[orthodox-synod] Re: nothing to do but guess

  • UDUT, KENNETH
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 1999
      Father, Bless!

      Not knowing you in person, and only from e-mail, nevertheless, I think you
      would
      fare well in a chat room. Depending how many people are on it at one time,
      it
      can be exillerating or exhausting, much like having a few people talk to you
      at
      once at coffee hour, but you're able to distinguish what each are saying.

      It might be a nice idea to set aside, just for starters, an hour a week
      where
      anyone who can should attempt to get together in the chat room feature.

      Then, as time goes on, introduce new 'official' times to meet, and over
      time,
      people will get used to the area and come in on their own times.

      Chat rooms make it easier to get to know people better - they're more likely
      open up and 'ease up' after a few minutes typing in real-time to each other,

      than with a mailing list which tends to be archived - very little difference
      being published in the op-ed section of a magazine.

      Nothing substitutes for being in person, but the Internet does make it
      easier to
      'make do'.

      Just my two cents.

      Oh, and a P.S. - I would haphazard a guess that there are 947.3 subscribers
      the orthodox-synod mailing list :)

      -Kenneth
      listowner of orthpoem and orthhymn @ egroups.com

      _________________________________
      Subject: [orthodox-synod] nothing to do but guess
      Author: "Rev Mark Gilstrap" [SMTP:gilstrap@...] at S-P_EXHUB_AM
      Date: 06/04/1999 10:28 PM

      Dear orthodox-synod subscribers,

      If you are reading this posting from me, you are a member of
      the orthodox-synod list - at the *new* address. You don't
      have to do anything to join. If you were a member at the
      old address, you are a member still. This is just a(nother)
      change of address (as the welcome message explains) - hopefully
      the last such change of address.

      To post to the synod list just reply to this e-mail, or
      compose a new message addressed to:

      orthodox-synod@egroups.com

      Don't use the old address of orthodox-synod@...

      This new egroups host will archive the list postings at a
      web site. For security reasons (to help protect against
      spam, spoofing and other undesirable fallout from public
      display of your addresses) the archive is readable only
      if you are a member of this list - which you are... so go
      to www.egroups.com and see how it works.

      If it helps you get familar with the way egroups works,
      feel free to chime in with an "I'm here" message at this new
      address.

      I imagine few of you realize how many members there are on
      this list! Care to guess?

      There appears to be a "chat" function associated with this
      egroups host. Anyone know how that works? Want to make a
      suggestion as to when people who desire to communicate (inter-
      actively in real time) should show up? Suggest a topic? I
      have been using various modes of digital communication for
      nearly 20 years now, but I don't think I have ever ventured
      into a chat room. Dare I?

      Priest Mark Gilstrap
      owner-orthodox@...

      What's everyone looking at? Check out the Top40 most requested stocks!
      Plus quotes, charts, news, portfolios, mutual funds, and discussion.
      All free, fast, and easy. Visit: http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/237

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/orthodox-synod

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/orthodox-synod