Re: [orthodox-synod] Red candles

  • Stephen/Στέφανος
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2007
      Christ is Risen!

      In general there really are no liturgical colors in Greek tradition,
      with the exception of: gold, white and red for Pascha, red for feasts
      of the Precious Cross, dark purple for Great Lent (I have never seen
      "black" vestments in Greek use) and I can't remember, but perhaps Green
      for Pentecost. But at most feasts in Greek use, the clergy will be in
      all colors of vestments.
      I know of no specific color designated for the Theomētoric feasts in
      Greek use, no specific color for Advent/Christmas Fast.

      How do the make the candles red?? I must not be natural, must be some
      artificial chemical dye!??

      Stephanos

      P.S. These questions are not "beat-up on the Russians" questions. I
      wish to learn the answers to these questions, and to make observations
      of Russian innovation, when they are always accusing the Greeks of
      innovation. (I must SADLY lament, that in most Greek churches today
      (in the diaspora, at least), they are using white "petroleum" candles,
      often bought from Roman Catholic or Protestant suppliers; rather than
      the proper "beeswax" candles we are supposed to use, made by ORTHODOX
      monks and nuns!)