Re: Patriarch Alexy Wishes Success to Ecumenists

  • andreisoup
    Message 1 of 62 , Mar 2, 2007
      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Athanasios Jayne"
      <athanasiosj@...> wrote:

      > From the official website of the Moscow Patriarchate:
      >
      > His Holiness the Patriarch Meets Taize Delegation
      >
      > http://www.mospat.ru/index.php?page=31646
      >
      > Patriarch Alexy: "I wish from all my heart that his cause
      > may continue successfully', he said." [referring to "Brother
      > Roger," founder of Taize, and to his cause]
      >
      > "He [Patriarch Alexy] also said the Russian Orthodox Church
      > is open for dialogue and cooperation with Taize."
      >
      > What is "Taize"? What is the "cause" that Patriarch Alexy
      > wishes "from all his heart" will continue successfully?
      > What is it that the Patriarch is open to cooperating with?
      >
      > See for yourself at Taize's website: http://www.taize.fr/en
      >
      > "Taizé, in the south of Burgundy, France, is the home of an
      > international, ecumenical community, founded there in 1940
      > by Brother Roger. The brothers are committed for their whole
      > life to material and spiritual sharing, to celibacy, and to
      > a great simplicity of life. Today, the community is made up
      > of over a hundred brothers, Catholics and from various
      > Protestant backgrounds, from more than twenty-five nations.
      > At the heart of daily life in Taizé are three times of
      > prayer together."
      >
      > Taize (for anyone who doesn't know) is, and always has
      > been, a pre-eminent, if not THE pre-eminent icon of
      > Ecumenism, whose whole spirit is one of Ecumenism. Taize
      > itself confesses that "the heart of its daily life" is
      > nothing other than inter-heretical, syncretistic joint
      > prayers. That is, its "heart" is doing what is absolutely
      > contrary to Orthodoxy, and to the Ecumenical canons of
      > the Church. Taize's "cause" is nothing but Ecumenism
      > itself, as a means of uniting all "Christian Churches"
      > into one. This is the "cause" that Patriarch Alexy wishes
      > "from all his heart" to continue successfully. This is
      > what ROCOR's future First Hierarch is open to cooperating
      > with.

      Thanks for the link Athanasios.

      I followed it to this page: http://www.taize.fr/en_article3590.html ,
      where Brother Alois writes of their activities in Russia. I think it
      would be relevant to state one of the reasons why the Patriarch
      might be grateful to the brotherhood.

      Quoting from the article, "During that visit and on the eve of the
      profound changes that were to transform the country, Brother Roger
      understood still more the enormous needs of the Russian Orthodox
      Church in order to exercise its ministry. He grasped that it was
      essential to support it. In agreement with the patriarchate, Taizé
      had one million copies of the New Testament in Russian printed in
      France, in the synodal translation, and at the beginning of 1989 had
      them dispatched to Moscow, Kiev, Minsk and Leningrad so that the
      Orthodox parishes could distribute them. Three years later, in the
      same spirit, Taizé undertook the printing of extracts from the New
      Testament in Russian, Bulgarian and Romanian, and had them sent to
      the three patriarchates."

      One doesn't look a gift horse in the mouth?

      Best wishes,

      Andrei Souprounovich

      PS This brotherhood has its own agenda, granted. But when you're
      desperate, you get help where-ever you can. Along the same lines,
      The Catholic monks of Chevetogne printed both the square-note
      obikhod and triod - very useful, and I assume we're all quite
      grateful.

      > Athanasios Jayne
      > (ROCOR)

    • Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
      Message 62 of 62 , Mar 6, 2007
        The Church lives by the Holy Scripture does it not---its Yea is its
        Yea and its Nay is its Nay, NO?

        <athanasiosj@...> wrote:

        > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Rev. Alexander Lebedeff"
        > <lebedeff@> wrote:
        > >
        > > The document you refer to was approved by a Resolution of the
        > Council of the Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church. This approval
        > is recorded in the official record of the Council -- the Journal.
        The
        > Patriarch signs the official Journal, after which the decision is
        > official and is binding on the Church.
        > >
        > > Therefore the Document is officially the policy of the Church of
        > Russia and that has been confirmed by the signature of the
        Patriarch.<