Re: The sadness continues.. chaos caused by the dialogue committee .. with the MP

  • vlutchenkov
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 31, 2007
      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko"
      <StefanVPavlenko@...> wrote:

      > The OCA Americans did not have their government security clearance
      > jeopardized, and they were in union with Moscow when the Church
      was
      > under the control of the Soviet Union--- the "Evil Empire", now
      the
      > Church in Russia if free!
      > Archpriest Stefamn Pavlenko

      Father Bless,

      Okay. So, clearances were not an issue or a concern for ROCOR when
      OCA was granted Autocephaly. Then can you please tell us why you or
      any other ROCOR priest were not allowed by your hierarchs to
      concelebrate with the OCA priest in your city? What was the reason?

      Vova L.

      PS. I respectfully ask that no one else get on this thread for a
      while. Please allow it to run its course. Lurk, watch, stew,
      (remember its Lent though), take notes, etc., but let us have the
      opportunity to have an exchange one on one just for a bit. Thank
      you.
    • Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 31, 2007
        American Citizens who work for the government in sensitive areas need
        to have and protect their Security Clearances; if you are suspected
        of being in a subversive organization you could loose your clearance
        and your job. The American Metropolia had to have direct contacts
        with the Moscow Patriarchate to broker her Autocephaly and this in
        the time when the Soviet-Evil Empire had its grip on the Church in
        Russia. And no one lost their clearances! Why would now, when the
        Church in Russia calls its own shots, it be more of a security threat?

        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "David-Constantine Wright"
        <constantinewright@...> wrote:

        > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko"
        > <StefanVPavlenko@> wrote:
        > >
        > > The OCA Americans did not have their government security
        clearance
        > > jeopardized, and they were in union with Moscow when the Church
        was
        > > under the control of the Soviet Union--- the "Evil Empire", now
        the

        > The OCA did not and does not need Moscow's approval for the
        election
        > of its hierarchs and First Hierarch, unlike what will be the case
        > with ROCOR after 17 May.
        >
        > I don't understand your comment about "security clearances".
        >
        > In Christ Made Flesh,
        > Rd. DC
        >
        > +------------------------------------------------------------+
        > | Reader David-Constantine Wright |
        > | http://constans_wright.tripod.com |
        > +------------------------------------------------------------+
        > | "God became Human so that human beings could become gods." |
        > | ---- St. Athanasius the Great, *On the Incarnation* |
        > +------------------------------------------------------------+

      • Archpriest David Moser
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "vlutchenkov" <vlutchenkov@...>
          wrote:

          > --
          > PS. I respectfully ask that no one else get on this thread for a
          > while. Please allow it to run its course. Lurk, watch, stew,
          > (remember its Lent though), take notes, etc., but let us have the
          > opportunity to have an exchange one on one just for a bit. Thank
          > you.

          If you want a 1/1 exchange, then take it private. At least the rest
          of us won't have to read it.

          Archpr David Moser
        • vlutchenkov
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
            Father Bless,

            If you noticed I "respectfully" asked that it be done for a while.
            There appears to be a tendency on this list to take off on
            tangents. Thank you for your courteous input and added value to the
            discussion.

            Vova L.

            --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Archpriest David Moser"
            <moserd@...> wrote:

            > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "vlutchenkov" <vlutchenkov@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > --
            > > PS. I respectfully ask that no one else get on this thread for
            > > while. Please allow it to run its course. Lurk, watch, stew,
            > > (remember its Lent though), take notes, etc., but let us have
            the
            > > opportunity to have an exchange one on one just for a bit.
            Thank
            > > you.
            > >

            > If you want a 1/1 exchange, then take it private. At least the
            rest
            > of us won't have to read it.
            >
            > Archpr David Moser

          • George
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
              Does anyone know where you can buy tvorog in the United States?

              Thanks
              George
            • Hristofor/ХристофорЪ
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
                JUst about any Eastern-European store where there are some Russians or Poles
                living. The Lifeway Co, which makes kefir, sells krestianski tvorog. If you
                can't find that, farmer's cheese will also work.

                On 4/2/07, George <kharaku@...> wrote:

                > Does anyone know where you can buy tvorog in the United States?
                >
                > Thanks
                > George

              • boulia_1
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
                  In the States, I use Friendship brand farmer's cheese for tvorog...
                  you have to hunt around, as not all grocery stores carry it (but A&P
                  has it at a sale price through next week!) Also, you have to press
                  it through a fine sieve at least twice to get a good consistency, but
                  the Sirnaya Pascha that results is really worth the effort!

