Met. Vitaly did not ordain this Tikhon of Omsk.

  • matanna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30, 2007
      Christ is risen!
      The person posting as Mike Nikitin quoted someone as saying:

      >We must note that Bishop Tichon was made a bishop by the late
      Met. Vitaly. So he is still part of the ROCA church. <

      This is a lie.

      Here's the real story.

      _http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/synod/eng2007/4entikhon.html_
      (http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/synod/eng2007/4entikhon.html)

      NEW YORK: April 26, 2007
      On the So-called “RT-OC”
      Having left the episcopacy of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia
      and joining the schismatic “Russian Orthodox Church in Exile” (ROCiE),
      Archbishop Lazar (Zhurbenko) and Bishop Veniamin (Rusalenko) arbitrarily formed
      their own jurisdiction, the “True Russian Orthodox Church” (TROC). Living in
      Russia, far from the retired Metropolitan Vitaly, whom they recognized as
      their primate, Archbishop Lazar and Bishop Veniamin decided to consecrate a few
      new “bishops” for themselves. One of these was Tikhon, in the world, Leonid
      Olimpovich Pasechnik (born in 1948, he finished the Kharkov school of
      engineering). Pasechnik worked in construction, was married in 1985, and became a
      widower in 1993. In that same year he joined the Omsk parish of ROCA and in
      1998 he was tonsured a monk. In 1999, Bishop Evtikhy of Ishim and Siberia
      ordained him a priest, but because of his lack of education, decided not to assign
      him to his own parish. The following year Fr Tikhon left the Russian Church
      Abroad and joined Archbishop Lazar—in schism.
      Although Bishop Veniamin asked Metropolitan Vitaly for a blessing for the
      proposed consecrations in 2002, Metropolitan Vitaly indicated that in order to
      choose a new candidate for the episcopacy, the agreement of the entire
      Council of Bishops was necessary. Nevertheless, the “consecrations” took place.
      Metropolitan Vitaly refused to accept their legitimacy two times. The first
      time (28 July 2003), Metropolitan Vitaly wrote that the actions of Lazar and
      Benjamin placed them outside the Russian Orthodox Church, and in his second
      letter (19 November 2004), the Metropolitan declared: “I consider the
      consecrations of Hieromonks Dionisy, Germogen, Tikhon, and Iriney, performed by
      Archbishop Lazar and Bishop Veniamin, to be illicit, and I declare that I have no
      prayerful or liturgical communion with them.”
      Thus, neither the Synod of ROCOR under Metropolitan Laurus nor the “Synod”
      of Metropolitan Vitaly recognized the self-proclaimed assertion of Tikhon
      Pasechnik that he is a canonical bishop of the Holy Church, especially that he
      is a supposed heir to the Catacomb Church in Russia. That means, logically,
      that the organization headed by Pasechnik and which he calls the “Russian
      True-Orthodox Church” has no basis to consider itself to be the Church, since it
      has neither historical succession nor a legitimate or canonical foundation,
      which means that it does not have the grace to be the Church.
      In conclusion, it is important to emphasize two principles which guide the
      Church since the time of Holy Pentecost. First, there is the understanding of
      subordination. The fullness of grace in the Church abides in the hierarchs
      who form an unbroken chain of Apostolic succession, and receiving the Grace of
      the Holy Spirit, they pass it on from one generation of hierarchs to another.
      The essence of the episcopacy is collegiality, where each hierarch serves in
      accordance with the other hierarchs, and does nothing which might disturb
      the harmony of the Church. In the Russian Church we call this sobornost' . In
      this collegial system every hierarch has his rights and obligations, and he is
      likewise responsible to all the other hierarchs so that his actions do not
      violate the oneness of mind of the Church and create a schism.
      This means that every hierarch governs his diocese in accordance with the
      accepted canons, but he is responsible before his fellow hierarchs, who
      themselves comprise a Synod or a Council of the region or jurisdiction to which it
      belongs. At his consecration, every hierarch vows to preserve the Unity of the
      Church. Departure from ones lawful superior to whom one is bound by an oath
      of loyalty, without a canonical release, is considered a violation of the
      canons, which are the laws of the Church, and therefore, uncanonical. The
      punishment for such a violation of (Church) discipline is the suspension from
      serving, awaiting full repentance for the sin; but if the bishop ignores the
      suspension and continues his uncanonical actions, he is subject to a trial by his
      peers, and can be deprived of his hierarchal rank. Such rules exist also for
      priests and deacons who unlawfully leave the jurisdiction of their hierarch,
      with whom they are spiritually bound through their priestly oath of loyalty.
      They are likewise subject to suspension from serving, and in the case of
      non-compliance, with defrocking. The principle of Church subordination pertains
      to all clergymen. Neither a patriarch, nor a bishop, nor a priest, nor a
      deacon, nor a layman can be above the Unity of the Holy Church.
      Second, there is the understanding of schism. Schism stands in opposition to
      the collegial governing of the Church, and in the words of the Holy Fathers,
      it is a “rending of Christ's garment.” St. John Chrysostom strictly warns
      that the sin of schism is not washed away even with the blood of martyrdom.
      Therefore, any schism in the Church is uncanonical. Schism cannot be justified
      either with personal opinion or self-justification.
      Those who have gone over to the “Suzdalites,” or the “Lazarites,” or the “
      Mansonvillites,” or to the “Russian True-Orthodox Church,” the contemporary
      false-“Tikhonites”—they have all fallen away from the canonical Russian
      Church. They have done this by neglecting their vows of loyalty, given by them at
      their ordination, thereby rending the Garment of Christ. Their sin is made
      worse by the fact that they have led some from the flock of Christ into the
      schism. It is worthy of pity that many laymen, being innocent souls, have
      trusted unworthy men, and have ended up outside the walls of the saving Grace of
      the Holy Church, until the time of repentance and turning back.
      The evil enemy of mankind sows dissension and division in the Church in
      order to catch souls. In times of temptations a pure mind and a strong heart are
      needed in order to defend the Unity of the Church. If this or that event
      leads a person away from obedience to his hierarch in search of new, sometimes
      exotic alternatives, this will always be uncanonical and illegal. If the
      actions of a man lead him outside the boundaries of the Church, that person is
      already outside the Church, and there is no other alternative. There is no list
      of Churches, for him to choose which one he likes. There is only One, Holy,
      Catholic and Apostolic Church, guided by the Holy Spirit.

