Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Propriety -was- ROCOR and MP

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2007
      Dear in Christ Micheal,

      I said I was sorry to Fr John. A Priest, it is TRUE, is to be shown repect by the uneducated in Christ. Of course, many became saints in the past and were thought to be ignorant to the world. They need respect as they set up communion and can give blessings etc, but yet, God looks inward to the hearts of man ( and women for that matter) Woman need to ask, and I did ask a question of those here who I thought were so much more learned then me, and so you TRULY are. But remember , we 'lay people' were of the ignorant class, and so what can you expect from us? Would not be expected to have wonderful grammer or such great way with words. we are not capable of understanding all that you do. We must ASK, in order to know, BUT in the future will just read the forum to learn and not voice, one thing, will go to my spritual father and godfather priest/Monk for help in the future as they do not ever seem to mind the love I have for them. They get much more respect then anyone could receive. but then again, they do not try to 'show' how educated they are. My spritual father is a candidatefor a doctorate, and even he, does not 'lord' it over me. I guess, I would not mind being corrected, if I was the one who wrote the whole letter you were ( well not you, but Fr. John) referring to, but I was innocent in the whole thing. I do not know Fr John it is true, as I am new here, and do know that I have respect for all clergy. But then again in my ignorance while a Protestant, I was a minister, myself.

      Anyway on my part I FORGIVE,, and ASK forgiveness, from EVERYBODY here for being so ignorant. Thank you for being quick to point out my faults. I will learn from them for the future. Now I will listen to all of you, and learn from you. Am glad to be among the learned as it is good for me, to become educated in the faith. Thank you so much for pointing this out to me, will be ever so careful in the future to be respectful, and will try to use spell check, If I should write in the future. I did not mean to upset anyone, nor show disrespect to anyone just asked a SIMPLE so I thought, question. Did learn alot though,from all this. I can learn much more by just being a quiet bystander, here. I was so happy to find an Orthodox site to share, did not expect that grammer was corrected, so misunderstood, sorry once more. I do not hold grudges, nor anger,so as far as I am concerned it is over and done. A lesson learned, forgivness is now yours to give or hold, back. God knows the heart and what should be done in this matter, of misunderstandings.

      In Christ,

      Katherine

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2007
        Dear Katherine,

        I sent my response prior to your response, but it
        displayed after yours did.

        I think I need to ask your forgiveness for my hasty
        reply.

        Sincerely,

        Michael

        === message truncated ===

        Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.
      • Carol
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 3, 2007
          Dear in Christ, Michael,

          Certainly, you are more than forgiven. I spoke hastily, also.

          In Christ's love,

          --- Carol <weaver32@...> wrote:

          > Dear in Christ Micheal,
          >
          > I said I was sorry to Fr John. A Priest, it
          > is TRUE, is to be shown repect by the uneducated
          > in Christ. Of course, many became saints in the
          > past and were thought to be ignorant to the world.
          > They need respect as they set up communion and can
          > give blessings etc, but yet, God looks inward to the
          > hearts of man ( and women for that matter) Woman
          > need to ask, and I did ask a question of those here
          > who I thought were so much more learned then me, and
          > so you TRULY are. But remember , we 'lay people'
          > were of the ignorant class, and so what can you
          > expect from us? Would not be expected to
          > have wonderful grammer or such great way with words.
          > we are not capable of understanding all that you do.
          > We must ASK, in order to know, BUT in the future
          > will just read the forum to learn and not voice, one
          > thing, will go to my spritual father and godfather
          > priest/Monk for help in the future as they do not
          > ever seem to mind the love I have for them. They get
          > much more respect then anyone could receive. but
          > then again, they do not try to 'show' how educated
          > they are. My spritual father is a candidatefor a
          > doctorate, and even he, does not 'lord' it over me.
          > I guess, I would not mind being corrected, if I was
          > the one who wrote the whole letter you were ( well
          > not you, but Fr. John) referring to, but I was
          > innocent in the whole thing. I do not know Fr John
          > it is true, as I am new here, and do know that I
          > have respect for all clergy. But then again in my
          > ignorance while a Protestant, I was a minister,
          > myself.
          >
          > Anyway on my part I FORGIVE,, and ASK forgiveness,
          > from EVERYBODY here for being so ignorant. Thank you
          > for being quick to point out my faults. I will learn
          > from them for the future. Now I will listen to all
          > of you, and learn from you. Am glad to be among the
          > learned as it is good for me, to become educated in
          > the faith. Thank you so much for pointing this out
          > to me, will be ever so careful in the future to be
          > respectful, and will try to use spell check, If I
          > should write in the future. I did not mean to upset
          > anyone, nor show disrespect to anyone just asked a
          > SIMPLE so I thought, question. Did learn alot
          > though,from all this. I can learn much more by just
          > being a quiet bystander, here. I was so happy to
          > find an Orthodox site to share, did not
          > expect that grammer was corrected, so misunderstood,
          > sorry once more. I do not hold grudges, nor anger,so
          > as far as I am concerned it is over and done. A
          > lesson learned, forgivness is now yours to give or
          > hold, back. God knows the heart and what should be
          > done in this matter, of misunderstandings.
          >

