Re: [orthodox-synod] Off topic but not entirely: source for book to help non-...

  • antiquariu@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2007
      In a message dated 5/2/2007 3:43:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      matanna@... writes:

      Christ is risen!

      Sometimes parishioners who do not speak English ask me to translate
      for them in their dealings with various agencies and businesses.

      There are things that I can do in Russian and then there are things
      for which there were no Russian words back when I was in college.

      Does anyone know of a good booklet or dictionary that either the
      parishioners could use, for dealing with things like cell phone bills
      and taxes, or which I could use, to translate the answers?

      Dear in Christ Matushka!

      We have had great success with almost any of the modern Russian beginner
      courses offered at various universities. One of my favorites, which I use for
      teaching intro level, is Pulkina-Nekrasova, and then there is one set (4
      volumes) usually available of the Potapova "Learning Russian," left over from the
      closing Soviet days, at many used book stores. I'm not sure if Kamkin still
      exists, but there is always the St Petersburg Bookstore in Brighton Beach,
      which is very good at mailorder -- myruskniga.com. If you are near NY, it's
      worth a trip: they have a huge religious selection as well, and i managed to
      get my favorite priests excellent scholarly bible editions put out by the RPTs.

      A final tip, a bit more difficult - is to ask whether any of your
      parishioners are DLI graduates (Monterey). Alumni are allowed to get a CD copy of the
      spoken Russian course, which is up to date, for free. I unfortunately have
      squirrelled mine away.

      In Christ

      Vova H.