Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: ROCOR and Moscow Orthodox Mother Church joining together,

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2007
      Dear Fr John,

      Am surprised that someone as yourself, would stoop so low as to correct ( publically) peoples spelling.
      First of all, I am the one who wrote 'anotherwards', but am not the one who wrote about the Russian 'friend', so you were speaking to TWO seperate people at once, only correcting, MY spelling, not my words.

      In my writing, I said, that I was NEW to Orthodox faith and ASKED questions did not STATE anything about the 'friend' but that from my understanding in the future we could end up joining the ecumenical movement. The 'thoughts' were similiar, but the speakers entirely dfferent. This was my concern, and I made that clear. I wondered what others thought on this matter...

      Be careful whom are are answering in the future. The spelling is not half as important as the 'meaning' of the words spoken. AGAIN, I am not the same person who wrote BOTH , so YOU evidently are misinformed on the person to be corrected, unless you were trying to answer TWO postings, at once?.

      Besides this other person was just , I believe, making a point of something, they BELIEVED to be true from WORDS of someone else, not their own.

      You are forgiven, by me anyway, for your 'public' correction on such a personal account as spelling. When I joined this group I did not join to have people correct my spelling, I am not in class. You may e-mail me in 'private' to correct me, though. I can accept criticism, do not mind at all, but this kind of criticism is not called for on this PUBLIC site. Maybe the topic, is TOO HOT for you, but we cannot help that, we are only asking questions from people who we think may be more informed,. From now on I will ask my spiritual father the Dean of the monastery/seminary in which I attend church. Or even the priest who is a teacher, at the seminary and my husbands, godfather. I will not bother to post here, to have spelling corrected, as to 'bring someone down' ( He will be coming soon, to bless our home.)

      May the Lord shine His blessings on you.

      In Christ,

      Katherine

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2007

        ?

        but this kind of
        �criticism is not called for on this PUBLIC site. Maybe the topic, is
        �TOO HOT for you, but we cannot help that, we are only asking
        �questions from people who we think may be more informed,. From now
        �on I will ask my spiritual father the Dean of the monastery/seminary
        �in which I attend church. Or even the priest who is a teacher, at
        �the seminary and my husbands, godfather. I will not bother to post
        �here, to have spelling corrected, as to 'bring someone down' ( He
        �will be coming soon, to bless our home.)

        I think Fr. John is just *very* scholarly and takes his spelling *very* seriously, that's all! You'll see that others get proofread, too! :) Don't be upset with him....

        Cheers,
        Dimitra Dwelley

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2007
          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" <weaver32@...> wrote:

          > Am surprised that someone as yourself, would stoop so low as to correct (publically)
          >peoples spelling.

          JRS: Let me assure you I had no ill intent.

          Years ago, when I was in college and sometimes wrote letters in Russian to certain of our
          bishops, I sometimes got (quite kindly) corrections in their replies.

          As a result, I learned something each time.

          There is no shame in making a mistake, but now at least you know about "in other words".

          > AGAIN, I am not the same person who wrote BOTH , so YOU evidently are misinformed
          > on the person to be corrected, unless you were trying to answer TWO postings, at once?

          JRS: Why not? It's common enough practice on the internet.

          > I can accept criticism, do not mind at all, but this kind of criticism is not called for
          > on this PUBLIC site.

          JRS: Obviously you have not been on the internet long, or else you would have seen how
          people have attacked *me* over the years: and they can be a lot nastier than making
          grammatical corrections!

          > I will not bother to post here, to have spelling corrected, as to 'bring someone down'

          JRS: I was in no way trying to "bring you down".

          I was not even sure who had written "anotherwards".

          To be sure, people react to things in different ways.

          In this case, I think you are over-reacting.

        • Carol
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2007
            Thank you. Have been known to 'over-react' , on occassion. Sorry. Still learning to talk less, and listen more, in order to learn . A very good lesson.