          > In Christ,
          >
          > Katherine

          === message truncated ===

        • polychrony
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 7, 2007
            --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Michael Coleman
            <usmichaelnew@...> wrote:

            [snip]

            > As well, we laity ought not to bless priests, for again, as our
            >fathers in the Lord, it is they who offer a blessing to us as laity
            >by the grace of their ordination.

            But we can bless the Mother of God, and we can, and are even called
            upon, to "bless the Lord at all times."

            Does this not imply, Michael, that the church leadership asks for
            itslef a kind of deferential treatement than even God does not
            indicate for Himself?

            And Katherine wrote,

            >From now on I will ask my spiritual father the Dean of the
            >monastery/seminary in which I attend church. Or even the priest who
            >is a teacher, at the seminary and my husbands, godfather. I will not
            >bother to post here, to have spelling corrected, as to 'bring someone
            >down'

            Which I suggests overlooks the benefits of communication with ones
            fellow Christians. Some might be glad to see others cower in a public
            forum and retreat from open questions. I suggest to you the opposite,
            we take all of this as an opportunity for spiritual maturation, and
            let us all grow together.

            Yours in Christ,

            Polychronios
          • Athanasios Jayne
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 8, 2007
              An Open Letter From Mt. Athos

              December, 2006

              To the Holy Abbots and the Holy Representatives of the Sacred Twenty
              Monasteries in the Sacred Community of the Holy Mount Athos

              Holy Abbots and Holy Fathers,

              Bless!

              We desire at the present time to express our deepest concern and
              sadness for all that is taking place for years now, in our Holy
              Orthodoxy, the deconstruction of the teaching of the Holy Apostles and
              of the Holy Fathers and the antithesis to all the sacred canons
              enacted by the
              ecumenical and local synods. We wonder if some ecumenical synod has
              been assembled and abolished the canons which forbid the joint prayer
              with heretics, or if the Pope repented and renounced the heresies of
              the Filioque, of primacy, of infallibility, of unleavened bread, of
              the purifying fire [purgatory], of created grace, of the immaculate
              conception of the Most Holy Theotokos, and so many others, most of
              which he has been condemned and anathematized numerous times by
              Orthodox Synods and by the entirety of the Holy Fathers.

              Heaven was angered and the Holy Fathers exceedingly saddened by the
              spectacle and by hearing about all that took place at the Phanar
              (neighborhood in which the Ecumenical Patriarch resides in
              Istanbul-Ed. note) during the feast of the Holy Apostle Andrew on the
              30th of November of the current year.

              Unprecedented and unheard of things in the two thousand year history
              of the Church. "The scornful marginalization of the dogmas of the
              Fathers, the annihilation of the Apostolic traditions, the
              introduction of novelties into the churches by contemporary
              personalities," as St. Basil the Great says, regarding comparable
              events during his own time.

              Everything happened literally upside-down.

              Instead of the heretical Pope being cast down, as we see the heretics
              depicted in the Icons of the Holy Synods, and being ejected from the
              Divine Liturgy, as required by the liturgical command, "the doors, the
              doors, in wisdom let us attend," we placed him on a high throne, where
              he sat and along with others, he too, wore an omophorion, the Orthodox
              deacons censed him, the Patriarch exchanged the Liturgical Kiss with
              him at the "let us love one another," and he recited as though being
              the one in charge, the proestos, the "Our Father…," and the chorus of
              the sacred cantors chanted to him the "Many Years," and a specially
              composed hymn from an Athonite hymnographer – Lord, have mercy! – if,
              of course, the journalistic communications are true.

              And he was permitted to give the congregation his blessing, rather,
              his madness according to the sacred canons.

              We allowed the Church militant on earth to be divided from the Church
              triumphant of the Saints in heaven and to be united to churches and
              assemblies of evil heretics.

              We insulted all of the holy martyrs and confessors who struggled to
              the point of blood against the heresies, because we present their
              struggles, their martyrdoms and their confessions as unbeneficial and
              useless.

