Re: Red Candles???

  • Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
    Message 1 of 13 , May 3, 2007
      The color "red", crimson/ very bright red, for emigre Russians became
      much like the word "gay" in the English Language. A wonderful word a
      beautiful color ruined by evil ideologies that make the very sound
      and sight distasteful and symbolizing an abomination. But in Russia
      the color Red was always intertwined with stronger meanings, beauty
      and joy, so they stayed more firmly in the body of the faithful...
      maybe there is still hope for the word GAY!

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, DDD <dimitradd@...> wrote:

      > On Wed, 02 May 2007 17:46:20 -0500, Anna Voellmecke wrote:
      > At 01:14 AM 5/2/2007, you wrote:
      > >Christ is Risen!
      >
      > Truly, He is Risen!
      >
      > >Can someone tell me what is with those horrible "blood-red"
      candles at
      > >Boris Yeltsin's funeral??
      >
      > ???? I didn't get to see the video, but I have seen red candles at
      > ROCOR cathedral in Munich. I thought it was because it was
      Pentecost.
      > It's an interesting question.
      >
      > Anna V.
      >
      > I don't know about them, either, but I recently was doing an image
      search for photos of Russian wedding crowns, and one of the photos
      the search engine came up with showed the small table with the two
      crowns on it and two RED candles! ??

      > --Dimitra Dwelley
      > _______________________

    • Fr. Anthony Nelson
      Message 2 of 13 , May 3, 2007
        A long time ago - probably 15 years - an emigre' Russian family here
        offered to bring and donate candles for the Paschal Vigil. What they
        showed up with were boxes of red candles. No one at the Vigil that
        night commented one way or the other...so it was obviously not
        unexpected or abnormal...

        At 09:29 AM 5/3/2007, you wrote:

        >The color "red", crimson/ very bright red, for emigre Russians became
        >much like the word "gay" in the English Language. A wonderful word a
        >beautiful color ruined by evil ideologies that make the very sound
        >and sight distasteful and symbolizing an abomination. But in Russia
        >the color Red was always intertwined with stronger meanings, beauty
        >and joy, so they stayed more firmly in the body of the faithful...
        >maybe there is still hope for the word GAY!

        Well...I don't know if "GAY" can be rehabilitated. At least in this society!

        Fr. Anthony

      • Stephen/Στέφανος
        Message 3 of 13 , May 3, 2007
          Yes, father, but making "red" candles has to be a new tradition, an
          innovation; and is probably against the church canons because they
          most likely use an "artificial dye" to make that color, whereas
          Orthodox candles are supposed to be made of "pure beeswax" with no
          artificial ingredients. Red paschal eggs and red (crimson)
          vestments *are* traditional.

          (I do lament that so many Greek churches in the diaspora use
          petroleum/paraffin candles, they're uncanonical, smell horrible when
          extinguished and are simply tacky!)

          Stephanos

          Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko wrote:

          > The color "red", crimson/ very bright red, for emigre Russians became
          > much like the word "gay" in the English Language. A wonderful word a
          > beautiful color ruined by evil ideologies that make the very sound
          > and sight distasteful and symbolizing an abomination. But in Russia
          > the color Red was always intertwined with stronger meanings, beauty
          > and joy, so they stayed more firmly in the body of the faithful...
          > maybe there is still hope for the word GAY!
          >
          > Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
          >
          > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:orthodox-synod%40yahoogroups.com>, DDD <dimitradd@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > On Wed, 02 May 2007 17:46:20 -0500, Anna Voellmecke wrote:
          > > At 01:14 AM 5/2/2007, you wrote:
          > > >Christ is Risen!
          > >
          > > Truly, He is Risen!
          > >
          > > >Can someone tell me what is with those horrible "blood-red"
          > candles at
          > > >Boris Yeltsin's funeral??
          > >
          > > ???? I didn't get to see the video, but I have seen red candles at
          > > ROCOR cathedral in Munich. I thought it was because it was
          > Pentecost.
          > > It's an interesting question.
          > >
          > > Anna V.
          > >
          > > I don't know about them, either, but I recently was doing an image
          > search for photos of Russian wedding crowns, and one of the photos
          > the search engine came up with showed the small table with the two
          > crowns on it and two RED candles! ??
          > >
          > > --Dimitra Dwelley
          > > _______________________

        • George
          Message 4 of 13 , May 3, 2007
            indeed the color red has been popular in Russia long before the communists and continues to be favored.

            i've also heard that krasnaya (red in Russian) in old Russian could also mean beautiful or important.

            assuming that anything Russian and Red is somehow a relation to the Soviets or their Ideaology is a mistake.

