Praying *with* heretics

  • Mitin, Stiva
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9 6:00 AM
      In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Paul Bartlett <bartlett@...> wrote:
      > > When I was baptized at HTM in 1974, the non-Orthodox were expected
      > > to step out of the church at the Dismissal of the Catechumens. I
      > > sometimes wonder whether the Dismissal has become an empty liturgical
      > > formality. And quite some time ago I mentioned on this (or another)
      > > list that when I first went to Platina (October, 1974, to be exact)
      > > before I became Orthodox, by the explicit statement of Fr. Seraphim
      > > (Rose) I was not allowed to enter the church or venerate the icons.

      Think of the hundreds (thousands?) of heterodox and probably a few non
      believers who are allowed to approach our beloved and namolennya Kursk, St
      Nicholas and--before it disappeared--Iverion icons. And there are instances
      of non-Orthodox receiving healing [from them.]

      On 5/9/07, Fr. John R. Shaw <vrevjrs@...> wrote:
      > Not allowing "outsiders" to enter the church till they were at least
      catechumens, would
      > simply push people away and discourage further interest or contacts.
      >
      > But in many or most of our parishes, there is nothing beyond the church
      building itself. If
      > one could not enter, the most likely reaction would be "Goodbye, then".

      Indeed! Thank goodness that practice was not followed when Prince Vladimir
      visited Constantinople!

      Does anyone know when the practice of putting out the catechumens actually
      stopped occurring? Was it in the early centuries of the Church? The Middle
      Ages?