              Will not the blessed Holy Mountain Fathers who were martyred by
              [Ecumenical Patriarch John - Ed. note] Bekkos because they refused to
              receive him and to commemorate the Pope, be sorry, seeing us not only
              to reject their example with our silence, but to do the opposite?

              Why then did all of the previous martyrs undergo martyrdom and why did
              the confessors stand fast in their profession of the Faith?

              You know, Reverend Fathers, better than we do, of all the
              anti-Orthodox and blasphemous actions, statements, and decisions of
              the Ecumenical Patriarch and other heads of institutions, Abbots and
              Bishops who loudly and overtly advise – bareheadedly – the acceptance
              and teaching of the panheresy of Ecumenism.

              It is the greatest ecclesiological heresy of all ages.

              It rejects the uniqueness of the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic
              Church and, equates it to the heresies, by accepting their Mysteries
              as having and communicating, sanctifying and saving grace.

              Besides recognition of the baptism of Papists and Lutherans, we also
              have participation in the common chalice with Monophysites and in many
              instances with the Papists in the Cyclades [islands in Aegean Sea,
              Greece Ed. note] and in the Diaspora.

              We have now realized with greater sadness, that the spiritual
              leadership of the Holy Mountain of the last years has not confronted
              with fortitude and confessional courage, these manifest appearances of
              apostasy, as the
              Athonite Fathers of bygone times did.

              The Patriarch has gauged our responses and because they have been
              half-hearted, and many times non-existent, he proceeds without any
              obstacles into union with the Pope, who is unrepentant and remains in
              heresies.

              He gauged us and was exceedingly glad also at his last visit to the
              Holy Mountain to make it appear that he came to receive the consent
              and blessing of the Athonites for all the things that he had already
              planned to do with the Pope a few days later.

              We, the humble priestmonks and monks, in the form of confession
              disclose to you that we have been scandalized by the silence and
              inaction of our spiritual authorities on Mount Athos, and together
              with us, all the people of Greece and all Orthodox around the globe,
              as well as those who are sympathetic to monastics.

              They all are waiting to hear the voice of Mount Athos.

              From you, the wisest and most sage, we have learned that when the
              faith is endangered, we are all accountable if we are silent and
              shrink back, as St. Theodore the Studite says. Particularly, a monk
              must not allow the slightest innovation in matters of the faith,
              according to the same
              holy Father and great monastic leader and organizer of monastic life
              and the Elder of us all. He did not fear the threats and the
              persecutions of the iconoclastic, Emperors and Patriarchs, but even
              within the environs of Constantinople, within the enclosure of the
              Great Sacred Monastery of Studion, he organized a procession with a
              thousand torch bearing monks, who held the forbidden holy icons in
              their hands.

              Ten thousand monks in Palestine, under leadership of Saints Savvas the
              Sanctified and Theodosios the Cenobite, these great monastic leaders,
              assembled together long before in Jerusalem, and saved Orthodoxy from
              the heresy of Monothelitism.

              Who is going to save the Church today from the panheresy of Ecumenism
              and the deceit of Papism?

              The letters of protest, which the Sacred Community has sent from time
              to time to the Ecumenical Patriarch did not bring about any results.

              There is no more time for words. It is time for action.

              We, unlearned and wretched sinners, do not want to teach you, nor do
              we want to present ourselves as confessors.

              We just want to set at ease our Orthodox monastic conscience; We want
              to especially honor the holy martyrs and confessors, particularly
              those ones martyred by Bekkos.

              We want to honor and follow their conduct.

              To not shrink back and place the monasteries and our brotherhoods
              above the purity of the faith, above God, and the truth.

              We believe that after so many oral and written protests and pleas,
              after so many retractions [i.e., going back one's word], retreats, and
              compromises, the only thing which will gladden the Orthodox and shame
              the heretic, is a cessation of the commemoration of the Patriarch's name
              (as Esphigmenou Monastery has bravely done for decades now under its
              fearless Abbot Archimandrite Methodios and his ever-memorable
              predecessors the holy Abbots Athanasios and Euthymios - is currently
              being mercilessly persecuted by His All Holiness and the Greek
              Government and some in the Holy Community in Athos-Editor' s Note) in
              the services and not only that, but the cessation of commemoration of
              the names in all the services, of all the bishops agreeing with him
              wherever they may be around the World who remain silent.

              Gather together, holy Fathers, the monks of all the Monasteries, of
              the Sketes, of the Kellia, in a militant all monastic assembly, either
              within or outside the Holy Mountain and knock down the towers of
              heresy, of Papism, of Ecumenism.