            George

            On Thursday, May 03, 2007, at 04:23PM, "Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko" <StefanVPavlenko@...> wrote:
            >The color "red", crimson/ very bright red, for emigre Russians became
            >much like the word "gay" in the English Language. A wonderful word a
            >beautiful color ruined by evil ideologies that make the very sound
            >and sight distasteful and symbolizing an abomination. But in Russia
            >the color Red was always intertwined with stronger meanings, beauty
            >and joy, so they stayed more firmly in the body of the faithful...
            >maybe there is still hope for the word GAY!
            >
            >Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
            >

            >--- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, DDD <dimitradd@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> On Wed, 02 May 2007 17:46:20 -0500, Anna Voellmecke wrote:
            >> At 01:14 AM 5/2/2007, you wrote:
            >> >Christ is Risen!
            >>
            >> Truly, He is Risen!
            >>
            >> >Can someone tell me what is with those horrible "blood-red"
            >candles at
            >> >Boris Yeltsin's funeral??
            >>
            >> ???? I didn't get to see the video, but I have seen red candles at
            >> ROCOR cathedral in Munich. I thought it was because it was
            >Pentecost.
            >> It's an interesting question.
            >>
            >> Anna V.
            >>
            >> I don't know about them, either, but I recently was doing an image
            >search for photos of Russian wedding crowns, and one of the photos
            >the search engine came up with showed the small table with the two
            >crowns on it and two RED candles! ??
            >>
            >> --Dimitra Dwelley
            >> _______________________

          • Rev Fr Mark Gilstrap
            Message 5 of 13 , May 3, 2007
              --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, George <kharaku@...> wrote:

              > indeed the color red has been popular in Russia long before the
              communists and continues to be favored.

              > i've also heard that krasnaya (red in Russian) in old Russian could
              also mean beautiful or important.

              case in point: Red Square
            • proto@net2000.com.au
              Message 6 of 13 , May 3, 2007
                Dear Stephanos,
                When the late Archbishop Anthony of San Francisco was bishop of Melbourne,
                i.e. 1956-1967, he always used red candles in the bishop's blessing
                candlesticks. Red candles were made for the parishioners on Easter Eve and the
                subdeacons and deacons wore red orarions on their white vestments. I doubt
                that this is an innovation, but something that Vladyka Anthony was particular
                about at the time. If anything, this is a Russian tradition and has nothing
                to do canonicity.
                In Christ
                Fr Michael Protopopov.

                Quoting Stephen/Στέφανος <sbuatl@...>:

                > Yes, father, but making "red" candles has to be a new tradition, an
                > innovation; and is probably against the church canons because they
                > most likely use an "artificial dye" to make that color, whereas
                > Orthodox candles are supposed to be made of "pure beeswax" with no
                > artificial ingredients. Red paschal eggs and red (crimson)
                > vestments *are* traditional.
                >
                > (I do lament that so many Greek churches in the diaspora use
                > petroleum/paraffin candles, they're uncanonical, smell horrible when
                > extinguished and are simply tacky!)
                >
                > Stephanos
                >

                > Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko wrote:
                > >
                > > The color "red", crimson/ very bright red, for emigre Russians became
                > > much like the word "gay" in the English Language. A wonderful word a
                > > beautiful color ruined by evil ideologies that make the very sound
                > > and sight distasteful and symbolizing an abomination. But in Russia
                > > the color Red was always intertwined with stronger meanings, beauty
                > > and joy, so they stayed more firmly in the body of the faithful...
                > > maybe there is still hope for the word GAY!
                > >
                > > Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
                > >
                > > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
                > > <mailto:orthodox-synod%40yahoogroups.com>, DDD <dimitradd@...> wrote:

                > > > Truly, He is Risen!

