Yesterday's reading from St. Tsaritsa Alexandra's favorite book

  • DDD
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2007
      Dear All,

      As I was reading this passage for yesterday, from "Day after Day: Diary of an Orthodox Priest: Short Spiritual Reflections for Every Day in the Year" I thought I'd share it, since it seems so appropriate at this time. The book was originally published in either 1908 or 1909, and was given to St. Tsaritsa Alexandra as a gift. It became her favorite book, which she always kept with her. Who the priest was is unknown, except that he lived in the 19th century.

      --Dimitra Dwelley

      Day 46
      February 15/28
      Preserve a spirit of meekness

      "The multitude of believers were of one heart and one soul"
      (Acts 4:32)

      We should turn our thoughts more often to the first ages of Christianity, when the whole of our Saviour's life was still fresh in the memory of His contemporaries. Unfortunately, this recollection was too swiftly erased from memory, and the spirit of unity and love that had reigned among the first followers of Christ vanished! We are far, now, from having "one heart and one soul." Namely, questions of faith more often than not engender enmity and discord among those who ought to be rallying together in one common, all-embracing, all-encompassing faith. Even if we understand and feel many things differently in the realm of religion, we ought to remember that God is One for everyone, and that a common faith which unites people should bring us to unanimity, and not to discord.
      When the Saviour quit this earth, He left His disciples a sacred testament: "Peace I leave you, My peace I give to you" (John 14:27), said He, and it is terrible to think how few Christians there were who managed to keep it! Even if we happen to come across opinions that we can't agree with, let us nevertheless always try to preserve a spirit of meekness, with which, alone, it is possible to prevail.
      By the power of the Holy Spirit, "when we have cleansed our souls for brotherly love, let us learn to love one another" (I Peter 1:22). When Christ takes up His abode in the heart, the fruit is love. Faith in Christ, and His teaching, should not separate us, but reconcile us, and instill in us unhypocritical, mutual brotherly love. For He is love, which is living and eternal, which raises a man's dead soul, which at all times is unfailingly the same, which never ceases to give life to all with whom it comes into contact: "And so, let us seek all that serves for peace and for mutual edification" (Romans 14:19).

      Translation c 2007 Dimitra Dwelley
    • DDD
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2007
        PS: If I myself have ever failed to preserve this spirit of meekness, I ask forgiveness!

        --Dimitra Dwelley