Red candles

  • Mitin, Stiva
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2007

      > Christ is Risen!
      >
      > Can someone tell me what is with those horrible "blood-red" candles at
      > Boris Yeltsin's funeral?? They looked like candles from some Halloween
      > horror movie. The Orthodox Church canons require *natural* "beeswax"
      > candles, that range from a "greenish-brown" to a "honey-yellow"
      > color, RED!!!???
      >
      > (Is this another innovation of the Russian Church, like using *blue* for
      > the Theotokos? Blue for the Theotokos is a ROMAN CATHOLIC tradition.
      > IF the Theotokos has a color in the Orthodox Church, which she really
      > doesn't, only in Russia, it would be RED! Look at every TRADITIONAL
      > icon of her, she is always dressed in red.)
      >
      > Thanks for answering my questions. (The Russians are always accusing
      > the Greeks of innovation, this is evidence of their many innovations.)

      Once upon a time, when the candleworks were located at Synod, they used to
      manufacture red candles for Holy Pascha. This tradition is still continued
      in the Holy Land; all the ROCOR churches sell red candles for the 40 days of
      Pascha. And as I mentioned in a previous post, I do know of and OC Greek
      parish which drapes red ribbons from the front to the back of the church
      during the 40days as well.

      What color vestments are worn for feasts of the Theotokos in the Greek
      Church? Red is reserved for Martyrs' feasts and the Nativity fast, so I
      suppose that is why red is not used for the Theotokos.

      Speaking of seepage of RC traditions, you may then know that wearing balck
      at funerals and for 40 days (forever if it is a Greek or Serbian widow!)
      also comes from the West and is not part of Orthodox tradition.

    • Stephen/Στέφανος
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2007
        Christ is Risen!

        In general there really are no liturgical colors in Greek tradition,
        with the exception of: gold, white and red for Pascha, red for feasts
        of the Precious Cross, dark purple for Great Lent (I have never seen
        "black" vestments in Greek use) and I can't remember, but perhaps Green
        for Pentecost. But at most feasts in Greek use, the clergy will be in
        all colors of vestments.
        I know of no specific color designated for the Theomētoric feasts in
        Greek use, no specific color for Advent/Christmas Fast.

        How do the make the candles red?? I must not be natural, must be some
        artificial chemical dye!??

        Stephanos

        P.S. These questions are not "beat-up on the Russians" questions. I
        wish to learn the answers to these questions, and to make observations
        of Russian innovation, when they are always accusing the Greeks of
        innovation. (I must SADLY lament, that in most Greek churches today
        (in the diaspora, at least), they are using white "petroleum" candles,
        often bought from Roman Catholic or Protestant suppliers; rather than
        the proper "beeswax" candles we are supposed to use, made by ORTHODOX
        monks and nuns!)