Re: [orthodox-synod] Repost from 2001: On Baptism and Chrismation

  • Paul Bartlett
    Message 1 of 2 , May 7, 2007
      On Mon, 7 May 2007, Rev. Alexander Lebedeff wrote:

      > However, what was not mentioned in this regard is that the Russian Orthodox
      > Church, in its official regulations . . .
      > mandates that confirmed Roman Catholics and Armenians
      > are to be accepted by Repudiation of Heresy and Confession of Faith
      > **only** and they are then admitted to communion. They are **not** to be
      > Chrismated.

      However, as is well known, these regulations were not always followed
      in practice in the diaspora. In 1974 I, a Roman Catholic, was baptized
      and chrismated by Fr. Panteleimon at Holy Transfiguration Monastery.
      But lest some complain about the "Panteleimonites," I will also point
      out that Fr. Seraphim Rose, who is held in high esteem by many here
      (and whom I got to know personally), made no adverse remark about this
      procedure.

      --
      Paul Bartlett