Re: Tvorog

  • Vassa Meister
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
      The food processor blends everything together very well and makes the
      finished product very smooth and creamy. When you put it through a
      sieve you have to do it at least two or more times, the food
      processor just makes the process so much easier.

      Vassa

      -- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, George <kharaku@...> wrote:

      > I'm confused.
      >
      > what advantage would the food processor play? (we have one though
      we rarely use it...)

      > last year my wife tried to make Sirnaya Pascha but we couldn't find
      farmers cheese so we substituted cottage cheese which was hilareously
      bad. (very wet, wrong taste etc).

      > i did manage to pick up some Freindship brand farmers cheese today
      but i'm not sure if that's exactly right either...

      > George
      >

      > On Monday, April 02, 2007, at 02:58PM, "Vassa Meister" <vtheb@...>
      wrote:
      > >For what it's worth I use a food processor to make the Sirnaya
      > >Pascha. It sure saves time and effort!
      > >
      > >In Christ,
      > >Vassa
      > >
      > >--- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "boulia_1" <eledkovsky@>
      > >wrote:
      > >>
      > >> In the States, I use Friendship brand farmer's cheese for
      tvorog...
      > >> you have to hunt around, as not all grocery stores carry it (but
      > >A&P
      > >> has it at a sale price through next week!) Also, you have to
      press
      > >> it through a fine sieve at least twice to get a good
      consistency,
      > >but
      > >> the Sirnaya Pascha that results is really worth the effort!
      > >>
      > >> --Elizabeth Ledkovsky
      > >>

      > >> --- In orthodox-

      synod@yahoogroups.com, "Hristofor/Ð¥Ã`€Ð¸Ã`Ã`‚оÃ`„оÃ
      `€Ðª"

      > >Russians
      > >> or Poles
      > >> tvorog. If you

      > >States?

    • Valeria Sajez
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
        Dear George,

        Friendship farmer's cheese is ok. Just be sure
        to drain it for at least 24hrs in your frig under
        some weight. You'll be surprised how wet it is.
        It should be of a dry consistancy before you
        start making your Sirnaja Pascha. I then put it
        through a sieve 2 or 3 times the way my mom
        always did. It has a nice smooth grain.

        Valeria

      • Carol
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
          Recipe found for Tvorog:

          Have to admit, I am maybe not the best one to know the recipes for Russian foods at all, but found this one and thought it may be helpful for those mentioning the Tvorog: Someone perhaps would be interested.

          ( Homemade Farmers Cheese)

          1/2 Gal Whole Milk

          3 TBLSP of Sour Cream

          Place milk and cheese in container ( not plastic)Let stand uncovered, in warm place (use pilot light, ) Until the milk curdles. About 48 hrs...

          Line a fine Sieve with several layers of cheesecloth ,. Carefully place the curds , seperated from the whey ,into the sieve. Allow 2 hrs to drain over large bowl.

          Plsace large plate over the curds, and a weight, such as a water filled jar, on the plate. Place in refrigerator and let drip until curds dry up, about 8 hours.. ( Less time for creamier cheese, and more for FARMERS CHEESE)

          Do not know if helpful but I hope so.

          In Christ,

          Katherine

          synod@yahoogroups.com, "Hristofor/ХристофорЪ"
          <hristofor01@...> wrote:

          > JUst about any Eastern-European store where there are some Russians
          or Poles
          > living. The Lifeway Co, which makes kefir, sells krestianski
          tvorog. If you
          > can't find that, farmer's cheese will also work.
          >

          > On 4/2/07, George <kharaku@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Does anyone know where you can buy tvorog in the United States?
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > > George

        • Stephen/Στέφανος
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
            I use Friendship Farmer's Cheese every year, and it makes great Syrnaya
            Pascha!

            Stephanos

            George wrote:

            > I'm confused.
            >
            > what advantage would the food processor play? (we have one though we
            > rarely use it...)
            >
            > last year my wife tried to make Sirnaya Pascha but we couldn't find
            > farmers cheese so we substituted cottage cheese which was hilareously
            > bad. (very wet, wrong taste etc).
            >
            > i did manage to pick up some Freindship brand farmers cheese today but
            > i'm not sure if that's exactly right either...
            >
            > George
            >
            > On Monday, April 02, 2007, at 02:58PM, "Vassa Meister"
            > <vtheb@... <mailto:vtheb%40hotmail.com>> wrote:
            > >For what it's worth I use a food processor to make the Sirnaya
            > >Pascha. It sure saves time and effort!
            > >
            > >In Christ,
            > >Vassa
            > >
            > >--- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:orthodox-synod%40yahoogroups.com>, "boulia_1" <eledkovsky@...>
            > >wrote:
            > >>
            > >> In the States, I use Friendship brand farmer's cheese for tvorog...
            > >> you have to hunt around, as not all grocery stores carry it (but
            > >A&P
            > >> has it at a sale price through next week!) Also, you have to press
            > >> it through a fine sieve at least twice to get a good consistency,
            > >but
            > >> the Sirnaya Pascha that results is really worth the effort!
            > >>
            > >> --Elizabeth Ledkovsky
            > >>

