Indeed very acute and how distorted we have become vis a vis the pos

  • malcolm robertson
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 4 2:05 PM
      Dear Basil Yakimov,

      I think your Bishop has forgotten his place and indeed the very word of God. Presumptious isn't he and quite the Gentile leader - lording it over the flock.

      Because He lives,

      Malcolm
      ________________

      It seems this is the letter, some time back, that I reposted and at the
      behest of then Bishop Kyrill my archbishop banned me from the internet...

      Interesting but sad... the time will come even for a Bishop to answer.... we
      will all answer to GOD!

      unworthy protodeacon Basil from Canberra

      Dear brothers and sisters,
      NOTE THE LAST PARAGRAPH...the words of Met Philaret two weeks before his
      repose.

      ................................................................................\

      Subject: Fw: letters between Fr. Andrew Kencis and Vl. Kyrill..

      "The following is an exchange between +ROCOR Priest Andrew
      Kencis and Bishop Kyrill of Seattle concerning the re-posting of
      a letter between them.

      [Fr Andrew Kencis is now a ROCOR(V) priest serving in
      Edmonton Alberta CANADA]

      Subject: Re: a letter from Bishop Kyrill
      Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 12:45:01 -0600
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Vl. Kyrill: Dear in Christ Father Andrew,
      Personally, I have no quarrel with you - despite your "friendly"
      phone message several months past. I have not changed my
      views. They have remained the same - as we have discussed
      in Mulino.

      Fr. Andrew: Dear Bishop Kyrill,
      Forgive me but you have changed your views by your actions.
      I remember a Bishop [Kyrill] who inspired me when he said that
      he would not "seek after shiny miters" and "let them take our
      churches we will serve in living rooms!"

      I remember a Bishop [Kyrill] who would not serve with the
      Serbs and made a point about it... but now what do we
      see?

      The metropolitan told me many years ago "everyone will deny
      and condemn ecumenism, but when we look at their actions we
      see something else."

      I do not call you an ecumenist. I only see that you
      have bent yourself to the winds of Archbishop Mark.

      I still remember you telling me how he accompanied you on
      *a walk around central park* in New York trying to recruit you..
      Forgive me Vladika you have changed and I grieve.

      Vl. Kyrill: I feel that my statement need not be posted at this time -

      Fr. Andrew: "At this time?" Why not? It shows to people that indeed the
      church
      IS talking different then it did just a few years ago. Besides it was
      on the "official site" It is a public document.

      Vl. Kyrill: why did you return it to the website after you were
      instructed
      to remove it?

      Fr. Andrew: Because it need to be re-posted. Besides I received requests
      for
      it.

      Vl. Kyrill: Please remove it immediately.

      Fr. Andrew: I cannot...

      Vl. Kyrill: I simply want you to know that no one in their right mind
      wishes
      to join with the Moscow Patriarchate - the leader of which just
      recently stated that ecumenism is necessary in that it is impossible
      to ignore other christians (ed. hetrodox).

      Fr. Andrw: Then say so publicly! Then allow the Metropolitan's letter
      to be
      distributed.

      Also then tell me very clearly and without "a politicians guile"
      why the synod is...

      Vl. Kyrill: Our beloved Church Abroad has not changed her position of
      80 years past. If language, syntax lead people to feel otherwise,
      it is very unfortunate.

      Fr. Andrew: "very unfortunate!" Then why do the bishops show an
      unprecedented coldness and cruelty to those who asked
      questions? One of the most "milk toast" of our priests up
      here recently said to Bishop Michael... "Vladika all the bishops
      had to do is answer our questions at the first and all of this
      would have stopped immediately." Even father Christopher
      Birchall wrote this to Bishop Gabriel in January.

      But what do we see... we are assaulted and insulted by the likes
      of Lebedeff, Whitford, Shaw, Potopovs, etc.

      We see the French clergy brave in their stand for the truth of our
      church and the Mark machine trying to crush them to NO avail,
      we see every continent issuing statements. There has been NO
      peace in the church since your "errors of syntax" and NO
      attempts at calming the flock only threats and name calling.

      No Vladika please do not insult my intelligence with these
      low level attempts. You see I know too much of what is behind
      the scenes. I wish I didn't I would like to be back in those days of
      innocence.
      But I am not.

      May the Mother of God cover us with her omophorion.She will keep
      the true members and sons and Daughters of the confessing
      Church Abroad in full unity of this I am sure of.

