Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Tvorog

  • Valeria Sajez
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
      Dear George,

      Friendship farmer's cheese is ok. Just be sure
      to drain it for at least 24hrs in your frig under
      some weight. You'll be surprised how wet it is.
      It should be of a dry consistancy before you
      start making your Sirnaja Pascha. I then put it
      through a sieve 2 or 3 times the way my mom
      always did. It has a nice smooth grain.

      Valeria

    • Stephen/Στέφανος
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
        I use Friendship Farmer's Cheese every year, and it makes great Syrnaya
        Pascha!

        Stephanos

        George wrote:

        > I'm confused.
        >
        > what advantage would the food processor play? (we have one though we
        > rarely use it...)
        >
        > last year my wife tried to make Sirnaya Pascha but we couldn't find
        > farmers cheese so we substituted cottage cheese which was hilareously
        > bad. (very wet, wrong taste etc).
        >
        > i did manage to pick up some Freindship brand farmers cheese today but
        > i'm not sure if that's exactly right either...
        >
        > George
        >
        > On Monday, April 02, 2007, at 02:58PM, "Vassa Meister"
        > <vtheb@... <mailto:vtheb%40hotmail.com>> wrote:
        > >For what it's worth I use a food processor to make the Sirnaya
        > >Pascha. It sure saves time and effort!
        > >
        > >In Christ,
        > >Vassa
        > >
        > >--- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:orthodox-synod%40yahoogroups.com>, "boulia_1" <eledkovsky@...>
        > >wrote:
        > >>
        > >> In the States, I use Friendship brand farmer's cheese for tvorog...
        > >> you have to hunt around, as not all grocery stores carry it (but
        > >A&P
        > >> has it at a sale price through next week!) Also, you have to press
        > >> it through a fine sieve at least twice to get a good consistency,
        > >but
        > >> the Sirnaya Pascha that results is really worth the effort!
        > >>
        > >> --Elizabeth Ledkovsky
        > >>

        > >> --- In orthodox-
        > >> synod@yahoogroups.com <mailto:synod%40yahoogroups.com>,

        > >Russians
        > >> or Poles
        > >> tvorog. If you

        > >States?

      • Rebecca M
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 3, 2007
          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "John" <JDikov@...> wrote:

          > I have always used the Friendship brand available at Stop and Shop
          > and it make a great pascha. You do have to force it through a sieve
          > so be ready to sweat a while but it is well worth the effort.

          It's a funny thing, but the original recipe I had said to do the sieve
          thing, and I did it for several years (ouch!). But one year I was
          really crunched for time and skipped that step, just breaking it up
          finely and (not for the faint of heart) squishing the final mixture
          through my fingers so it was completely mixed. The difference in
          texture of the result really wasn't great -- and so I started doing it
          without the sieve and have made tons of it that way without any
          issues. In fact, for a while at my old parish, the production of this
          recipe (without sieve) became a huge thing because everyone and their
          second cousin wanted some.

          Rebecca
        • Ekaterina Andreev
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007
            I have a really good and easy recipe for the cheese pascha using farmers cheese, please let me know if you want it.
            Katya

            On Monday, April 02, 2007, at 02:58PM, "Vassa Meister" <vtheb@...> wrote:
            >For what it's worth I use a food processor to make the Sirnaya
            >Pascha. It sure saves time and effort!
            >
            >In Christ,
            >Vassa
            >
            >--- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "boulia_1" <eledkovsky@...>
            >wrote:
            >>
            >> In the States, I use Friendship brand farmer's cheese for tvorog...
            >> you have to hunt around, as not all grocery stores carry it (but
            >A&P
            >> has it at a sale price through next week!) Also, you have to press
            >> it through a fine sieve at least twice to get a good consistency,
            >but
            >> the Sirnaya Pascha that results is really worth the effort!
            >>
            >> --Elizabeth Ledkovsky
            >>

            >> --- In orthodox-
            >> synod@yahoogroups.com, "Hristofor/ХристофорЪ"
            >> <hristofor01@> wrote:
            >> >
            >> > JUst about any Eastern-European store where there are some
            >Russians
            >> or Poles
            >> > living. The Lifeway Co, which makes kefir, sells krestianski
            >> tvorog. If you
            >> > can't find that, farmer's cheese will also work.

            >States?

          • Ekaterina Andreev
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007

              George <kharaku@...> wrote:
              I'm confused.

              what advantage would the food processor play? (we have one though we rarely use it...)

              last year my wife tried to make Sirnaya Pascha but we couldn't find farmers cheese so we substituted cottage cheese which was hilareously bad. (very wet, wrong taste etc).

              i did manage to pick up some Freindship brand farmers cheese today but i'm not sure if that's exactly right either...

              George

              On Monday, April 02, 2007, at 02:58PM, "Vassa Meister" <vtheb@...> wrote:
              >For what it's worth I use a food processor to make the Sirnaya
              >Pascha. It sure saves time and effort!
              >
              >In Christ,
              >Vassa
              >
              >--- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "boulia_1" <eledkovsky@...>
              >wrote:
              >>
              >> In the States, I use Friendship brand farmer's cheese for tvorog...
              >> you have to hunt around, as not all grocery stores carry it (but
              >A&P
              >> has it at a sale price through next week!) Also, you have to press
              >> it through a fine sieve at least twice to get a good consistency,
              >but
              >> the Sirnaya Pascha that results is really worth the effort!
              >>
              >> --Elizabeth Ledkovsky
              >>

              >> --- In orthodox-
              >> synod@yahoogroups.com, "Hristofor/ХристофорЪ"
              >> <hristofor01@> wrote:
              >> >
              >> > JUst about any Eastern-European store where there are some
              >Russians
              >> or Poles
              >> > living. The Lifeway Co, which makes kefir, sells krestianski
              >> tvorog. If you
              >> > can't find that, farmer's cheese will also work.

              >States?

            • Carol
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 7, 2007
                Christ Is Risen!

                Modern, QUICK, but good, recipe for TVOROG: When not able to do traditional.

                I know this is going to get to everyone after Pascha and hope it was glorious and blessed for all!
                My husband and I ( because of fact that I have chronic illness problems and in so much pain ,needed to find a fast way to make Pascha cheese) We live in a very small town area and not any Greek or Russian stores or places to buy Farmers Cheese, so we thought I should try something,different at such a late notice, and must say it was not bad at all!

                ( Whipped, Cream Cheese, Philadephia brand) Purchase as much as you feel you need, I bought 2 lbs.
                Pascha:
                Then add the pineapple, and /or dried fruits, and the milk and sugar, eggs etc, whatever you would like as per YOUR favorite recipe.

                We also were able to purchase Amish Butter ,from a cheese factory down the road from us. This might have helped some, in the wonderful taste, am not sure, but thought it was not bad, at all, for people who are too ill, or too short of time, to make their own Farmers Cheese. Often people may not able to purchase it! Great substitute! Delicious on the Kulich and/ or Babka bread.

                He Is Risen Indeed!

                In Christ's love,

                Katherine