              Take on the good fight of the Faith.

              We, if you remain inactive, will prefer doing things pleasing to God
              and not things pleasing to man.

              May God enlighten us all, and may the Most Holy Theotokos cover and
              bless Her Garden and protect the Orthodox Church from those warring
              against Her and from those heretics warring against the Saints, as
              well as from cowardly shepherds who leave the flock unprotected from
              attacks of the wolves.

              Finally, asking for your blessings, we conclude with respect,

              Hieromonk Ephraim, former abbot, Elder of the Skete of Apostle Andrew
              and the brotherhood with me, of the Holy Monastery of Vatopedi.

              Elder Hieromonk Eustratios, Great Laura Monastery.

              Elder Hieromonk Poimen, Holy Monastery of Zographou

              Elder Hieromonk Basileios, Holy Monastery of Zographou

              Elder Hieromonk Bessarion, Holy Monastery of Zographou

              Monk Nikodemos (Bilalis, Sacred Cell "of the Presentation" from Kapsala

              Monk Artemios, Great Laura Monastery

              Priestmonk Hilarion, Great Laura Monastery

              Paisios Monk, Great Laura Monastery

              Savvas Monk, Great Laura Monastery

              Sacred Deacon Chariton, Great Laura Monastery

              Chariton Monk, Karoulia, Great Laura Monastery

              Athanasios Monk, Karoulia, Great Laura Monastery

              Elder Vlasios Monk,Kserokalyvo Viglas, Great Laura Monastery

              Akakios Monk Sacred Place of Holy Trinity (Kyr Isaiah) Great Laura
              Monastery

              Elder Isaiah Monk, Kellion of the Birth of the Mother of God, Great
              Laura Monastery

              Cherubim Monk, Sacred place of the Archangels, Great Laura Monastery

              Hieromonk Damaskinos, Kellion of Holy Trinity at Karyes, Great Laura
              Monastery

              Elder Nektarios Monk, Kellion of Holy Trinity at Karyes, Great Laura
              Monastery

              Elder Theolyptos Monk and the fathers with him; Kellion of the Sacred
              Forerunner,St. Anne's Skete, Great Laura Monastery

              Hieromonk Gabriel, Sacred Kellion of St. George (Kartsounaion) Sacred
              Skete of St. Anne, Great Laura Monastery

              Hieromonk Chrysostomos Kartsonas, Great Laura Monastery

              Elder Kosmas Monk,Sacred Hut of St. Demetrios, Skete of Saint Anne,
              Great Laura Monastery

              Elder Panteleimon Monk, Sacred Kellion of St. Panteleimon, Sacred
              Skete of Holy Trinity, Great Laura Monastery

              Elder Sophronios Monk, Sacred Hut of Entrance of the Theotokos, Sacred
              Skete of Holy Trinity, Great Laura Monastery

              Parthenios Monk, Sacred Hut Entrance of Theotokos, Sacred Skete of
              Holy Trinity Great Laura Monastery

              Athanasios Monk at Vouleutiria, Great Laura Monastery

              Elder Hieromonk Serapheim, Kellion of All Saints, Skete of Saint Anne,
              Great Laura Monastery

              Elder Daniel Monk, Saint Anne's, Great Laura Monastery

              Elder Gerasimos Monk Sacred Hut of St. George, Katounakia, Great Laura
              Monastery

              Elder Hieromonk Benediktos, Kellion of Ss Konstantine and Eleni,
              Vatopedi Monastery

              Paisios Monk, Kellion of Archangels (Savvaion) Karyes, Hilandari Monastery

              Silouanos Monk Sacred Hut of St. Nicholas, Nea Skete, St. Paul Monastery

              Gabriel Monk Kellion of Koutloumousiou of Saint Christodoulos

              Dositheos Monk, Koutloumousiou Monastery Place

              Elder Nektarios Monk, Sacred Hut of Holy Trinity, Skete of
              Koutloumousiou Monastery

              Paisios Monk, Kellion of Saint Barbara, Koutloumousiou Monastery

              Elder Moses Monk, Kellion St. John Chrysostomos, Skete of St.
              Panteleimonos, Koutloumousiou Monastery

              Elder Hieromonk Abraaham, Sacred Hut of St Gerasimos Kefalinias, Skete
              of St. Panteleimonos, Koutloumousiou Monastery

              Elder Spyridon Monk, Kellion of St. Nicholas, Koutloumousiou Monastery

              Theodoulos Monk, formerly of Koutloumousiou Monastery

              Elder Hieromonk Chrysostom, Kellion of St. Spyridon of Kerkyra,
              Koutloumousiou Monastery