                  --Elizabeth Ledkovsky

                  --- In orthodox-
                  synod@yahoogroups.com, "Hristofor/ХристофорЪ"
                  <hristofor01@...> wrote:

                  > JUst about any Eastern-European store where there are some Russians
                  or Poles
                  > living. The Lifeway Co, which makes kefir, sells krestianski
                  tvorog. If you
                  > can't find that, farmer's cheese will also work.
                  >

                  > On 4/2/07, George <kharaku@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Does anyone know where you can buy tvorog in the United States?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks
                  > > George

                • Vassa Meister
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
                    For what it's worth I use a food processor to make the Sirnaya
                    Pascha. It sure saves time and effort!

                    In Christ,
                    Vassa

                    --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "boulia_1" <eledkovsky@...>
                    wrote:

                    > In the States, I use Friendship brand farmer's cheese for tvorog...
                    > you have to hunt around, as not all grocery stores carry it (but
                    A&P
                    > has it at a sale price through next week!) Also, you have to press
                    > it through a fine sieve at least twice to get a good consistency,
                    but
                    > the Sirnaya Pascha that results is really worth the effort!
                    >
                    > --Elizabeth Ledkovsky
                    >

                    > --- In orthodox-
                    > synod@yahoogroups.com, "Hristofor/ХристофорЪ"
                    > <hristofor01@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > JUst about any Eastern-European store where there are some
                    Russians
                    > or Poles
                    > > living. The Lifeway Co, which makes kefir, sells krestianski
                    > tvorog. If you
                    > > can't find that, farmer's cheese will also work.
                    > >

                    > > On 4/2/07, George <kharaku@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Does anyone know where you can buy tvorog in the United
                    States?

                    > > > Thanks
                    > > > George

                  • George
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
                      I'm confused.

                      what advantage would the food processor play? (we have one though we rarely use it...)

                      last year my wife tried to make Sirnaya Pascha but we couldn't find farmers cheese so we substituted cottage cheese which was hilareously bad. (very wet, wrong taste etc).

                      i did manage to pick up some Freindship brand farmers cheese today but i'm not sure if that's exactly right either...

                      George

                      On Monday, April 02, 2007, at 02:58PM, "Vassa Meister" <vtheb@...> wrote:
                      >For what it's worth I use a food processor to make the Sirnaya
                      >Pascha. It sure saves time and effort!
                      >
                      >In Christ,
                      >Vassa
                      >
                      >--- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "boulia_1" <eledkovsky@...>
                      >wrote:
                      >>
                      >> In the States, I use Friendship brand farmer's cheese for tvorog...
                      >> you have to hunt around, as not all grocery stores carry it (but
                      >A&P
                      >> has it at a sale price through next week!) Also, you have to press
                      >> it through a fine sieve at least twice to get a good consistency,
                      >but
                      >> the Sirnaya Pascha that results is really worth the effort!
                      >>
                      >> --Elizabeth Ledkovsky
                      >>

                      >> --- In orthodox-
                      >> synod@yahoogroups.com, "Hristofor/ХристофорЪ"
                      >> <hristofor01@> wrote:
                      >> >
                      >> > JUst about any Eastern-European store where there are some
                      >Russians
                      >> or Poles
                      >> > living. The Lifeway Co, which makes kefir, sells krestianski
                      >> tvorog. If you
                      >> > can't find that, farmer's cheese will also work.

                      >States?

                    • Vassa Meister
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
                        The food processor blends everything together very well and makes the
                        finished product very smooth and creamy. When you put it through a
                        sieve you have to do it at least two or more times, the food
                        processor just makes the process so much easier.

                        Vassa

                        -- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, George <kharaku@...> wrote:

                        > I'm confused.
                        >
                        > what advantage would the food processor play? (we have one though
                        we rarely use it...)

                        > last year my wife tried to make Sirnaya Pascha but we couldn't find
                        farmers cheese so we substituted cottage cheese which was hilareously
                        bad. (very wet, wrong taste etc).

                        > i did manage to pick up some Freindship brand farmers cheese today
                        but i'm not sure if that's exactly right either...

