Copts and Armenians too now! Archbishop Mark leads the way.....?!?

  • Mitin, Stiva
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2007
      Athanasios,

      Akathists are paraliturgical services. According to the article, this was a
      choral concert and not even a service. However, if Copts and Armenians came
      to an Akathist where the Tikhvin icon was visiting (before it went back to
      Russia) or say the Sitka icon, would they be unable to pick up a prayer book
      and join us in prayer? What about the hundreds (if not thousands) of
      heterdox that came to pray and be annointed by Iverskaya ikona?

      You do realize, however, that some of our ROCOR choirs have paid singers,
      some of whom are not even Orthodox?

    • Archpriest David Moser
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2007
        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Mitin, Stiva"
        <pravoslavnajaRU@...> wrote:

        > You do realize, however, that some of our ROCOR choirs have paid
        singers,
        > some of whom are not even Orthodox?

        I remember back in the "old days" before the fall of the Soviet Union,
        in one ROCOR parish (old line, Russian immigration from WWI) there was
        a bit of a scandal just prior to the Paschal matins because the men's
        choir was to come *into the altar* to begin the hymn "Thy
        Resurrection" along with the priest. Generally not a problem, but the
        priest objected in this case since the paid choir director (who was
        one of the men to come in and sing) was a Jew! Of course there was
        not problem with the Jewish choir director leading the singing of the
        Paschal service, it was just that the priest didn't want him in the
        altar...

        Archpr David Moser