A sad item in Heirarchal Synod's Resolutions

  • Martinian Prince
    Message 1 of 62 , Feb 20, 2007
      I feel very saddened by one of the items listed in November/December
      2005 Resolutions of the Heirarchal Synod (ROCOR), the last article in
      Issue 6 of Orthodox Life (translated from the russian Church Life,
      numbers 1-2). I will paraphrase the report with some things in quotes.
      Please understand that the quotes are to highlight that this is the
      wording used in the magazine's report, not to imply that this was the
      exact wording of any correspondence, or to cast any underhandeded
      aspersions on the decisions and actions undertaken by any Heirarchs.

      It was resolved that a letter be sent from the Synod Heirarchs,
      concerning an uncanonical enthronement of a former ROCOR cleric, to
      Met. Cyprian of Fili, of the Greek Old-Calendar Church. The letter was
      to inform the Metropolitan that ROCOR was "forced to brake [sic] off
      Eucharistic Communion with them until there was a complete elucidation
      of this affair" at the Heirarchal Council in May of this year.

      It was still a shock, to read of the Greek Metropolitan's response,
      even though I heard of it before I read the article. In case there are
      any who did not know yet, Metropolitan Cyprian indicated "that their
      Synod adopted a similar decision on this question, and that the name
      of our Metropolitan was expunged from their diptychs already a year ago."

      Perhaps it's because it is Lent, or the dry, matter-of-fact way in
      which the loss of our communion with our Greek brethren is reported,
      but whatever the reason, I feel heartbroken for this loss.

      It may seem foolish to some, considering it took place some time ago,
      and relationships had been strained for some time. All I knew was that
      it was a temporary suspension, and now I read that it was not only
      mutual, but that the Greek Metropolitan apparently did it long before!
      So sad to see how cold and distant the relationship had become, that
      we had to "break up" by mail a year after the fact.

      What a burden our Heirarchs bear. It's hard to know there is nothing
      more helpful I can do to support them than to pray for them. I'm sorry
      I haven't prayed for them more, when I read about the weighty
      decisions they must make.

      Forgive me!

      SD Martinian
    • Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
      Message 62 of 62 , Mar 6, 2007
        The Church lives by the Holy Scripture does it not---its Yea is its
        Yea and its Nay is its Nay, NO?

        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Athanasios Jayne"
        <athanasiosj@...> wrote:

        > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Rev. Alexander Lebedeff"
        > <lebedeff@> wrote:
        > >
        > > The document you refer to was approved by a Resolution of the
        > Council of the Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church. This approval
        > is recorded in the official record of the Council -- the Journal.
        The
        > Patriarch signs the official Journal, after which the decision is
        > official and is binding on the Church.
        > >
        > > Therefore the Document is officially the policy of the Church of
        > Russia and that has been confirmed by the signature of the
        Patriarch.<