              Hilarion Monk, Sacred Place of Doheiariou Monastery ( Platon area)

              Elder Nikodemos Monk, Kellion of St. Nektarios Kapsala, Pantokratoros
              Monastery

              Hieromonk Gabriel, Kellion of Quick to Hear Mother of GOD,
              Pantokratoros Monastery

              Isaac Monk, Kellion of Birth of Mother of GOD, Kapsala, Pantokratoros
              Monastery

              Elder Athanasios Monk, Kellion of St . Athanasios, Pantokratoros Monastery

              Elder Meletios Monk, Birth of Theotokos, Kapsala, Pantokratoros Monastery

              Elder Gregory Monk Kellion of St. Nicholas, Kapsala, Pantokratoros
              Monastery

              Elder Onoufrios Monk, Kellion Dormition of Theotokos, Karyes

              Elder Nicholas Monk, Kellion of St. Demetrios, Karyes

              Hieromonk Gabriel, Kellion of Holy Archangels (Kombologas) Karyes

              These are the names, thus far, of Fathers and Monks as of this
              publishing, who up to now commemorated Ecumenical Patriarch
              Bartholomew. There are many others who are now asking to add their
              names to this list of Holy Mountain Orthodox confessors .

              Originally published in the Greek Periodical Saint Agathangelos.
            • Michael Coleman
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 8, 2007
                Polychronios, and Fathers bless!

                I would ask of those more senior in the Faith, especially our priests on the List (Fr. Alexander, Fr. John, et al) to correct what I say if I am wrong:

                You are correct as to the wording that we are to bless the Mother of God and the Lord as well as for priests and bishops to bless us, but are these not different uses of the term to bless? For even in English, this term is used to connote praising and glorifying as well as to invoke divine care for (or to hallow or consecrate by religious rite) respectively. I would dare say that we should all bless (praise and glorify) the Theotokos and the Lord Himself as is their due but would never deign to bless Them in order to hallow or consecrate them. For they stand in such a high spiritual place relative to you and me, I believe it would be presumptuous for us to bless Them; they ought to bless us, for they have all blessing. And we are in need of it.

                So, because the term to bless is used with different meanings, I would continue to say that we laity ought not to bless priests, for we do not give the grace of blessing to them (other than metaphorically), but they to us.

                Sincerely,

                Michael
                St Luke Antiochian
                Garden Grove, CA

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 8, 2007
                  In a message dated 2/8/2007 10:48:12 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  athanasiosj@... writes:

[...]

                  Great! and wonderful English too, which is not bad for a group that doesn't
                  speak much English. I find it really curious that not a single serving
                  abbot signed this petition, because that is what it is, and that the petition
                  ends with the same flourish of hyperbole I have come to associate with
                  Esphigmenou's major propagandists residing in NewYork. Either way, looks like for
                  these monks, it's open rebellion, whichn is also not the way of a monk.

                  Vova H.

                • DDD
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 8, 2007
                     On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 07:20:31 -0000, Katherine? Michael? quoted by Polychrony wrote:

                     But we can bless the Mother of God, and we can, and are even called
                     upon, to "bless the Lord at all times."

                     Does this not imply, Michael, that the church leadership asks for
                     itslef a kind of deferential treatement than even God does not
                     indicate for Himself?

                    Not at all.  "Bless" or "blagoslovlyat'" has two different meanings:

                    1) to give praise (This is how we "bless the Lord" or call the Mother of God "Blessed."

                    2) To bestow a blessing or grace.  This is the prerogative only of God, shown through His clergy.   (Notice we are calling the Mother of God (already) "blessed" --by God.  We are not saying to Her, "I bless you.")

                    Converts often think they are saying something nice if they call God's blessing on a priest, but don't realize how "rude" it sounds to Orthodox ears, where it's not our place to bless the priest, but his to bless us.  A matter of acquiring an "Orthodox mindset."

                    And, further, it's not the "Church leadership" (an odd term) that asks for itself this prerogative, but the laity who give it to them, understanding that it belongs to clergy, not laity.  Likewise, a priest does not "ask for himself" the title of "Father," and signs his name (in formal documents, at least) "Priest so-and-so," but the *laity* *give* him the title of "father."   Though, I admit, St. Paul was much bolder, and said, "Ye have not many fathers in Christ, but *I* begot you!"

                    Well, I hope I am not also out of place to put this forth, and gladly accept correction from our clergy if it is not accurate.

                    --Dimitra Dwelley