Re: Red Pascha Eggs: How to make . . .

  • Rebecca M
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2007
      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Stephen/Στέφανος
      <sbuatl@...> wrote:

      > Sacred Tradition also tells us that St. Mary Magdalene went to
      > Rome and presented the emperor with a red egg, proclaiming: Christ is
      > Risen! Since then, even though other colors of eggs are used
      outside of
      > church, red ones are always the symbol of Pascha and given to the
      > faithful at the end of the Resurrection services.

      The variation on that story I heard as a child was that she went
      before the emperor offering a regular egg (that was the poor person's
      tribute, others might bring a chicken or other offering) and
      saying "Christ is Risen!" To which he responded, "I can as much
      believe that as that the egg you hold would turn red." And it did.

      Rebecca