            > >> --- In orthodox-
            > >> synod@yahoogroups.com <mailto:synod%40yahoogroups.com>,

            > >Russians
            > >> or Poles
            > >> tvorog. If you

            > >States?

          • (matushka) Ann Lardas
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 3, 2007
              --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" <weaver32@...> wrote:

              > Recipe found for Tvorog:
              >
              > Have to admit, I am maybe not the best one to know the recipes for
              Russian foods at all, but found this one and thought it may be
              helpful for those mentioning the Tvorog: Someone perhaps would be
              interested.

              > ( Homemade Farmers Cheese)
              >
              > 1/2 Gal Whole Milk
              >
              > 3 TBLSP of Sour Cream
              >
              > Place milk and cheese in container ( not plastic)Let stand
              uncovered, in warm place (use pilot light, ) Until the milk curdles.
              About 48 hrs...

              > Line a fine Sieve with several layers of cheesecloth ,. Carefully
              place the curds , seperated from the whey ,into the sieve. Allow 2
              hrs to drain over large bowl.

              > Plsace large plate over the curds, and a weight, such as a water
              filled jar, on the plate. Place in refrigerator and let drip until
              curds dry up, about 8 hours.. ( Less time for creamier cheese, and
              more for FARMERS CHEESE)

              > Do not know if helpful but I hope so.
              >
              > In Christ,
              >
              > Katherine

              In Houston, the ladies gave me a recipe for Farmer's Cheese which
              works most years. For some reason this recipe does not work in
              California, but in the archives of the Orthodox list you can find Fr.
              Alexey Chumakov's recipe for farmer's cheese using California milk.

              To make Farmer's Cheese outside of California, you scald one gallon
              of milk, remove it from the heat, and pour in one quart of buttermilk
              and cover it with cheese cloth or a towel and put it someplace out of
              drafts (mine goes behind the coffee maker). You leave it alone for a
              day and a night and a day and then put it in the oven on "warm" for
              an electric oven or just with the pilot on for a gas oven, overnight,
              and in the morning you have a chunk of curd floating in a sea of
              whey. When you drain the whey, the rest is the farmer's cheese. But
              use cloth (an old pillow case or tee shirt) rather than cheesecloth
              to strain it, as the weave on cheese cloth is too wide and the curds
              fall out.

              One gallon of milk plus one quart of buttermilk make approximately
              two and a half pounds of cheese.

              Locally, you can get Friendship Farmer's Cheese at Stop and Shop for
              prices ranging from $2.39 per pound (Seymore) to $4.09 per pound. In
              Texas they sold a Mexican brand of something they called Farmer's
              Cheese, but it was a harder cheese and made for a syrnaya pascha that
              tasted like salted erasers.

              Friends who've used ricotta or cottage cheese drain it in a sieve
              overnight and run it through the food processor or grind it through a
              sieve after.

              Wishing you a joyous upcoming Feast.

              In Christ,
              Matushka Ann Lardas
            • Rebecca M
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 3, 2007
                --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "John" <JDikov@...> wrote:

                > I have always used the Friendship brand available at Stop and Shop
                > and it make a great pascha. You do have to force it through a sieve
                > so be ready to sweat a while but it is well worth the effort.

                It's a funny thing, but the original recipe I had said to do the sieve
                thing, and I did it for several years (ouch!). But one year I was
                really crunched for time and skipped that step, just breaking it up
                finely and (not for the faint of heart) squishing the final mixture
                through my fingers so it was completely mixed. The difference in
                texture of the result really wasn't great -- and so I started doing it
                without the sieve and have made tons of it that way without any
                issues. In fact, for a while at my old parish, the production of this
                recipe (without sieve) became a huge thing because everyone and their
                second cousin wanted some.