      Metropolitan Philaret two weeks before his righteous end
      said that "after my death our beloved Church Abroad will break
      three ways... first the greeks will leave us as they where never
      a part of us... then those who live for this world and its glory will
      go to Moscow... what will remain will be those souls faithful to
      Christ and His Church."

      I never forgot this and believed that it would happen. Now I do.

      Priest Andrew Kencis "

    • Elias G Gorsky
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 4 8:14 PM
        I think Malcolm has forgotten his place and indeed the very word of God.
        Presumptuous isn't he and quite the cavalier - accusing a hierarch of the
        Church.

        With the Great Fast,
        Archpriest Ilya Gorsky

        Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 12:45:01 -0600
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • mclellanjos
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 4 9:18 PM
          Even more, Fr Ilya, one could ask Malcolm if he acknowledges the prerogative of an
          Orthodox bishop to take steps to see that his clergy exercise discipline and sobriety in the
          way they present themselves to the outside world. Or if an Orthodox bishop has the right
          or even option to take steps to protect his flock, or other bishops' flocks, from
          temptations that could arise from something intemperately posted by one of his
          clergymen.

          Because if a bishop is "quite the Gentile leader -- lording it over his flock" for doing such
          basic housekeeping, then what *is* the point of having bishops at all to "rightly divide the
          Word of Truth?" Why not then every man, woman, and protodeacon for himself, saying
          exactly what he pleases, when he pleases, to whom he pleases no matter what the
          consequences?

          Oh, wait, we have such religions. But they are not Orthodoxy.

          In Christ,
          Joseph

          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Elias G Gorsky <elias.gorsky@...> wrote:

          > I think Malcolm has forgotten his place and indeed the very word of God.
          > Presumptuous isn't he and quite the cavalier - accusing a hierarch of the
          > Church.
          >
          > With the Great Fast,
          > Archpriest Ilya Gorsky

        • malcolm robertson
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 5 8:19 AM
            Dear Archpriest Ilya Gorsky et al,

            I entertain no delusions about the holy, God ordained positions that the clergy hold within the Church. However, I do know who is her **Head** and **Who** is over her. Moses was faithful in the house - yet he too, like us all, are fallible. Moses did not enter the typological/symbolic promised land (but he did enter its antitype/Heaven/eternal rest). This was a consequence of God's holy rule and his judgement.

            The written word of God has been given to all God's children and is the canon/rule/measure by which we judge reality.

            Church history is full of woeful examples of misconduct and mismanagement of Church affairs - even unto this very day. The worthiness and value of anyone's carriage of his or her appointed station in life is judged against God's word. I am sorry that consequences are unavoidable in making determinations.

            Basil Yakimov's freedom does not amount to the rebellion of Korah, nor the violent evil of Alexander the coppersmith, nor the seduction of Hymeneus, nor the emptyheaded friviality of Simon Magus. Archbishop Kyrill has overstepped his authority and infringed upon the God given and inherent rights of one Basil Yakimov. The Archbishop is wrong. Basil, like the Holy Martyrs, is correct to refuse compliance knowing that it is better to obey God than man.

            Because He lives,

            Malcolm
            ______________-

            Re: Indeed very acute and how distorted we have become vis a vis the pos

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 5 8:54 AM
              Actually Dcn Basil is under the omophor of Archbishop Hilarion and not
              Archbishop Kyrill.

              On 3/5/07, malcolm robertson <mjriii2003@...> wrote:

              > Dear Archpriest Ilya Gorsky et al,
              >
              > Basil Yakimov's freedom does not amount to the rebellion of Korah, nor the
              > violent evil of Alexander the coppersmith, nor the seduction of Hymeneus,
              > nor the emptyheaded friviality of Simon Magus. Archbishop Kyrill has
              > overstepped his authority and infringed upon the God given and inherent
              > rights of one Basil Yakimov. The Archbishop is wrong. Basil, like the Holy
              > Martyrs, is correct to refuse compliance knowing that it is better to obey
              > God than man.
              >
              > Because He lives,
              >
              > Malcolm

            • mclellanjos
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 5 11:43 AM
                Dear Malcolm,

                There seems to be a great deal that you do not understand correctly about this situation.

