Re: [orthodox-synod] TIME Magazine: Putin's Reunited Russian Church

  • Theodora
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 4, 2007
      Ah, what a world. In case someone else wants to shout about the "quilt". I
      said "icons" for the Feast Days but they are really
      not.........forgive....but they are embr. designs for the Feast Days. I
      don't think I will go to hell for this but should anyone think so, I am
      sorry for you. You don't have to look at it. So enough said. The cross
      also is not candy in any way. Lord have mercy. There are many tile icons
      in use from these tiny ones to large one in Orthodoxy. From inlay to
      mosaics it is an old tradition and can be found on crosses to tables to
      windows, etc. Now, if anyone wants to post me privately I will try to
      explain if I have not been clear as to my sewing. If you want to see more
      you can go to my site.

      http://jennelou.tripod.com/

      Lord be with us all.

      Theodora in The Mountains

      snip
    • David-Constantine Wright
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 5, 2007
        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Theodora" <theomtn@...> wrote:

        > The kind that has a mother who does emb. icons and was blessed to
        give this
        > "quilt" with icons for all the Feast Days to her son before she
        reposes so
        > that he would have a sample of her work as a remembrance (which I
        told was
        > quiet permissible) This is done is the tradition of older
        Orthodoxy
        > needlework in several countries throughout the world and is in no
        way a
        > "freak" thing and date far back in Orthodox culture. Lord have
        mercy on you
        > and your lack of understanding of our Faith. And your lack of
        compassion
        > and love as is seen in all your posts to whomever you dislike.

        Don't let the leagalistic pharisees get you down. One thing I've
        discovered is that our Church, our Faith, is much bigger and better
        than they are (than I used to be). Remember what Fr. Anthony said to
        you concerning them, how good and praiseworthy they are.

        The Cross, BTW, was made by a lovely and Orthodox woman in California
        who belongs to the Jerusalem Patriarchate and makes and sells many of
        these Crosses as a ministry for the parish there. What is upon the
        Cross are mounted from the little icon buttons which one may find in
        canonical Orthodox bookstores.

        In Christ Made Flesh,
        Rd. DC

        | Reader David-Constantine Wright |
        | http://constans_wright.tripod.com |
        | "God became Human so that human beings could become gods." |
        | ---- St. Athanasius the Great, *On the Incarnation* |
      • David-Constantine Wright
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 5, 2007
          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Theodora" <theomtn@...> wrote:

          > Ah, what a world. In case someone else wants to shout about
          the "quilt". I
          > said "icons" for the Feast Days but they are really
          > not.........forgive....but they are embr. designs for the Feast

          No, you are right the first time: they are icons. Icons may be made of
          many different materials. Remember, Fr. Anthony blessed the embroidered
          icon of St. Juliana of Lazarevo with Holy Water and set it in the Altar
          for 40 days... which is what the Church does for icons.