Off topic but not entirely: source for book to help non-English speaking

  • (matushka) Ann Lardas
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2007
      Christ is risen!

      Sometimes parishioners who do not speak English ask me to translate
      for them in their dealings with various agencies and businesses.

      There are things that I can do in Russian and then there are things
      for which there were no Russian words back when I was in college.

      Does anyone know of a good booklet or dictionary that either the
      parishioners could use, for dealing with things like cell phone bills
      and taxes, or which I could use, to translate the answers?

      When I took Russian, it was more like Latin, while now it's more like
      French or Spanish, in that there are videos and commercials and
      television and movies with sound..... We didn't have to learn words
      pertaining to computers or cable or cell phones.

      I guess I'm looking for a good 21st century Russian book for
      Americans or English as a Foreign Language book for Russians. Either
      would work. I'm asking here because a) we have a lot of Russian
      speakers whose English is good, and b) there are other people on this
      list in the same boat who could benefit from your recommendations.

      Many thanks!

      In Christ,
      Matushka Ann Lardas