Re: Met. Vitaly did not ordain this Tikhon of Omsk.

  • Reader Timothy Tadros
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2007
      What happened to Benjamin did he form his own synodia in Russia?
      Rdr Timothy Tadros

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, matanna@... wrote:

      > Christ is risen!
      > The person posting as Mike Nikitin quoted someone as saying:
      >
      > >We must note that Bishop Tichon was made a bishop by the late
      > Met. Vitaly. So he is still part of the ROCA church. <
      >
      > This is a lie.
      >
      > Here's the real story.
      >
      > _http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/synod/eng2007/4entikhon.html_
      > (http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/synod/eng2007/4entikhon.html)
      >

      > NEW YORK: April 26, 2007
      > On the So-called “RT-OC”
      > Having left the episcopacy of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside
      of Russia
      > and joining the schismatic “Russian Orthodox Church in Exile”
      (ROCiE),
      > Archbishop Lazar (Zhurbenko) and Bishop Veniamin (Rusalenko)
      arbitrarily formed
      > their own jurisdiction, the “True Russian Orthodox Church”
      (TROC). Living in
      > Russia, far from the retired Metropolitan Vitaly, whom they
      recognized as
      > their primate, Archbishop Lazar and Bishop Veniamin decided to
      consecrate a few
      > new “bishops” for themselves. One of these was Tikhon, in the
      world, Leonid
      > Olimpovich Pasechnik (born in 1948, he finished the Kharkov
      school of
      > engineering). Pasechnik worked in construction, was married in
      1985, and became a
      > widower in 1993. In that same year he joined the Omsk parish of
      ROCA and in
      > 1998 he was tonsured a monk. In 1999, Bishop Evtikhy of Ishim and
      Siberia
      > ordained him a priest, but because of his lack of education,
      decided not to assign
      > him to his own parish. The following year Fr Tikhon left the
      Russian Church
      > Abroad and joined Archbishop Lazarâ€"in schism.
      > Although Bishop Veniamin asked Metropolitan Vitaly for a blessing
      for the
      > proposed consecrations in 2002, Metropolitan Vitaly indicated
      that in order to
      > choose a new candidate for the episcopacy, the agreement of the
      entire
      > Council of Bishops was necessary. Nevertheless, the
      “consecrations” took place.
      > Metropolitan Vitaly refused to accept their legitimacy two times.
      The first
      > time (28 July 2003), Metropolitan Vitaly wrote that the actions
      of Lazar and
      > Benjamin placed them outside the Russian Orthodox Church, and in
      his second
      > letter (19 November 2004), the Metropolitan declared: “I
      consider the
      > consecrations of Hieromonks Dionisy, Germogen, Tikhon, and
      Iriney, performed by
      > Archbishop Lazar and Bishop Veniamin, to be illicit, and I
      declare that I have no
      > prayerful or liturgical communion with them.”
      > Thus, neither the Synod of ROCOR under Metropolitan Laurus nor
      the “Synod”
      > of Metropolitan Vitaly recognized the self-proclaimed assertion
      of Tikhon
      > Pasechnik that he is a canonical bishop of the Holy Church,
      especially that he
      > is a supposed heir to the Catacomb Church in Russia. That means,
      logically,
      > that the organization headed by Pasechnik and which he calls the
      “Russian
      > True-Orthodox Church” has no basis to consider itself to be the
      Church, since it
      > has neither historical succession nor a legitimate or canonical
      foundation,
      > which means that it does not have the grace to be the Church.
      > In conclusion, it is important to emphasize two principles which
      guide the
      > Church since the time of Holy Pentecost. First, there is the
      understanding of
      > subordination. The fullness of grace in the Church abides in the
      hierarchs
      > who form an unbroken chain of Apostolic succession, and receiving
      the Grace of
      > the Holy Spirit, they pass it on from one generation of hierarchs
      to another.
      > The essence of the episcopacy is collegiality, where each
      hierarch serves in
      > accordance with the other hierarchs, and does nothing which might
      disturb
      > the harmony of the Church. In the Russian Church we call this
      sobornost' . In
      > this collegial system every hierarch has his rights and
      obligations, and he is
      > likewise responsible to all the other hierarchs so that his
      actions do not
      > violate the oneness of mind of the Church and create a schism.
      > This means that every hierarch governs his diocese in accordance
      with the
      > accepted canons, but he is responsible before his fellow
      hierarchs, who
      > themselves comprise a Synod or a Council of the region or
      jurisdiction to which it
      > belongs. At his consecration, every hierarch vows to preserve the
      Unity of the
      > Church. Departure from ones lawful superior to whom one is bound
      by an oath
      > of loyalty, without a canonical release, is considered a
      violation of the
      > canons, which are the laws of the Church, and therefore,
      uncanonical. The
      > punishment for such a violation of (Church) discipline is the
      suspension from
      > serving, awaiting full repentance for the sin; but if the bishop
      ignores the
      > suspension and continues his uncanonical actions, he is subject
      to a trial by his
      > peers, and can be deprived of his hierarchal rank. Such rules
      exist also for
      > priests and deacons who unlawfully leave the jurisdiction of
      their hierarch,
      > with whom they are spiritually bound through their priestly oath
      of loyalty.
      > They are likewise subject to suspension from serving, and in the
      case of
      > non-compliance, with defrocking. The principle of Church
      subordination pertains
      > to all clergymen. Neither a patriarch, nor a bishop, nor a
      priest, nor a
      > deacon, nor a layman can be above the Unity of the Holy Church.
      > Second, there is the understanding of schism. Schism stands in
      opposition to
      > the collegial governing of the Church, and in the words of the
      Holy Fathers,
      > it is a “rending of Christ's garment.” St. John Chrysostom
      strictly warns
      > that the sin of schism is not washed away even with the blood of
      martyrdom.
      > Therefore, any schism in the Church is uncanonical. Schism cannot
      be justified
      > either with personal opinion or self-justification.
      > Those who have gone over to the “Suzdalites,” or the
      “Lazarites,” or the “
      > Mansonvillites,” or to the “Russian True-Orthodox Church,”
      the contemporary
      > false-“Tikhonites”â€"they have all fallen away from the
      canonical Russian
      > Church. They have done this by neglecting their vows of loyalty,
      given by them at
      > their ordination, thereby rending the Garment of Christ. Their
      sin is made
      > worse by the fact that they have led some from the flock of
      Christ into the
      > schism. It is worthy of pity that many laymen, being innocent
      souls, have
      > trusted unworthy men, and have ended up outside the walls of the
      saving Grace of
      > the Holy Church, until the time of repentance and turning back.
      > The evil enemy of mankind sows dissension and division in the
      Church in
      > order to catch souls. In times of temptations a pure mind and a
      strong heart are
      > needed in order to defend the Unity of the Church. If this or
      that event
      > leads a person away from obedience to his hierarch in search of
      new, sometimes
      > exotic alternatives, this will always be uncanonical and illegal.
      If the
      > actions of a man lead him outside the boundaries of the Church,
      that person is
      > already outside the Church, and there is no other alternative.
      There is no list
      > of Churches, for him to choose which one he likes. There is only
      One, Holy,
      > Catholic and Apostolic Church, guided by the Holy Spirit.

