Legalizing abortion implies killing true freedom

  • Basil Yakimov
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2007
      Legalizing abortion implies killing true freedom

      Where is the most dangerous place in the world to live? Is it
      Iraq, or perhaps Sudan? No, it is in the motheròÀÙs womb. More people are
      murdered through abortion than through any other source. A few days ago
      Mexico became one of last hold-outs to fall under the spell of this evil
      that is gripping the world.

      On a superficial level, we may be convinced that legalized abortion
      has not really changed much in our private lives and in the life of
      our societies. It all takes place in the silence of an operating room
      which ensures the womanòÀÙs safety. And it is as if the foetus that will
      never see the light of day had never existed.

      However, the recognition of the sacred character of human life and of
      its inviolability - a principle admitting no exceptions - is not some
      trivial little problem or a question that may be considered relative, in
      view of the pluralism of opinions we find in modern society. There are no
      "small murders". The respect for every human life is an essential condition
      if a societal life worthy of the name is to be possible. When manòÀÙs
      conscience loses respect for life as something sacred, he inevitably ends by
      losing his own identity.

      Today, in many people's consciences, the perception of the
      gravity of abortion has become progressively obscured. The acceptance of
      abortion in the popular mind, in behaviour and even in law itself, is a telling
      sign of an extremely dangerous crisis of the moral sense, which is
      becoming more and more incapable of distinguishing between good and evil,
      even when the fundamental right to life is at stake. The moral
      gravity of procured abortion is apparent in all its truth if we recognize
      that we are dealing with murder. Given such a grave situation, we need now
      more than ever to have the courage to look the truth in the eye and to
      call things by their proper name, without yielding to convenient
      compromises or to the temptation of self-deception.

      To claim the right to abortion and to recognize that right in law,
      means to attribute to human freedom a perverse and evil significance:
      that of an absolute power over others and against others. This is the
      death of true freedom.

      With respectful and cordial best wishes I remain sincerely yours,

      Paul Kokoski
      Ontario Canada