                        > George
                        >

                        > On Monday, April 02, 2007, at 02:58PM, "Vassa Meister" <vtheb@...>
                        wrote:
                        > >For what it's worth I use a food processor to make the Sirnaya
                        > >Pascha. It sure saves time and effort!
                        > >
                        > >In Christ,
                        > >Vassa
                        > >
                        > >--- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "boulia_1" <eledkovsky@>
                        > >wrote:
                        > >>
                        > >> In the States, I use Friendship brand farmer's cheese for
                        tvorog...
                        > >> you have to hunt around, as not all grocery stores carry it (but
                        > >A&P
                        > >> has it at a sale price through next week!) Also, you have to
                        press
                        > >> it through a fine sieve at least twice to get a good
                        consistency,
                        > >but
                        > >> the Sirnaya Pascha that results is really worth the effort!
                        > >>
                        > >> --Elizabeth Ledkovsky
                        > >>

                        > >> --- In orthodox-

                        synod@yahoogroups.com, "Hristofor/Ð¥Ã`€Ð¸Ã`Ã`‚оÃ`„оÃ
                        `€Ðª"

                        > >Russians
                        > >> or Poles
                        > >> tvorog. If you

                        > >States?

                      • Valeria Sajez
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
                          Dear George,

                          Friendship farmer's cheese is ok. Just be sure
                          to drain it for at least 24hrs in your frig under
                          some weight. You'll be surprised how wet it is.
                          It should be of a dry consistancy before you
                          start making your Sirnaja Pascha. I then put it
                          through a sieve 2 or 3 times the way my mom
                          always did. It has a nice smooth grain.

                          Valeria

                        • John
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
                            I have always used the Friendship brand available at Stop and Shop
                            and it make a great pascha. You do have to force it through a sieve
                            so be ready to sweat a while but it is well worth the effort.

                          • Carol
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
                              Recipe found for Tvorog:

                              Have to admit, I am maybe not the best one to know the recipes for Russian foods at all, but found this one and thought it may be helpful for those mentioning the Tvorog: Someone perhaps would be interested.

                              ( Homemade Farmers Cheese)

                              1/2 Gal Whole Milk

                              3 TBLSP of Sour Cream

                              Place milk and cheese in container ( not plastic)Let stand uncovered, in warm place (use pilot light, ) Until the milk curdles. About 48 hrs...

                              Line a fine Sieve with several layers of cheesecloth ,. Carefully place the curds , seperated from the whey ,into the sieve. Allow 2 hrs to drain over large bowl.

                              Plsace large plate over the curds, and a weight, such as a water filled jar, on the plate. Place in refrigerator and let drip until curds dry up, about 8 hours.. ( Less time for creamier cheese, and more for FARMERS CHEESE)

                              Do not know if helpful but I hope so.

                              In Christ,

                              Katherine

                              <hristofor01@...> wrote:

                              > JUst about any Eastern-European store where there are some Russians
                              or Poles
                              > living. The Lifeway Co, which makes kefir, sells krestianski
                              tvorog. If you
                              > can't find that, farmer's cheese will also work.
                              >

                              > On 4/2/07, George <kharaku@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Does anyone know where you can buy tvorog in the United States?
                              > >
                              > > Thanks
                              > > George

                            • Stephen/Στέφανος
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
                                I use Friendship Farmer's Cheese every year, and it makes great Syrnaya
                                Pascha!

                                Stephanos

                                George wrote:

                                > I'm confused.
                                >
                                > what advantage would the food processor play? (we have one though we
                                > rarely use it...)
                                >
                                > last year my wife tried to make Sirnaya Pascha but we couldn't find
                                > farmers cheese so we substituted cottage cheese which was hilareously
                                > bad. (very wet, wrong taste etc).
                                >
                                > i did manage to pick up some Freindship brand farmers cheese today but
                                > i'm not sure if that's exactly right either...
                                >
                                > George
                                >
                                > On Monday, April 02, 2007, at 02:58PM, "Vassa Meister"
                                > <vtheb@... <mailto:vtheb%40hotmail.com>> wrote:
                                > >For what it's worth I use a food processor to make the Sirnaya
                                > >Pascha. It sure saves time and effort!
                                > >
                                > >In Christ,
                                > >Vassa
                                > >
                                > >--- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
                                > <mailto:orthodox-synod%40yahoogroups.com>, "boulia_1" <eledkovsky@...>
                                > >wrote:
                                > >>
                                > >> In the States, I use Friendship brand farmer's cheese for tvorog...
                                > >> you have to hunt around, as not all grocery stores carry it (but
                                > >A&P
                                > >> has it at a sale price through next week!) Also, you have to press
                                > >> it through a fine sieve at least twice to get a good consistency,
                                > >but
                                > >> the Sirnaya Pascha that results is really worth the effort!
                                > >>
                                > >> --Elizabeth Ledkovsky
                                > >>

                                > >> --- In orthodox-
                                > >> synod@yahoogroups.com <mailto:synod%40yahoogroups.com>,

                                > >Russians
                                > >> or Poles
                                > >> tvorog. If you

                                > >States?