                My first question is: are you an Orthodox christian? I ask because several things in your
                postings suggest you may not be. Malcolm is a very dear name to me, as it was my
                grandfather's, but still the number of Orthodox people named Malcolm must be small; I
                have never met a single one, unless you are the first. Your customary closing "Because He
                lives," while not problematic, is nevertheless not customarily used by Orthodox people in
                correspondence with other Orthodox people, and it sounds as if it comes from a different
                faith tradition. And your several references to another poster as "Basil Yakimov" rings
                strange, as he is not a layman, but a deacon, and one who has been elevated to the dignity
                of protodeacon. An Orthodox person, or at least one who was exhibiting good behavior
                (I'm afraid you can find contrary examples all over the Internet) would refer to him as "Fr.
                Protodeacon Basil," or "Protodeacon Basil," with or without reference to his surname
                afterwards. I am not suggesting you were behaving badly, but that you were either
                unaware of the protodeacon's standing as a member of the clergy, or else that you were
                unfamiliar with the convention.

                One other thing that suggests to me that you may not be Orthodox is what seems to be
                your confusion about clergy and their charism in general, and the particular charism of the
                Bishop in Orthodox theology. The Head of the Church is the eternal High Priest, the Lord
                Jesus Christ. And in the Orthodox Church the Bishops (a Greek word, used in Russian as
                well, to refer to bishops is "archiereus" / "arkhierei", or High Priest) are an image of the
                Lord, and the successors of the Apostles. It is one of the responsibilities of the bishop to
                maintain good order and decorum among the clergy. This role is not unlike that of a
                father in a family; when the clergy behave in ways that could harm the Church or cause
                scandal, he tells them to stop, and they are bound to obey. And in the case of
                Protodeacon Basil, he did obey, at least to the letter of the law. His bishop told him to
                cease posting on the Internet for a year, and he did so. So while Fr Basil may not have
                agreed with his bishop's directive, he understood his obligation to obey it and did so.

                Furthermore, Fr Basil's bishop is not Archbishop Kirill (of Western America and San
                Francisco), bur Archbishop Hilarion (of Syndey and Australia-New Zealand), as Fr Basil is a
                cleric of the latter diocese, serving in the Australian capital city of Canberra. If you knew
                Vladyka Hilarion, even by reputation, you could never have made the accusation that he
                overstepped his authority or behaved tyranically. I have known him for over 30 years and
                am sure that anyone else who knows him well would agree with me that as a spiritual
                father (confessor), diocesean administrator (vicar bishop) and ruling bishop, he has always
                issued correction of the people under his care gently, tactfully and with love.

                In general, knowing more about a situation before weighing in with an opinion helps us
                avoid making ill-considered judgements of our brothers and fathers in Christ

                With best wishes for a spiritually profitable lent,
                Joseph

                --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, malcolm robertson <mjriii2003@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > clergymen.
                >
                > Because if a bishop is "quite the Gentile leader -- lording it over his flock"
                > for doing such
                > basic housekeeping, then what *is* the point of having bishops at all to
                > "rightly divide the
                > Word of Truth?" Why not then every man, woman, and protodeacon for himself,
                > saying
                > exactly what he pleases, when he pleases, to whom he pleases no matter what the
                > consequences?
                >
                > Oh, wait, we have such religions. But they are not Orthodoxy.
                >
                > In Christ,
                > Joseph
                >
                > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Elias G Gorsky <elias.gorsky@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I think Malcolm has forgotten his place and indeed the very word of God.
                > > Presumptuous isn't he and quite the cavalier - accusing a hierarch of the

              • malcolm robertson
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 6 11:39 AM
                  Dear Joseph,

                  Thank you for your remarks. I am Russian/American but was not raised in the Orthodox tradition (by design). Consequently, orthodox civility and conventions are new to me to a degree. Both my father and grandfather were named Malcolm. Russian is my mother tongue. I am also conversant in a few others.

                  I was aware that protdeacon Basil Yakimov was from Australia and that Bishop Hilarion is his Bishop. My naming of Archbishop Kirill was my mistake apparantly.

                  However, I think that such directives that were issued were beyond the bounds of any clergic's function. I can not repent of this informed conviction. I have seen what such abuse of power can do and have not intentions of relenting my God given responsibilities to the arbitrary whims of another. In this case the hush-hush silence envoked by Archbishop Hilarion has revealed ulterior and alterior motives coming to the fore. Now I will say it plainly. It was and is an abuse of power and a spiteful intrigue.

                  Because He lives,

                  Malcolm
                  _______________

                • michael nikitin
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 6 1:07 PM
                    Shouldn't this Orthodox bishop give us his reason for changing
                    his belief, instead of banning someone? Would he have banned Fr.
                    Basil if he would have written what B.Kirill believes now, but
                    didn't then?