                > > candles at
                > > >
                > > > ???? I didn't get to see the video, but I have seen red candles at
                > > > ROCOR cathedral in Munich. I thought it was because it was
                > > Pentecost.
                > > > It's an interesting question.
                > > >
                > > > Anna V.
                > > >
                > > > I don't know about them, either, but I recently was doing an image
                > > search for photos of Russian wedding crowns, and one of the photos
                > > the search engine came up with showed the small table with the two
                > > crowns on it and two RED candles! ??
                > > >
                > > > --Dimitra Dwelley
                > > > _______________________

              • Carol Surgant
                Message 7 of 13 , May 3, 2007
                  --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Stephen/Στέφανος
                  <sbuatl@...> wrote:

                  > Yes, father, but making "red" candles has to be a new
                  >tradition, an innovation; and is probably against
                  >the church canons because they most likely use an
                  >"artificial dye" to make that color, whereas Orthodox
                  >candles are supposed to be made of "pure beeswax" with
                  >no artificial ingredients. Red paschal eggs and red
                  >(crimson) vestments *are* traditional.

                  XB!

                  Many Russians would consider the bright red eggs (dyed with Greek
                  ARTIFICIAL chemical dyes) to be untraditional. Traditional Russian
                  Pascha eggs are dyed with natural vegetable dyes made from onion
                  skins, etc. So, please don't try to twist differences in ethnic
                  customs into canonical arguments. For every canon that you wish to
                  hurl against the Russians, I could find another to hurl against the
                  Greeks (both old and new calendar.) In the end, we won't have
                  accomplished much except to have behaved in an exceedingly un-
                  Christian manner. I prefer to leave judgements about what "is
                  probably against the church canons" to my bishop.

                  In Christ,
                  Carol Surgant
                • Martinian Prince
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 4, 2007
                    Chris is Risen!

                    Father, bless!

                    I beg you all not to consider things like gay and red "ruined by evil
                    ideologies" to us who honor and seek the Truth. Father Stefan is
                    right, there IS yet hope! We had them first; they are still ours to
                    take back. I submit this view: continue to fearlessly use those things
                    whose original meanings are innocent and good! We may be the last
                    thing standing between a bit of good being snuffed out, usurped by the
                    spirit of Antichrist.

                    I humbly yet firmly say that we should use these things unnaffected,
                    in innocence and goodwill, as those exhorted to live in the world and
                    not be of it. Every good, noble, beautiful,righteous and holy thing
                    will be taken by the enemy and twisted to suit his purposes, but only
                    as the world understands them--we are not of this world. We did not
                    let the Arians take the word 'Christ'. Rightly, it is the big ideas we
                    should most fiercely defend. Why, however, should we give the world
                    even the smallest word or concept? What has the world ever given us?

                    Could this be a token way to "be as the little children" and in our
                    own unnaffected use of the word, keep the innocence and simplicity of
                    gaiety alive? After growing up in the SF Bay Area, and had friends, of
                    a sort, who had fallen to the temptation implied, I know there is no
                    mistake in the colors, words and symbols chosen to proclaim their
                    accursed path. See how the demons have led these wretched dupes to
                    wave a rainbow flag--the very symbol God gave to us as a promise to
                    never again punish us for our sins by a destroying flood--as a mockery
                    of His mercy.

                    I don't say this as a rebellion to what you said Father, but I heard
                    your comment as a call to rebellion. I say no! I will not let words be
                    taken from me because those lost in darkness have forgotten their
                    understanding. "God is with us,understand O ye nations, and submit
                    yourselves!" We are the wards and keepers of those things that are
                    good, noble, beautiful, righteous and holy. Consider them to be a
                    prize to be won in the Unseen Warfare! I certainly feel this is so,
                    but feelings can't be trusted, and I'm no authority.

                    What do you think, Father Stefan? Do we do work for good by ignoring
                    the implications that the world and the enemy have inflicted on
                    traditional concepts and culture? When I read books by Charles Dickens
                    or the Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder,
                    there is so much cultural good that is now lost or reviled. This world
                    is so in need of gentility and nobility (but not fake, we have enough
                    of that)! I don't want to give up what we can still keep by orthopraxis.

                    Wishing all a Paschaltide bright and gay!

                    He is Risen indeed!

                    Sdn Martinian

                    --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko"

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 4, 2007
                      And RAINBOW!, how dare Rainbow be taken over by political ideologues,
                      it is wonderful if it only represented to some the joy of all peoples
                      together, that's fine, but again it included radical political
                      stripes and immoral activities also, how sad is that. We are taking
                      the RAINBOW back, too! We had a gay time at the picnic after the
                      summer shower, when the rainbow shone brightly above our heads!

