Re: [orthodox-synod] Kulich Was: Re: Recipe: Pascha Cheese (Syrnaya Pascha)

  • Stephen/Στέφανος
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2007
      Here is my recipe for Greek "Lambrópsomo/Tsouréki" for Pascha: (I will
      look for my Kulich recipe, from Jordanville I think, and post it later
      today.)

      Lambrópsomo (Tsouréki)
      Greek Pascha Bread

      1/2 cup Milk, scalded
      2 sticks Melted Butter, cooled to lukewarm
      2 pkgs. Yeast
      1/2 cup warm Water
      4 large Eggs, room temperature
      1 cup Sugar, 1 tsp. Salt
      1½ tbl. Anise, ground fresh in mortar
      7 cups Bread Flour
      2 9" spring-form cake pans
      1 Egg, beaten for glaze; Sesame Seeds
      8 Red Boiled Eggs

      Scald milk, melt butter and cool both to lukewarm. Blend yeast, warm
      water and 1 tbl. of the sugar in a 2 c. measuring cup, set aside to
      rise. In mixer bowl, add flour, salt, sugar, and anise. Mix lightly.
      Form a well, and add yeast, milk, butter and eggs. Knead for 15
      minutes. (Milk and butter too hot will kill yeast. Yeast won’t like
      cold eggs.) Place in lightly oiled bowl and let rise for 1-2 hours.
      Punch down, knead lightly and shape dough.* Place in greased pans.
      Brush w/beaten egg, sprinkle w/sesame seeds. Bake at 350º; for 30
      minutes. Cool, place 4 red eggs in each loaf. * NOTE ON SHAPING:
      When shaping dough, take entire dough, divide in half. Break off 4
      medium and 1 small “egg-sized” pieces. Place large portion of dough in
      9-10" spring-form pan. Roll the four pieces into ropes, form 4 large
      “tear-drop” shaped loops, with points meeting in the center, forming a
      cross. Take 5th piece and form into a ball and place in center. When
      bread is baked and cooled (not cold), place (push) a red egg into each
      loop.

      Notes:
      1. When dissolving yeast in warm water, stick your finger in the water,
      it should feel like a warm bath. If you can't keep your finger in there
      for a count of 12, it is too hot and will kill the yeast.

      2. You can see photos of Tsoureki (Lambrópsomo) in the Photos section.

      3. Lambrópsomo (λαμπρόψωμο) means: Bright/Shinning Bread, from
      Lambrí (η Λαμπρή), another word for Pascha/Easter.