are involved with OCA? In California,
                                    > > > Vl.Kirill sent a Ukase for everyone in his Diocese to
                                    > > > concelebrate with the OCA. If the bishop comes to your Church
                                    > > and
                                    > > > brings clergy from the OCA, Fr. Basil will have no choice but
                                    > > > serve with clergy from OCA or leave. You are done, Fr. Basil.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Fr. Valery Luckianov also has to commemorate Patr. Alexey II
                                    > > if
                                    > > > Metr. Laurus serves in his parish. But what's the difference
                                    > > > whether one commemorates the Patr. or commemorates Metr.
                                    > > Laurus?
                                    > > > They are both one now. Fr. Valery does not want to loose the
                                    > > > church which he built with beautiful ikonostas and icons.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Michael N

                                    > > five
                                    > > let's

                                    > > allowed
                                    > > Orthodoxy,

                                    > > ______________
                                    > > > Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search
                                    > > > that gives answers, not web links.
                                    > > > http://mobile.yahoo.com/mobileweb/onesearch?refer=1ONXIC

                                    ______________
                                    > Never miss an email again!

                                  • Alexandre de Bonnefoi
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 8, 2007
                                      Father Stefan,

                                      Plato and Socrates had an excuse and a merit to guess God without any teaching.

                                      Teresa of Calcutta and others (Paul VI, Athenagoras etc) are volontary apart from this teaching because they knew the existence of the righteous and orthodox teaching.

                                      A de Bonnefoi

                                      <nikitinmike@...> wrote:

                                      > Is Fr.Stefan defending the paintings or the OCA?
                                      >
                                      > Michael N
                                      >

                                      > --- Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko <StefanVPavlenko@...>
                                      > wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > Is it not true that "one finds wall paintings (ON MOUNT ATHOS!)
                                      > > of ancient philosophers such as Socrates and Plato (out right
                                      > > Pagans!) at some monasteries, such as Vatopedi,..."
                                      > >
                                      > > The pictures, all be it in iconographic style, have no
                                      > > halo/nimbus thereby qualifying them as outside of the family of
                                      > glorified saints and "merely" ethicize that these people had
                                      > of note for the Orthodox Christian.
                                      > >
                                      > > Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
                                      > >

                                      > > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, michael nikitin
                                      > > <nikitinmike@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Fr. Basil, we already are involved with OCA? In California,
                                      > > > Vl.Kirill sent a Ukase for everyone in his Diocese to
                                      > > > concelebrate with the OCA. If the bishop comes to your Church
                                      > > and
                                      > > > brings clergy from the OCA, Fr. Basil will have no choice but
                                      > > > serve with clergy from OCA or leave. You are done, Fr. Basil.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Fr. Valery Luckianov also has to commemorate Patr. Alexey II
                                      > > if
                                      > > > Metr. Laurus serves in his parish. But what's the difference
                                      > > > whether one commemorates the Patr. or commemorates Metr.
                                      > > Laurus?
                                      > > > They are both one now. Fr. Valery does not want to loose the
                                      > > > church which he built with beautiful ikonostas and icons.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Michael N

                                      > > five
                                      > > let's

                                      > > allowed
                                      > > Orthodoxy,

                                      > > ______________
                                      > > > Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search
                                      > > > that gives answers, not web links.
                                      > > > http://mobile.yahoo.com/mobileweb/onesearch?refer=1ONXIC

                                      ______________
                                      > Never miss an email again!

                                    • Carol Surgant
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jun 8, 2007
                                        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre de Bonnefoi
                                        <de_bonnefoi@...> wrote:

                                        > Father Stefan,
                                        >
                                        > Plato and Socrates had an excuse and a merit to guess God without
                                        any teaching.

                                        > Teresa of Calcutta and others (Paul VI, Athenagoras etc) are
                                        volontary apart from this teaching because they knew the existence of
                                        the righteous and orthodox teaching.

                                        Yes, and that is why in a few churches in Greece, Plato and Socrates
                                        might be found depicted without a halo *in the Narthex*. They gave
                                        glimpses of the truth, and perhaps prepared the Greeks to accept
                                        Christ, but are not of the church, therefore found only in the
                                        narthex. However, it is not Orthodox tradition to depict non-saints
                                        in the nave of the church where we worship surrounded by the those
                                        whom the God has revealed to the Church as saints.

                                        in Christ,
                                        Carol Surgant
                                      • Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jun 8, 2007
                                          Alexander, DID I NOT SAY:>>>>>Socrates and Plato were pagans, but
                                          their images are there in honor of their pre-supposing monotheistic
                                          Theology<<<<<
                                          THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I SAID! Do you not read my post?

                                          Tell those who had the portraits put up, not me!