    • michael nikitin
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2007
        Dear List,

        Some say it is a lie that B.Tikhon was made bishop by
        Metr.Vitaly, but the line of succession of consecrations for all
        the bishops in Bishop Lazar's jurisdiction and Bishop Tikhon all
        stem from ROCOR's Metr.Vitaly.

        The line of succession of consecration for Patr. AlexeyII and the
        bishops of MP all stem from Metr. Sergiy , Pimen, etc...which our
        Synod Resolution of 1971 stated was invalid.

        Given the choices, Bishop Tikhon is a much better choice and one
        that our new Russian Martyrs would have no doubt taken.

        Michael N

        P.S. Fr. Kiprian, from Jordanville taught us, summer boys, not to
        say "he lied", but instead to say "he is not telling the truth".
        The former ,he said, is truck drivers language and he was no
        English teacher.

        --- matanna@... wrote:

        > Christ is risen!
        > The person posting as Mike Nikitin quoted someone as saying:
        >
        > >We must note that Bishop Tichon was made a bishop by the late
        > Met. Vitaly. So he is still part of the ROCA church. <
        >
        > This is a lie.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • maestro_vg
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2007
          Even met. Vitaly did not recognize the "consecration" of "archbishop"
          Tikhon.

          <nikitinmike@...> wrote:

          > Dear List,
          >
          > Some say it is a lie that B.Tikhon was made bishop by
          > Metr.Vitaly, but the line of succession of consecrations for all
          > the bishops in Bishop Lazar's jurisdiction and Bishop Tikhon all
          > stem from ROCOR's Metr.Vitaly.
          >
          > The line of succession of consecration for Patr. AlexeyII and the
          > bishops of MP all stem from Metr. Sergiy , Pimen, etc...which our
          > Synod Resolution of 1971 stated was invalid.
          >
          > Given the choices, Bishop Tikhon is a much better choice and one
          > that our new Russian Martyrs would have no doubt taken.
          >
          > Michael N
          >
          > P.S. Fr. Kiprian, from Jordanville taught us, summer boys, not to
          > say "he lied", but instead to say "he is not telling the truth".
          > The former ,he said, is truck drivers language and he was no
          > English teacher.
          >

          > --- matanna@... wrote:
          >
          > > Christ is risen!
          > > The person posting as Mike Nikitin quoted someone as saying:
          > >
          > > >We must note that Bishop Tichon was made a bishop by the late
          > > Met. Vitaly. So he is still part of the ROCA church. <
          > >
          > > This is a lie.

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Fr. Mark Mancuso
          Message 4 of 8 , May 1, 2007
            --- michael nikitin <nikitinmike@...> wrote:

            > The line of succession of consecration for Patr.
            > AlexeyII and the
            > bishops of MP all stem from Metr. Sergiy , Pimen,
            > etc...which our
            > Synod Resolution of 1971 stated was invalid.