                              • (matushka) Ann Lardas
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 3, 2007
                                  --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" <weaver32@...> wrote:

                                  > Recipe found for Tvorog:
                                  >
                                  > Have to admit, I am maybe not the best one to know the recipes for
                                  Russian foods at all, but found this one and thought it may be
                                  helpful for those mentioning the Tvorog: Someone perhaps would be
                                  interested.

                                  > ( Homemade Farmers Cheese)
                                  >
                                  > 1/2 Gal Whole Milk
                                  >
                                  > 3 TBLSP of Sour Cream
                                  >
                                  > Place milk and cheese in container ( not plastic)Let stand
                                  uncovered, in warm place (use pilot light, ) Until the milk curdles.
                                  About 48 hrs...

                                  > Line a fine Sieve with several layers of cheesecloth ,. Carefully
                                  place the curds , seperated from the whey ,into the sieve. Allow 2
                                  hrs to drain over large bowl.

                                  > Plsace large plate over the curds, and a weight, such as a water
                                  filled jar, on the plate. Place in refrigerator and let drip until
                                  curds dry up, about 8 hours.. ( Less time for creamier cheese, and
                                  more for FARMERS CHEESE)

                                  > Do not know if helpful but I hope so.
                                  >
                                  > In Christ,
                                  >
                                  > Katherine

                                  In Houston, the ladies gave me a recipe for Farmer's Cheese which
                                  works most years. For some reason this recipe does not work in
                                  California, but in the archives of the Orthodox list you can find Fr.
                                  Alexey Chumakov's recipe for farmer's cheese using California milk.

                                  To make Farmer's Cheese outside of California, you scald one gallon
                                  of milk, remove it from the heat, and pour in one quart of buttermilk
                                  and cover it with cheese cloth or a towel and put it someplace out of
                                  drafts (mine goes behind the coffee maker). You leave it alone for a
                                  day and a night and a day and then put it in the oven on "warm" for
                                  an electric oven or just with the pilot on for a gas oven, overnight,
                                  and in the morning you have a chunk of curd floating in a sea of
                                  whey. When you drain the whey, the rest is the farmer's cheese. But
                                  use cloth (an old pillow case or tee shirt) rather than cheesecloth
                                  to strain it, as the weave on cheese cloth is too wide and the curds
                                  fall out.

                                  One gallon of milk plus one quart of buttermilk make approximately
                                  two and a half pounds of cheese.

                                  Locally, you can get Friendship Farmer's Cheese at Stop and Shop for
                                  prices ranging from $2.39 per pound (Seymore) to $4.09 per pound. In
                                  Texas they sold a Mexican brand of something they called Farmer's
                                  Cheese, but it was a harder cheese and made for a syrnaya pascha that
                                  tasted like salted erasers.

                                  Friends who've used ricotta or cottage cheese drain it in a sieve
                                  overnight and run it through the food processor or grind it through a
                                  sieve after.

                                  Wishing you a joyous upcoming Feast.

                                  In Christ,
                                  Matushka Ann Lardas
                                • Rebecca M
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 3, 2007
                                    --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "John" <JDikov@...> wrote:

                                    > I have always used the Friendship brand available at Stop and Shop
                                    > and it make a great pascha. You do have to force it through a sieve
                                    > so be ready to sweat a while but it is well worth the effort.

                                    It's a funny thing, but the original recipe I had said to do the sieve
                                    thing, and I did it for several years (ouch!). But one year I was
                                    really crunched for time and skipped that step, just breaking it up
                                    finely and (not for the faint of heart) squishing the final mixture
                                    through my fingers so it was completely mixed. The difference in
                                    texture of the result really wasn't great -- and so I started doing it
                                    without the sieve and have made tons of it that way without any
                                    issues. In fact, for a while at my old parish, the production of this
                                    recipe (without sieve) became a huge thing because everyone and their
                                    second cousin wanted some.

                                    Rebecca
                                  • Ekaterina Andreev
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007
                                      I have a really good and easy recipe for the cheese pascha using farmers cheese, please let me know if you want it.
                                      Katya

                                      George <kharaku@...> wrote:
                                      I'm confused.

                                      what advantage would the food processor play? (we have one though we rarely use it...)

                                      last year my wife tried to make Sirnaya Pascha but we couldn't find farmers cheese so we substituted cottage cheese which was hilareously bad. (very wet, wrong taste etc).