                      Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko

                      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Martinian Prince"
                      <riparianprince@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      beauty
                      > > and joy, so they stayed more firmly in the body of the
                      faithful...
                      > > maybe there is still hope for the word GAY!
                      > >
                      > > Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
                      > >

                      > > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, DDD <dimitradd@> wrote:

                      > > > Truly, He is Risen!

                      > > candles at
                      > > >
                      > > > ???? I didn't get to see the video, but I have seen red
                      candles at
                      > > > ROCOR cathedral in Munich. I thought it was because it was
                      > > Pentecost.
                      > > > It's an interesting question.
                      > > >
                      > > > Anna V.
                      > > >
                      > > > I don't know about them, either, but I recently was doing an
                      image
                      > > search for photos of Russian wedding crowns, and one of the
                      photos
                      > > the search engine came up with showed the small table with the

                    • German Ciuba
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 10, 2007
                        I applaud subdeacon Martinian's essay and certainly agree with Fr
                        Stefan's added comments about the rainbow.
                        The proper use of language is a long-standing concern of mine. Language
                        can easily and subtly be manipulated by those with a particular agenda.
                        We are seeing this more and more now in this age of mass media and
                        instantaneous communication. In a single generation there have been many
                        words that have been misappropriated or rejected, often by the political
                        correctness lobby.
                        Though we must fight for the rainbow, I am afraid we have lost the word
                        gay. Most unfortunate! I agree that we should be able to use it in its
                        old sense. It's a perfectly good word, as long as people understand the
                        sense it which it used. But if a parish advertised a "gay parish picnic"
                        or something of that sort, I think it would attract the wrong kind of
                        attention. It's sad that sick people have taken over a nice (there's an
                        old-fashioned word from my childhood) word; it masks a reference to
                        their psycho-spiritual sickness. On the other hand, for those of us
                        brought up with the last of the Victorian culture of euphemisms, in
                        which a certain short word beginning with "s" was never mentioned in
                        polite conversation, even within the family circle, it is convenient to
                        have a word that is not so ugly as the sin to which it refers, of which
                        it is shameful even to speak, as St Paul says.
                        It seems a similar, and even worse, situation has occurred in
                        contemporary Russian. Slang is always changing, but at least few years
                        ago the word "goluboy" (blue) was being used to refer to the same people
                        who have taken over "gay." Imagine - the colour of the heavens, the
                        colour of the Mother of God being used for stubborn sinners! At least we
                        can substitute another word, such as "merry", for "gay", if we wish to
                        avoid misunderstanding and smirking. Blue, however, is one of those
                        basic words for which there is no substitute.
                        (By the way, I recall an instance some years ago, in a parish comprised
                        of mostly elderly Russian immigrants, where I was told that red covers
                        were not desirable in church, because red is Soviet.)
                        I will continue to speak English as I learned it over fifty years ago.
                        It is true that language changes, but we can resist the change, refuse
                        to go along with it, till no one understnads us any more, and then we
                        can translate for them into another idiom. This is the value of "King
                        James" English or Church Slavonic - words that are used in a fixed and
                        anciently accepted way, not subject to the sway of newspaper columnists,
                        rappers or university language police.
                        A basic English word for which we _must _contend is the word "man." This
                        is a word for which there is no substitute. Those who either
                        deliberately or unthinkingly accept the PC rejection of its age-old
                        meaning of God's rational and physical creature frequently resort to the
                        circumlocution of "human being." That sounds like a scientific term, not
                        an ordinary word. Must we soon refer to pets (another word that some
                        wish to outlaw) as "feline beings" and "canine beings," or ride "equine
                        beings," or drink milk from "bovine beings"? Or else they resort to
                        "person" or "individual", which are proper and specific philosophical
                        and legal terms, but when overused in conversation sound like speech
                        from a Damon Runyon story, in which everyone is regularly referred to as
                        a "citizen." The refusal to use the word "man" in its common meaning is
                        part of an insidious plan to sexualize (sorry! there's that word) or
                        genderize all of language and, ultimately, all of life. I used to make
                        it a point to tell young people in church school classes that boys and
                        girls, men and women are all men, part of mankind, and each of us is a
                        man. ("Mankind was my business!" cried Marley's ghost.) Treatises could
                        be, and have been, written on the subject of the alteration of language
                        as a sign of the alteration of culture. (Perhaps someone could recommend
                        a favourite book on the subject.) It is always good to see a man jump to
                        the defence of his tongue.
                        Hieromonk German Ciuba