    • boulia_1
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2007
        <nikitinmike@...> wrote:

        > Dear List,
        >
        > Some say it is a lie that B.Tikhon was made bishop by
        > Metr.Vitaly, but the line of succession of consecrations for all
        > the bishops in Bishop Lazar's jurisdiction and Bishop Tikhon all
        > stem from ROCOR's Metr.Vitaly.

        And therein lies the problem and the flaw in your reasoning.
        Apostolic succession comes from SOBORNOST -- not from one bishop to
        another (this is not ecclesiastical primogeniture!) but from the
        sobor of bishops. Consecrations cannot be made willy-nilly on a whim
        of a sole bishop.

        Promulgating arguments to the contrary plays to the wishful thinking
        of those who are trying to justify schism because they are afraid of
        change.

        CHRIST IS RISEN!

        --Elizabeth A. Ledkovsky
      • Victor
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2007
          Sorry to disagree, Father Archimandrite Kiprian NEVER said a word in
          English, French maybe, but not English! How you can quote him is
          astonishing!
          DVL

          <nikitinmike@...> wrote:

          > Dear List,
          >
          > Some say it is a lie that B.Tikhon was made bishop by
          > Metr.Vitaly, but the line of succession of consecrations for all
          > the bishops in Bishop Lazar's jurisdiction and Bishop Tikhon all
          > stem from ROCOR's Metr.Vitaly.
          >
          > The line of succession of consecration for Patr. AlexeyII and the
          > bishops of MP all stem from Metr. Sergiy , Pimen, etc...which our
          > Synod Resolution of 1971 stated was invalid.
          >
          > Given the choices, Bishop Tikhon is a much better choice and one
          > that our new Russian Martyrs would have no doubt taken.
          >
          > Michael N
          >
          > P.S. Fr. Kiprian, from Jordanville taught us, summer boys, not to
          > say "he lied", but instead to say "he is not telling the truth".
          > The former ,he said, is truck drivers language and he was no
          > English teacher.
          >

          > --- matanna@... wrote:
          >
          > > Christ is risen!
          > > The person posting as Mike Nikitin quoted someone as saying:
          > >
          > > >We must note that Bishop Tichon was made a bishop by the late
          > > Met. Vitaly. So he is still part of the ROCA church. <
          > >
          > > This is a lie.

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Fr. Gregory Williams
          Message 4 of 8 , May 2, 2007
            Sorry ‹ Fr. Kiprian most decidedly said quite a number of words in English
            to me and my family.

            In Christ Jesus,
            Fr. Gregory Williams

            The Saint John of Kronstadt Press
            The Haitian Orthodox Mission
            The Orthodox Church of the Annunciation/Agape Community
            1180 Orthodox Way
            Liberty, TN 37095-4366 USA

            Catalog of books & recordings: www.sjkp.org
            Information on the Haitian Mission: www.orthodoxhaiti.org