                                      i did manage to pick up some Freindship brand farmers cheese today but i'm not sure if that's exactly right either...

                                      George

                                      On Monday, April 02, 2007, at 02:58PM, "Vassa Meister" <vtheb@...> wrote:
                                      >For what it's worth I use a food processor to make the Sirnaya
                                      >Pascha. It sure saves time and effort!
                                      >
                                      >In Christ,
                                      >Vassa
                                      >
                                      >--- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "boulia_1" <eledkovsky@...>
                                      >wrote:
                                      >>
                                      >> In the States, I use Friendship brand farmer's cheese for tvorog...
                                      >> you have to hunt around, as not all grocery stores carry it (but
                                      >A&P
                                      >> has it at a sale price through next week!) Also, you have to press
                                      >> it through a fine sieve at least twice to get a good consistency,
                                      >but
                                      >> the Sirnaya Pascha that results is really worth the effort!
                                      >>
                                      >> --Elizabeth Ledkovsky
                                      >>

                                      >> --- In orthodox-
                                      >> synod@yahoogroups.com, "Hristofor/ХристофорЪ"
                                      >> <hristofor01@> wrote:
                                      >> >
                                      >> > JUst about any Eastern-European store where there are some
                                      >Russians
                                      >> or Poles
                                      >> > living. The Lifeway Co, which makes kefir, sells krestianski
                                      >> tvorog. If you
                                      >> > can't find that, farmer's cheese will also work.

                                      >States?

                                    • Ekaterina Andreev
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007

                                        George <kharaku@...> wrote:
                                        I'm confused.

                                        what advantage would the food processor play? (we have one though we rarely use it...)

                                        last year my wife tried to make Sirnaya Pascha but we couldn't find farmers cheese so we substituted cottage cheese which was hilareously bad. (very wet, wrong taste etc).

                                        i did manage to pick up some Freindship brand farmers cheese today but i'm not sure if that's exactly right either...

                                        George

                                        On Monday, April 02, 2007, at 02:58PM, "Vassa Meister" <vtheb@...> wrote:
                                        >For what it's worth I use a food processor to make the Sirnaya
                                        >Pascha. It sure saves time and effort!
                                        >
                                        >In Christ,
                                        >Vassa
                                        >
                                        >--- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "boulia_1" <eledkovsky@...>
                                        >wrote:
                                        >>
                                        >> In the States, I use Friendship brand farmer's cheese for tvorog...
                                        >> you have to hunt around, as not all grocery stores carry it (but
                                        >A&P
                                        >> has it at a sale price through next week!) Also, you have to press
                                        >> it through a fine sieve at least twice to get a good consistency,
                                        >but
                                        >> the Sirnaya Pascha that results is really worth the effort!
                                        >>
                                        >> --Elizabeth Ledkovsky
                                        >>

                                        >> --- In orthodox-
                                        >> synod@yahoogroups.com, "Hristofor/ХристофорЪ"
                                        >> <hristofor01@> wrote:
                                        >> >
                                        >> > JUst about any Eastern-European store where there are some
                                        >Russians
                                        >> or Poles
                                        >> > living. The Lifeway Co, which makes kefir, sells krestianski
                                        >> tvorog. If you
                                        >> > can't find that, farmer's cheese will also work.

                                        >States?

                                      • Carol
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 7, 2007
                                          Christ Is Risen!

                                          Modern, QUICK, but good, recipe for TVOROG: When not able to do traditional.

                                          I know this is going to get to everyone after Pascha and hope it was glorious and blessed for all!
                                          My husband and I ( because of fact that I have chronic illness problems and in so much pain ,needed to find a fast way to make Pascha cheese) We live in a very small town area and not any Greek or Russian stores or places to buy Farmers Cheese, so we thought I should try something,different at such a late notice, and must say it was not bad at all!

                                          ( Whipped, Cream Cheese, Philadephia brand) Purchase as much as you feel you need, I bought 2 lbs.
                                          Pascha:
                                          Then add the pineapple, and /or dried fruits, and the milk and sugar, eggs etc, whatever you would like as per YOUR favorite recipe.

                                          We also were able to purchase Amish Butter ,from a cheese factory down the road from us. This might have helped some, in the wonderful taste, am not sure, but thought it was not bad, at all, for people who are too ill, or too short of time, to make their own Farmers Cheese. Often people may not able to purchase it! Great substitute! Delicious on the Kulich and/ or Babka bread.

                                          He Is Risen Indeed!

                                          In Christ's love,

                                          Katherine