            Christ is risen!

            Ok. Michael is not telling the truth. What was in
            question was the recognition of the elections of these
            bishops as patriarchs; i.e. whether or not they would
            have ecclesial control over the ROCOR. What was not in
            question was their "succession of consecration". In
            other words, what was not disputed was whether or not
            these men were Orthodox bishops! This point has been
            made hundreds of times on these lists, has it not?

            Fr Mark

            Rev. Fr. Mark T. Mancuso
            St. Elizabeth the New-Martyr Orthodox Church
            Russian Orthodox Church Abroad
            Columbia, South Carolina
            http://www.stelizabeth.net
            *This email is meant only for private correspondence.
            Reproduction or forwarding without the sender's permission is prohibited.*

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Reader Timothy Tadros
            Message 5 of 8 , May 1, 2007
              What happened to Benjamin did he form his own synodia in Russia?
              Rdr Timothy Tadros

              --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, matanna@... wrote:

> [...]
              > The evil enemy of mankind sows dissension and division in the
              Church in
              > order to catch souls. In times of temptations a pure mind and a
              strong heart are
              > needed in order to defend the Unity of the Church. If this or
              that event
              > leads a person away from obedience to his hierarch in search of
              new, sometimes
              > exotic alternatives, this will always be uncanonical and illegal.
              If the
              > actions of a man lead him outside the boundaries of the Church,
              that person is
              > already outside the Church, and there is no other alternative.
              There is no list
              > of Churches, for him to choose which one he likes. There is only
              One, Holy,
              > Catholic and Apostolic Church, guided by the Holy Spirit.

            • boulia_1
              Message 6 of 8 , May 1, 2007
                <nikitinmike@...> wrote:

                > Dear List,
                >
                > Some say it is a lie that B.Tikhon was made bishop by
                > Metr.Vitaly, but the line of succession of consecrations for all
                > the bishops in Bishop Lazar's jurisdiction and Bishop Tikhon all
                > stem from ROCOR's Metr.Vitaly.

                And therein lies the problem and the flaw in your reasoning.
                Apostolic succession comes from SOBORNOST -- not from one bishop to
                another (this is not ecclesiastical primogeniture!) but from the
                sobor of bishops. Consecrations cannot be made willy-nilly on a whim
                of a sole bishop.

                Promulgating arguments to the contrary plays to the wishful thinking
                of those who are trying to justify schism because they are afraid of
                change.

                CHRIST IS RISEN!

                --Elizabeth A. Ledkovsky
              • Victor
                Message 7 of 8 , May 2, 2007
                  Sorry to disagree, Father Archimandrite Kiprian NEVER said a word in
                  English, French maybe, but not English! How you can quote him is
                  astonishing!
                  DVL

                  <nikitinmike@...> wrote:

                  > Dear List,
                  >
                  > Some say it is a lie that B.Tikhon was made bishop by
                  > Metr.Vitaly, but the line of succession of consecrations for all
                  > the bishops in Bishop Lazar's jurisdiction and Bishop Tikhon all
                  > stem from ROCOR's Metr.Vitaly.
                  >
                  > The line of succession of consecration for Patr. AlexeyII and the
                  > bishops of MP all stem from Metr. Sergiy , Pimen, etc...which our
                  > Synod Resolution of 1971 stated was invalid.
                  >
                  > Given the choices, Bishop Tikhon is a much better choice and one
                  > that our new Russian Martyrs would have no doubt taken.
                  >
                  > Michael N
                  >
                  > P.S. Fr. Kiprian, from Jordanville taught us, summer boys, not to
                  > say "he lied", but instead to say "he is not telling the truth".
                  > The former ,he said, is truck drivers language and he was no
                  > English teacher.
                  >

                  > --- matanna@... wrote:
                  >
                  > > Christ is risen!
                  > > The person posting as Mike Nikitin quoted someone as saying:
                  > >
                  > > >We must note that Bishop Tichon was made a bishop by the late
                  > > Met. Vitaly. So he is still part of the ROCA church. <
                  > >
                  > > This is a lie.

                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                • Fr. Gregory Williams
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 2, 2007
                    Sorry ‹ Fr. Kiprian most decidedly said quite a number of words in English
                    to me and my family.

                    In Christ Jesus,
                    Fr. Gregory Williams

                    The Saint John of Kronstadt Press
                    The Haitian Orthodox Mission
                    The Orthodox Church of the Annunciation/Agape Community
                    1180 Orthodox Way
                    Liberty, TN 37095-4366 USA

                    Catalog of books & recordings: www.sjkp.org
                    Information on the Haitian Mission: www.orthodoxhaiti.org