                    Fr.Ilya, is it true that Fr.George Larin threatened to ban a
                    parishioner in Nyack, NY.,because he was speaking out against
                    union with MP? Do you agree with this tactic?
                    Are people agreeing with MP union because they are afraid of
                    being banned?

                    Michael N

                    === message truncated ===

                    Get your own web address.
                  • boulia_1
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 6 6:20 PM
                      OK, let's all be honest here. Those earnest inquirers among you who
                      are relatively new to this forum, please understand why this old
                      story is being dredged up now.

                      The Father Protodeacon's banishment, if I recall, was several years
                      ago, now. What *could* the motive be for bringing it all up now?

                      Mike Nikitin has been following all this for a long time, too. I'd be
                      surprised if he hadn't seen Abp. Kyrill's article on why he "changed
                      his belief" -- or the interviews with him that addressed the same
                      topic. Were Mr. Nikitin's motives earnest, he might remind other
                      readers of these items, rather than post a rhetorical, accusatory
                      question that implies that the progression of Abp. Kyrill's thinking
                      on this weighty matter has not been publicly documented.

                      Instead, this "debate" stays mired in sludge, bogged down by
                      disingenuous participants who refuse to acknowledge any information
                      that contradicts their firm belief in a conspiracy theory, and who
                      continually bait readers with insinuating, scurrilous commentary that
                      does nothing edifying for anyone.

                      If anyone has time, perhaps they can locate the statements that
                      Vladyka Kyrill has made to explain the chronology of his position on
                      the ROC ("MP"). I have to get back to setting music for holy week.

                      In Christ's love,
                      Elizabeth

                      ______________
                      > Get your own web address.

                    • Archpriest David Moser
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 10 7:47 AM
                        "Hristofor/ХристофорЪ" <hristofor01@...> wrote:

                        > > Archbishop Kyrill (sic) has
                        > > overstepped his authority and infringed upon the God given and
                        inherent
                        > > rights of one Basil Yakimov. The Archbishop is wrong.

                        First - do you even know any of the people involved? Do you actually
                        know Protodeacon Basil? Do you actually know either Archbishop Kyrill
                        or Archbishop Hilarion? Are you at all familiar with any of the
                        events firsthand? From the tone of your comments I am under the
                        impression that you know very little.

                        Second - Before you go spouting off about what an Archbishop can and
                        cannot do with regard to disciplining his clergy, I suggest you go to
                        your parish and look at the "Compendium of ROCOR Laws". This book
                        (large format, black binding, bilingual in English and Russian) was
                        sent to all the parishes in the Russian Church Abroad and so each one
                        has a copy. In this book you will find out the rights, duties and
                        privileges of each class of clergyman in great detail. If you
                        actually look to see what "rights" a Protodeacon has and what "rights"
                        a ruling Archbishop has in his own diocese, then you might need to
                        revise your statement about who is infringing upon whose rights.

                        Archpr David Moser
                      • Archpriest David Moser
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 10 8:01 AM
                          <nikitinmike@...> wrote:

                          > Shouldn't this Orthodox bishop give us his reason for changing
                          > his belief, instead of banning someone? Would he have banned Fr.
                          > Basil if he would have written what B.Kirill believes now, but
                          > didn't then?

                          Actually Archbishop Kyrill has been quite free and forthcoming with
                          talking about why he changed his opinions. If you had been listening
                          at the time, you probably wouldn't even have a question about it. At
                          present, I am sure that Archbishop Kyrill would be more than happy to
                          respond to a respectful query about the development of his position
                          vis a vis the Moscow Patriarchate. However, let me also caution you
                          that Archbishop Kyrill is extremely busy and now has the complication
                          of broken foot and thus it is unlikely that he will have the leisure
                          to respond to such a request in what you might consider a timely fashion.

                          And again, you might want to get your facts straight if you wish to be
                          taken seriously. Archbishop Kyrill did not and could not "ban"
                          Protodeacon Basil, since the Protodeacon is not in his diocese.

                          Archpr. David Moser
                        • Archpriest David Moser
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 10 3:07 PM
                            --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Archpriest David Moser"
                            <moserd@...> wrote:

                            > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com,
                            > "Hristofor/ХристофорЪ" <hristofor01@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > Archbishop Kyrill (sic) has
                            > > > overstepped his authority and infringed upon the God given and
                            > inherent

                            Obviously Christopher did not write this - Malcom wrote it and
                            Christopher just quoted it. Sorry for any confusion.

                            Fr David