                Rebecca
              • Ekaterina Andreev
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007
                  I have a really good and easy recipe for the cheese pascha using farmers cheese, please let me know if you want it.
                  Katya

                  George <kharaku@...> wrote:
                  I'm confused.

                  what advantage would the food processor play? (we have one though we rarely use it...)

                  last year my wife tried to make Sirnaya Pascha but we couldn't find farmers cheese so we substituted cottage cheese which was hilareously bad. (very wet, wrong taste etc).

                  i did manage to pick up some Freindship brand farmers cheese today but i'm not sure if that's exactly right either...

                  George

                  On Monday, April 02, 2007, at 02:58PM, "Vassa Meister" <vtheb@...> wrote:
                  >For what it's worth I use a food processor to make the Sirnaya
                  >Pascha. It sure saves time and effort!
                  >
                  >In Christ,
                  >Vassa
                  >
                  >--- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "boulia_1" <eledkovsky@...>
                  >wrote:
                  >>
                  >> In the States, I use Friendship brand farmer's cheese for tvorog...
                  >> you have to hunt around, as not all grocery stores carry it (but
                  >A&P
                  >> has it at a sale price through next week!) Also, you have to press
                  >> it through a fine sieve at least twice to get a good consistency,
                  >but
                  >> the Sirnaya Pascha that results is really worth the effort!
                  >>
                  >> --Elizabeth Ledkovsky
                  >>

                  >> --- In orthodox-
                  >> synod@yahoogroups.com, "Hristofor/ХристофорЪ"
                  >> <hristofor01@> wrote:
                  >> >
                  >> > JUst about any Eastern-European store where there are some
                  >Russians
                  >> or Poles
                  >> > living. The Lifeway Co, which makes kefir, sells krestianski
                  >> tvorog. If you
                  >> > can't find that, farmer's cheese will also work.

                  >States?

                • Ekaterina Andreev
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007

                    George <kharaku@...> wrote:
                    I'm confused.

                    what advantage would the food processor play? (we have one though we rarely use it...)

                    last year my wife tried to make Sirnaya Pascha but we couldn't find farmers cheese so we substituted cottage cheese which was hilareously bad. (very wet, wrong taste etc).

                    i did manage to pick up some Freindship brand farmers cheese today but i'm not sure if that's exactly right either...

                    George

                    On Monday, April 02, 2007, at 02:58PM, "Vassa Meister" <vtheb@...> wrote:
                    >For what it's worth I use a food processor to make the Sirnaya
                    >Pascha. It sure saves time and effort!
                    >
                    >In Christ,
                    >Vassa
                    >
                    >--- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "boulia_1" <eledkovsky@...>
                    >wrote:
                    >>
                    >> In the States, I use Friendship brand farmer's cheese for tvorog...
                    >> you have to hunt around, as not all grocery stores carry it (but
                    >A&P
                    >> has it at a sale price through next week!) Also, you have to press
                    >> it through a fine sieve at least twice to get a good consistency,
                    >but
                    >> the Sirnaya Pascha that results is really worth the effort!
                    >>
                    >> --Elizabeth Ledkovsky
                    >>

                    >> --- In orthodox-
                    >> synod@yahoogroups.com, "Hristofor/ХристофорЪ"
                    >> <hristofor01@> wrote:
                    >> >
                    >> > JUst about any Eastern-European store where there are some
                    >Russians
                    >> or Poles
                    >> > living. The Lifeway Co, which makes kefir, sells krestianski
                    >> tvorog. If you
                    >> > can't find that, farmer's cheese will also work.

                    >States?

                  • Carol
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 7, 2007
                      Christ Is Risen!

                      Modern, QUICK, but good, recipe for TVOROG: When not able to do traditional.

                      I know this is going to get to everyone after Pascha and hope it was glorious and blessed for all!
                      My husband and I ( because of fact that I have chronic illness problems and in so much pain ,needed to find a fast way to make Pascha cheese) We live in a very small town area and not any Greek or Russian stores or places to buy Farmers Cheese, so we thought I should try something,different at such a late notice, and must say it was not bad at all!

                      ( Whipped, Cream Cheese, Philadephia brand) Purchase as much as you feel you need, I bought 2 lbs.
                      Pascha:
                      Then add the pineapple, and /or dried fruits, and the milk and sugar, eggs etc, whatever you would like as per YOUR favorite recipe.

                      We also were able to purchase Amish Butter ,from a cheese factory down the road from us. This might have helped some, in the wonderful taste, am not sure, but thought it was not bad, at all, for people who are too ill, or too short of time, to make their own Farmers Cheese. Often people may not able to purchase it! Great substitute! Delicious on the Kulich and/ or Babka bread.

                      He Is Risen Indeed!

                      In Christ's love,

                      Katherine