Recipe: Pascha Cheese (Syrnaya Pascha)

  • Stephen/Στέφανος
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007
      JORDANVILLE RUSSIAN PASCHA CHEESE
      (Syrnaya Pascha)

      3 lbs. Farmers Cheese
      2½ sticks Unsalted Butter
      1 cup Heavy Cream
      5 raw Egg Yolks
      4 hard-boiled Egg Yolks
      3 cups Sugar
      1 16oz. can Pineapple Bits*
      1 tsp. Vanilla (or 1 Vanilla Bean)

      Drain cheese overnight in colander lined with cheesecloth. Drain
      Pineapple well. Sieve the 4 hard-boiled egg yolks. Cream butter and
      sugar together and then add sieved yolks and the 5 raw yolks. Add
      vanilla, cream and pineapple. Add farmers cheese and mix well. Line
      two 1qt. clay flower pots with double layer of cheesecloth, leaving
      enough over sides to cover top. Put cheese in and cover top. Place
      pots in a dish with a weight on top of each. Drain in fridge for 2-3
      days. Serve by unmolding and inverting onto plate. Decorate with «X B,
      X A, or C R», using red decorating gel; i.e. Russian, Greek or English
      for..... «Christ is Risen!»

      *Note:
      Adding the pineapple bits instead of raisins or candied fruit (which I
      don't like, I like raisins in other things) is my own innovation, but
      very good, and the Russians loved it!

      I am also trying one more innovation this year, (oh, cringe!), because
      of a need to avoid sugar (aggravated hypoglycemia) and for diabetic
      friends, I am going to use granulated Splenda®, the equal amount as
      sugar. It should be fine, as I make a sugar-free New York style cheese
      cake with Splenda®, that people love, and don't know it's sugar free,
      until you tell them! (FYI: Splenda® is a lot cheaper at Sam's, than in
      a regular grocery store.)

      Check out these pics:

      Kali Anastasi!

      Stephanos
    • Rebecca M
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3, 2007
        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Stephen/Στέφανος <sbuatl@...> wrote:

        > JORDANVILLE RUSSIAN PASCHA CHEESE
        > (Syrnaya Pascha)
        >
        > 3 lbs. Farmers Cheese
        > 2½ sticks Unsalted Butter
        > 1 cup Heavy Cream
        > 5 raw Egg Yolks
        > 4 hard-boiled Egg Yolks
        > 3 cups Sugar
        > 1 16oz. can Pineapple Bits*
        > 1 tsp. Vanilla (or 1 Vanilla Bean)
        >
        > Drain cheese overnight in colander lined with cheesecloth. Drain
        > Pineapple well. Sieve the 4 hard-boiled egg yolks. Cream butter and
        > sugar together and then add sieved yolks and the 5 raw yolks. Add
        > vanilla, cream and pineapple. Add farmers cheese and mix well. Line
        > two 1qt. clay flower pots with double layer of cheesecloth, leaving
        > enough over sides to cover top. Put cheese in and cover top. Place
        > pots in a dish with a weight on top of each. Drain in fridge for 2-3
        > days. Serve by unmolding and inverting onto plate. Decorate with «X B,
        > X A, or C R», using red decorating gel; i.e. Russian, Greek or English
        > for..... «Christ is Risen!»
        >
        > *Note:
        > Adding the pineapple bits instead of raisins or candied fruit (which I
        > don't like, I like raisins in other things) is my own innovation, but
        > very good, and the Russians loved it!
        >
        > I am also trying one more innovation this year, (oh, cringe!), because
        > of a need to avoid sugar (aggravated hypoglycemia) and for diabetic
        > friends, I am going to use granulated Splenda®, the equal amount as
        > sugar. It should be fine, as I make a sugar-free New York style cheese
        > cake with Splenda®, that people love, and don't know it's sugar free,
        > until you tell them! (FYI: Splenda® is a lot cheaper at Sam's, than in
        > a regular grocery store.)
        >
        > Check out these pics:
        >
        > Kali Anastasi!
        >
        > Stephanos

        That recipe is similar to the one I've been using for years (found in one of those spiral
        bound parish recipe books) -- and in stroke of convergent evolution, I also started adding
        pineapple very successfully -- but my recipe calls for less than a third the sugar of yours
        and I use candied pineapple.

        Almond extract and some crushed finely sliced almonds are also a nice addition -- but it
        does make for a slightly different texture, which may or may not be according to
        everyone's taste.

        Rebecca
      • James Baglien
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 3, 2007
          <sbuatl@...> wrote:

          > JORDANVILLE RUSSIAN PASCHA CHEESE
          > (Syrnaya Pascha)
          >
          > 3 lbs. Farmers Cheese
          > 2½ sticks Unsalted Butter
          > 1 cup Heavy Cream
          > 5 raw Egg Yolks
          > 4 hard-boiled Egg Yolks
          > 3 cups Sugar
          > 1 16oz. can Pineapple Bits*
          > 1 tsp. Vanilla (or 1 Vanilla Bean)

          Might you have Jordanville's recipe for Kulich, as well? I remember
          from a Bright Week visit there that it was very good.

          Priest James
        • Ekaterina Andreev
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 4, 2007
            There is a great recipe for Kulich over at Euphrosynos cafe....
            Katya

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 4, 2007
              Here is my recipe for Greek "Lambrópsomo/Tsouréki" for Pascha: (I will
              look for my Kulich recipe, from Jordanville I think, and post it later
              today.)

              Lambrópsomo (Tsouréki)
              Greek Pascha Bread

              1/2 cup Milk, scalded
              2 sticks Melted Butter, cooled to lukewarm
              2 pkgs. Yeast
              1/2 cup warm Water
              4 large Eggs, room temperature
              1 cup Sugar, 1 tsp. Salt
              1½ tbl. Anise, ground fresh in mortar
              7 cups Bread Flour
              2 9" spring-form cake pans
              1 Egg, beaten for glaze; Sesame Seeds
              8 Red Boiled Eggs

              Scald milk, melt butter and cool both to lukewarm. Blend yeast, warm
              water and 1 tbl. of the sugar in a 2 c. measuring cup, set aside to
              rise. In mixer bowl, add flour, salt, sugar, and anise. Mix lightly.
              Form a well, and add yeast, milk, butter and eggs. Knead for 15
              minutes. (Milk and butter too hot will kill yeast. Yeast won’t like
              cold eggs.) Place in lightly oiled bowl and let rise for 1-2 hours.
              Punch down, knead lightly and shape dough.* Place in greased pans.
              Brush w/beaten egg, sprinkle w/sesame seeds. Bake at 350º; for 30
              minutes. Cool, place 4 red eggs in each loaf. * NOTE ON SHAPING:
              When shaping dough, take entire dough, divide in half. Break off 4
              medium and 1 small “egg-sized” pieces. Place large portion of dough in
              9-10" spring-form pan. Roll the four pieces into ropes, form 4 large
              “tear-drop” shaped loops, with points meeting in the center, forming a
              cross. Take 5th piece and form into a ball and place in center. When
              bread is baked and cooled (not cold), place (push) a red egg into each
              loop.

              Notes:
              1. When dissolving yeast in warm water, stick your finger in the water,
              it should feel like a warm bath. If you can't keep your finger in there
              for a count of 12, it is too hot and will kill the yeast.

              2. You can see photos of Tsoureki (Lambrópsomo) in the Photos section.

              3. Lambrópsomo (λαμπρόψωμο) means: Bright/Shinning Bread, from
              Lambrí (η Λαμπρή), another word for Pascha/Easter.