Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Letter to the Patriarch Alexi

  • George
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 30, 2007
      With all due respect I think some these are more rumor than truth. (The protestants have done much to color history with regard to church-government involvement).

      As I understand it Hosius of Cordoba felt the need for a council, as did Constantine who basically took his advice on Christianity from Hosius. Constantine offered to pay in full the travel cost for any bishop who wished to attend. Protestants often aledge that Constantine presided over the council and that he determined Arianism would be ex-communicated. Both these points are wrong. Firstly Constantine wasn't even present save for a speech he gave at the opening reminding folks that inciting violence over religious differences was dangerous, secondly Constantine FAVORED Arianism.

      I should like to see these other allegations examined as well.

      Western scholarship on this issue has often worked to try to paint Orthodoxy with the same brush with which it paint Roman Catholicism, and so many of these accusations are presented as facts sans evidence in western books.

      George Green