Re: [orthodox-synod] TIME Magazine: Putin's Reunited Russian Church

  • Theodora
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 4, 2007
      The kind that has a mother who does emb. icons and was blessed to give this
      "quilt" with icons for all the Feast Days to her son before she reposes so
      that he would have a sample of her work as a remembrance (which I told was
      quiet permissible) This is done is the tradition of older Orthodoxy
      needlework in several countries throughout the world and is in no way a
      "freak" thing and date far back in Orthodox culture. Lord have mercy on you
      and your lack of understanding of our Faith. And your lack of compassion
      and love as is seen in all your posts to whomever you dislike.

      Theodora in The Mountains who is seriously considering leaving this Church.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 4, 2007
        Ah, what a world. In case someone else wants to shout about the "quilt". I
        said "icons" for the Feast Days but they are really
        not.........forgive....but they are embr. designs for the Feast Days. I
        don't think I will go to hell for this but should anyone think so, I am
        sorry for you. You don't have to look at it. So enough said. The cross
        also is not candy in any way. Lord have mercy. There are many tile icons
        in use from these tiny ones to large one in Orthodoxy. From inlay to
        mosaics it is an old tradition and can be found on crosses to tables to
        windows, etc. Now, if anyone wants to post me privately I will try to
        explain if I have not been clear as to my sewing. If you want to see more
        you can go to my site.

        http://jennelou.tripod.com/

        Lord be with us all.

        Theodora in The Mountains

        snip
      • David-Constantine Wright
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 5, 2007
          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Theodora" <theomtn@...> wrote:

          > The kind that has a mother who does emb. icons and was blessed to
          give this
          > "quilt" with icons for all the Feast Days to her son before she
          reposes so
          > that he would have a sample of her work as a remembrance (which I
          told was
          > quiet permissible) This is done is the tradition of older
          Orthodoxy
          > needlework in several countries throughout the world and is in no
          way a
          > "freak" thing and date far back in Orthodox culture. Lord have
          mercy on you
          > and your lack of understanding of our Faith. And your lack of
          compassion
          > and love as is seen in all your posts to whomever you dislike.

          Don't let the leagalistic pharisees get you down. One thing I've
          discovered is that our Church, our Faith, is much bigger and better
          than they are (than I used to be). Remember what Fr. Anthony said to
          you concerning them, how good and praiseworthy they are.

          The Cross, BTW, was made by a lovely and Orthodox woman in California
          who belongs to the Jerusalem Patriarchate and makes and sells many of
          these Crosses as a ministry for the parish there. What is upon the
          Cross are mounted from the little icon buttons which one may find in
          canonical Orthodox bookstores.

          In Christ Made Flesh,

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 5, 2007
            --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Theodora" <theomtn@...> wrote:

            > Ah, what a world. In case someone else wants to shout about
            the "quilt". I
            > said "icons" for the Feast Days but they are really
            > not.........forgive....but they are embr. designs for the Feast

            No, you are right the first time: they are icons. Icons may be made of
            many different materials. Remember, Fr. Anthony blessed the embroidered
            icon of St. Juliana of Lazarevo with Holy Water and set it in the Altar
            for 40 days... which is what the Church does for icons.